2014 Outback Driver's Seat Design - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Car: Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2014 Outback Driver's Seat Design

I have a 2014 Outback, and I have a serious problem with the shape of the driver's seat. I did not discover it on the test drive, but the seat causes severe lower and upper back pain that lasts through the day. I have never had back pain before - it is definitely from the seat design. I have tried $600 of different back supports, consulted the dealer about switching seats or seat backs (they say you can't because of the air bag sensors), adjusted the electronic controls. I have read everything I can find, so it isn't going to help to know that the seat, like all car seats, fits some people great. Given that I already own the car and I am crippled with new back pain every time I drive it, does anyone have suggestions? I have officially reached a state of panic and desperation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM

Car: 2014 Outback Limited H6 with eyesight
I actually bought my 2014 OB because of my lower back problem. I needed something easier to get into than my previous Jeep Liberty. I did make some minor adjustments to the OB seat when I took delivery, but my most important adjustments were to the steering wheel--it's up as high and far back as it will go. By doing so, I'm able to rest my arms on the centre console and door armrest, taking pressure off my back. I do find the seat to be supportive, and although my longest non-stop drive has only been two hours, I was very comfortable. So, perhaps try adjusting the steering wheel to see if it helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Car: Outback
Tx lem1. As per my post, I realize that other people find it comfortable, and I have tried every adjustment of the seats and steering wheel and about $600 of back supports and inquired of dealer about swapping out seats. Hoping someone has a new thought, other than trading the car for an older model, which I think is my only option. Thank you for the suggestions, though! Any thoughts are appreciated.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Car: 2011 2.5 Outback 6MT
Sorry to hear about your back issues with the seat! I find my '11 to be comfortable but on occasion I wish it was a little differently shaped or had the lumbar support that higher-end models of the Outback have (I have a base model).

I personally can't think of anything else that may change your issue regarding aftermarket products or adjustments to the existing system. Perhaps instead of taking a massive hit on trading the car for an older version or a different make all together, make a stop at your doctor to get a checkup and let him/her know what's happening. The problem could be stemming more with a new health issue (may have started with the new seat or is made noticeable with the new seat).

Who knows, a quick visit to the doctor or chiropractor might be easier and better for your finances than trading in a brand new car.

Good luck!

[2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6MT, Base, Pearl White Metallic]
[Mods/Additions/Changes] 2 Yakima Frontloaders, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, Rear Bumper Cover, Fumoto Valve, Plastidipped grill and hubcaps, Yokohama YK580 tires, debadged rear gate, RallyArmor red-logo mud flaps.
[Previous Subies] 1997 Subaru Outback 4AT, 2009 Subaru Legacy 5MT, 2011 Subaru Outback 6MT.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:12 PM

Car: 03 Forester X
I would suggest Recaro seats but it might be expensive and you don't know if it's going to be comfortable unless you find a way to test it first. Good luck!
Reupholstsery shops can also modify the seat for you and it's going to be less expensive than Recaro seat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: