Subaru response to navigation software--"use your phone" - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subaru response to navigation software--"use your phone"

I went to the International Car show this past weekend and a rep from Subaru says he tells everyone to use their cell phone for navigation (Waze, Google, ect). I got the latest version (free) about 2 weeks ago and sales person at the local dealership said "its better, more colorful, more intuitive." After I spent about 10 minutes playing with it and saw nothing really changed, I walked back in and talk to the guy and asked him to show me the changes and his response "I havent seen it or read anything...just what I heard". My opinion after the new release, it still is behind the very basics of GPS technology. From what Im hearing first hand and reading, its a big black eye for Subaru in customer satisfaction. Sad when a free application is light years ahead of Subaru---its only software people.

2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, Special Appearence Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, Navigation, Puddle Lights, Moonroof, Back Up Camera, BlueTooth, Smart Remote Start, Arch Moldings, Moon roof/Hood deflectors,Dual Heated/Power Seats HK Audio, Curt Class III Trailer Hitch, All Weather Package
1995 Porsche C4 993, Black/Black, LWF, Rennsport Chip, Bilstein HD's, ROW/Sport suspension
1977 Ford Bronco Sport, Light Jade, 351w, 3" Lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
I honestly agree and wonder why car manufacturers include their own navigational software. Google Maps is going to be better than anything else, anyways.

post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Car: 2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
The Subaru navigation system is way better than other OEM systems I have used in the past. I'm not a fan of OEM-installed systems (I would not have bought it but I wanted the memory seats, so it came as part of the SAP options package) because of the cost of updating them, not to mention they lag state-of-the art stand-alone systems.

I told my wife when she wanted an OEM system several years back that I would much rather have a mid-level stand-alone system that has free lifetime map and traffic updates. She now agrees with my sentiments.

That said, I'm pretty happy with how the Subaru system functions.

My playtoy - 2002 Z71 Chevy Avalanche. Magnacharged, 3" pulley (8 psi), self-tuned with HPTuners. 2600 stall converter and built 4L60E, headers, cammed, Flex-A-Lite fans, 2" rear leveling drop. Pushing 475 instantaneous horsepower and boy does it bring a smile to my face every time I step on the gas!

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowskey View Post
I honestly agree and wonder why car manufacturers include their own navigational software. Google Maps is going to be better than anything else, anyways.
Actually they don't. It's all contracted out to some of the well known GPS companies. Most companies like Garmin and Tom Tom use mapping data from two companies (Navteq and TeleAtlas). Then they write their own user interfaces for those maps. When an auto OEM comes along wanting built in nav, they tweak their user interface to be what the car company wants. If you watch closely on boot up you can see the copyrights for both the maps and interface on many systems. Same for the AM head unit companies. I seriously doubt any of them write the core for the user interface but get the code from the GPS ODM and then tweak it to work in their headunit.

We know Fujitsu uses the iGo interface but I don't know what maps they use. It appears to me that lower cost units tend to us TeleAtlas and higher end use Navteq but I don't know if that is really true. Either way, no auto company does their own system. I prefer the Garimin interface with Navteq maps on Garmin units but less so on auto Nav units or AM head units.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
I believe its Kenwood that is behind the software in Subaru--at least my 2013 Outback.

2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, Special Appearence Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, Navigation, Puddle Lights, Moonroof, Back Up Camera, BlueTooth, Smart Remote Start, Arch Moldings, Moon roof/Hood deflectors,Dual Heated/Power Seats HK Audio, Curt Class III Trailer Hitch, All Weather Package
1995 Porsche C4 993, Black/Black, LWF, Rennsport Chip, Bilstein HD's, ROW/Sport suspension
1977 Ford Bronco Sport, Light Jade, 351w, 3" Lift
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowskey View Post
Same here heck CNET wrote that the built in NAV was a thing of the past 4yrs ago outdated not user friendly or integrated with up to date info like the smart phone etc.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Same here heck CNET wrote that the built in NAV was a thing of the past 4yrs ago outdated not user friendly or integrated with up to date info like the smart phone etc.
But try telling that to someone that is tired of that lump on the dash. Lol. I would love it if we could load whatever GPS software we wanted into the headunit but that will never happen. I like the integrated look and not having to fumble with a phone or tablet. I don't think we will see unlocked Android head units anytime soon.
wbdeville likes this.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 PM

Car: '13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awats View Post
We know Fujitsu uses the iGo interface but I don't know what maps they use.
The iGo software in Fujitsu Ten HU in Subarus uses Navteq maps.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
I would totally be behind having an Android powered headunit in my vehicle. Have everything all in once place and more convenient to use in the car. Google Maps, music, Spotify, Pandora... hands free calling, voice texting, Google Now... would be awesome if I could use that in my car.

Take it even one step further and integrate Torque Pro into the headunit and wire it directly into the PCM for running engine diagnostics and providing live data... I would be in heaven.

Mike F
2014 Ford Explorer Sport - 29,000 miles, 3.5 EcoBoost V6, K&N Intake, vent-to-air mod, DD
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon - 146,000 miles, 2.5 H4 EJ251, 4EAT, sold to my brother
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 197,000 miles, Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Car: 2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
Garage
Since everyone is moving to smartphones now anyway, I'd rather OEMs drop built in nav altogether and offer more mobile app connectivity. Subaru offers this to an extremely limited degree with Aha Radio and Pandora, but other OEMs offer far more options where the in-dash screen becomes an extension of the driver's smartphone, and essentially functions as an external monitor for the smartphone.

Pioneer offers this in aftermarket form in their AppRadio series, which had a rocky first launch, but seems to have matured nicely several updates later.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...o+3+(SPH-DA110)

2003 Subaru WRX sedan - RIP
2007 Subaru Outback 3.0R wagon

He who is last shall be sideways and smiling...
-Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: