What is the difference between Outback and Legacy Wagon? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What is the difference between Outback and Legacy Wagon?

I'm newbie here. I appologize if this has been brought up in the past, I attempted to search but couldn't find a good answer.

I'm looking at a used reliable utility/winter vehicle for around 9-10k. The 2000 Outback/Legacy Wagon came up. Now, what is the difference between these vehicles?

I'm strictly speaking of the 2000-2003 models. They are visually the same, prices of the Legacy wagon are slightly cheaper.

What are the differences?

thanks
cdnyce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: Obsidian Black 2005 Outback 2.5XT 5 Speed Wagon & Brilliant Silver 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon 5MT

Historically, the Outback started as an option package for the Legacy Wagon. Not much more than some different wheels and trim, special stickers and two tone paint. That was 1995.

After the huge response to the Outback, it beacame it's own model, known as the Legacy Outback. It was given a stiffer suspension with more ground clearence. It also lost it's (more reliable) 2.2L 4 cylinder for the 2.5L version. The Legacy Outback continues on until MY2000.

The redesign of the Legacy sedan and wagon brought many changes for the Outback. One of which was the removal of the Legacy badging and dropping the Legacy nomenclature from all of the ads, etc. The new design brought a brutish look to the Outback. The two tone paint scheme was revised and replaced with plastic cladding. This generation also saw the first addition of an optional engine for the Outback as well as the first (baby step) attempt to take the model further upscale. The 3.0H-6, the VDC system, to name a few, made their debut in this gen.

In the Outback's 10th year, we now see a vehicle that is not a Legacy wagon with some asthetic changes. The Outback is available with three different engines, seven different models and it's very own identity. The Outback has always been an extremely unique car. Some consider the MY2000-04 Outback to be the Outback's akward teenage years. I owned an 2002 Outback Limited wagon for a short time and found it to be a nice car. Stick with the 4 cylinder and try to find one with the cold weather package. One thing I always hated was that you had to move up in price to get to a model with side airbags.

I think that if you're looking for a good reliable used Subie, stick with a vehicle that you can research. Things to watch out for are the head gaskets. There have been recalls associated with them. Also, look to see if the rear sub-frame recall has been preformed. If you are local, meaning anywhere near Rochester, NY, please feel free to bring any prospective car to our service department. We can check it, and it's history, over for you for a lot less than finding something out the hard way down the road. Best of luck in your search and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Karl

Me- Obsidian Black 2005 Outback 2.5XT 5MT
Him - Titanium Silver 2006 B9 Tribeca Limited 5 Passenger with Navigation.
Karl_at_VanBortel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately I am not near Rochester but I have a reliable mechanic that knows his Subarus and owns a WRX wagon himself.

I did find a couple of Outbacks in my price range.

I located a "Limited" edition which from what I understand is the fully loaded model, including winter/cold weather package and dual moonroof.
The carfax report stated that there was a recall issued for the vehicle regarding corrosion on the rear suspension as well as something having to do with the cooling system. The car also has a few hundred miles left on a 80,000 mile warranty. I am hoping to see the vehicle over the weekend and if all goes well It'll be in my driveway by monday.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Actually, I do have a few questions regarding the car.

When is the timing belt service due?

How much is the approximate cost, including parts and labor?

What kind of gas does it run on?

What kind of spark plugs does it need? Platinum?

Any reccomended service to be done upon purchase?

This will he a vehicle with 70-110k miles. The 4 cylinder model. I would like to do all possible maintenance upon purchase just for peace of mind.

thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mengde's Brigadier

Car: 02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack

timing belt is i think due at 105ish. i'd consider doing it earlier but i'm paranoid. when you do it, do cam and crankshaft seals and maybe belt tensioner at same time. sevl hundred $ or you can do it yourself in an afternoon with not many spl tools.

i'd also do fuel filter, plugs and wires, coolant and hose change, brake fluid drain and bleed, maybe drive belts for alternator etc unless you know when those were done. these are the main items that will strand you, cost more if ignored, or compromise safety.

what condition are struts in? this is a HUGE expense, even for the DIYer....like over $300 just for the parts, assuming nothing but the struts needs to be replaced.

my 2002 eats regular gas just fine, even with lead foot and hot west Tx summers.

no exotic plug requirment. various people have their preferences; see other threads on this. NGK, Bosch, and Nippondenso all genlly good plugs.

welcome to the board! i don't disagree with Karl, but he's talking from a dealer's point of view. in terms of seat of the pants driving experience with an 80-100K mile car, you won't notice THAT huge a difference between OB and Legacy. get the OB if you need the height or ground clearance; otherwise, you're correct that same $ will get you a newer Legacy
CPToversteer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2004, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

Quote:
Originally posted by cptoversteer
timing belt is i think due at 105ish. i'd consider doing it earlier but i'm paranoid. when you do it, do cam and crankshaft seals and maybe belt tensioner at same time. sevl hundred $ or you can do it yourself in an afternoon with not many spl tools.

i'd also do fuel filter, plugs and wires, coolant and hose change, brake fluid drain and bleed, maybe drive belts for alternator etc unless you know when those were done. these are the main items that will strand you, cost more if ignored, or compromise safety.

what condition are struts in? this is a HUGE expense, even for the DIYer....like over $300 just for the parts, assuming nothing but the struts needs to be replaced.

my 2002 eats regular gas just fine, even with lead foot and hot west Tx summers.

no exotic plug requirment. various people have their preferences; see other threads on this. NGK, Bosch, and Nippondenso all genlly good plugs.

welcome to the board! i don't disagree with Karl, but he's talking from a dealer's point of view. in terms of seat of the pants driving experience with an 80-100K mile car, you won't notice THAT huge a difference between OB and Legacy. get the OB if you need the height or ground clearance; otherwise, you're correct that same $ will get you a newer Legacy
Thanks

The ride height is nice to have, but it's not essential. However, I'm in New York City and driving on regular streets here is as bad as going off roading somewhere in the country Winters can also be brutal here, 20-25" of snow is not uncommon and since there is no place to stack the snow, it ends up staying around for a while. I need a utility car to haul stuff around in, take out in the winter. I looked for Legacy wagons and there aren't too many, especially with options. Definitely more loaded Outbacks than Legacy wagons and I like having some options, leather, heated seats and mirrors, sunroof, CD etc.. are all things I love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: