Anyone ever drive White Rim near Moab UT? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Car: 08 OBW, 03 TS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone ever drive White Rim near Moab UT?

Hey, we've started thinking about a trip to the White Rim trail near Moab, UT.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

Quote:
Under favorable weather conditions, the White Rim Road is considered moderately difficult for high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicles.
Anyone here ever drive it before? I'm thinking about just doing an out and back day trip covering the east side of the trail, since that's supposed to be easier driving. We'd go from Dead Horse Point down the Schafer road to do part of the White Rim, then back up.

Doing some googling it seems that it'd be doable in our Outback. FWIW I have a 2" suspension lift, pretty decent AT tires, and a moderate tolerance of body damage. The car has been on some other good desert treks including the one seen here, albeit this one was more about backpacking and less about off pavement travel:
Southern UT - Escalante area

Anyone have any input on this, have you driven the road in your Subie or any other vehicle? I'll be sure to take pictures if we go!

08 Outback and 03 TS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Anyone? Maybe I need to post a pic of this amazing place...

OpenRoads likes this.

08 Outback and 03 TS
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Car: '01 OB Limited 5spd
Send a message via AIM to gabossie
Never been there, but looks amazing! I'm planning on heading out to Moab in the fall, looks like there will be more than just climbing to keep me busy.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
Ok, you have struck my interest. Post some photo's please!

Edit: Check out this link: http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries...m/crw_4534.htm

It sounds like this is a perfect Subaru adventure!

WOW!

*scary*

This was the normal view out my front window, a big white hood, lots of beautiful scenery and blue sky; but where's the road?

If you've ever been off-road in full size truck, you already know what happens when you are making a steep climb and come to a crest in the trail; all you see is the big Ram hood and sky! Sometimes I could stick my head out the side window and see the road ahead, other times I had to put the truck in park, set the emergency brake, put a rock behind a wheel and scout the road ahead.

After about another mile, I made it to the Murphy Hogback climb where I paused to evaluate the road ahead. This was by far the longest and steepest climb I had come upon so far. As I nervously considered the task that lie ahead of me, a Toyota Four Runner began his descent. I watched him through my 200 mm lens has he inched his way down the road. Thankfully, I was going up and not down. I stopped him to ask about the trail condition ahead, and he said that the Murphy Hogback that he had just come down was the worst he had come across. This was it, the crux of the trip. If I could make it up the worst would be behind me.

As two bicyclists watched from above, I charged the steep, narrow and rough hogback. I tried to maintain enough momentum to keep the tires from slipping, but still go slowly enough to keep from bouncing and rocking excessively. When I reached the top, the bicyclists both congratulated me on my driving skills. They said that they didn't think I would make it with my big truck/camper. A little giddy from my success, I asked them about the road ahead, and they confirmed that conditions ahead were easier.

Ancient moderator of color and bokeh. Boxxerace Outback Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
When I went out west I realized it really is like the road runner cartoons...
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned

Don't know how I missed this thread.

My wife and I are going to explore SW Colorado, Moab, and Southern Utah come fall. The White Rim Trail is on our destination list! We are going to take about 8-10 days as soon as the summer temps fall somewhat. We are going to mix it in with some MTBing and hiking.

It is beautiful country out there. Amazing terrain, incredible views, and fun trails. Great biking, camping and hiking also. Those are some great pics.

I think your Subie with the lift will handle it just fine from what I have seen of it. I hear though that there are some more technical sections that require good ground clearance and wheel placement. I think the Subie might actually excel in some parts of the trail where it gets narrow and tight. The Subies added agility might be a benefit in such circumstances.

Let us know how your trip goes!!!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
After reading through the descriptions of the trail from the link I have above, I'd say that my only concern would be tire punctures and having enough gear to get up the steep stuff since I have a manual transmission. For those of you with automatics, you can slip your way up much of the terrain without risk of killing the engine.

If I were with a group of Subaru's, I'd certainly do it anyways. I forwarded the link to my wife who seems interested, although in our circumstance I think I'd take a slightly larger SUV (Landcruisers are on my buy list). Still, I'd much rather take the Subie if it were just me and one other person. Imagine the miles you could tick off with our supple suspensions and turbo's banging away!

Ah heck, I'm a photo nut. I'd never make it very far before stopping for more photos.

Ancient moderator of color and bokeh. Boxxerace Outback Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Car: 2005 Outback XT LTD 5EAT
Since you are only talking about taking the "easy" side of the trail, I don't think you'll have any trouble/problem.

I would reccomend taking along at least ONE full sized spare that matches your current tires. Trying to 3-wheel it out of there with 3 AT tires and one "space saver" spare wouldn't be pretty.

It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to BE good, and less trouble.
Mark Twain
Quote:
From autoblog.com
They're (Subaru) mainly pushing the advantages of the boxer design to lower the center of gravity, reduce vibrations and produce sounds similar to Beelzebub gargling a Harley
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I knew a picture was just the thing Wish I had taken that, I just found it on the web.

I really want to make this trip, at least part of it, I don't know if we'll go to Moab or Zion this spring, the wife is lobbying pretty hard for Zion and you know how that goes... either trip is good though.

The EarthRoamer link has some cool pictures and writeup, that's one of the ones I was looking at pretty closely. Also found this today, excellent pictures and several pages long, more geared towards mountain biking though:

http://www.anthonysloan.com/whiterim1.html

I really enjoy photography as well, have since I was a kid, and would definitely be taking some pictures of this area.

Agreed that tires get punished by these types of roads. I have an extra used tire that matches my new set of Destination AT's, with about 8/32" of tread on it, I'm going to get that mounted as a spare. I need to rig up something to securely attach that one to the roof for journeys like this. Also have a 205/70/15 all season in the normal cargo area spare spot, so I have a last ditch "spare spare" if it came to that. Would not be fun to have to use that, but slightly better than a donut spare.

Ours is a 4EAT, it does pretty well with climbing up stuff. I probably should put in fresh tranny and diff fluid before a trip, I need to check when they were last changed.

Fall is a great time to visit this area, so is spring. Summer is to be avoided IMO, too hot. I once biked the Slickrock trail in June... won't do that again. We also saw 100F during Labor Day weekend several years ago, so even at the "end" of the summer it can get pretty toasty.

Thanks for the feedback, if anyone else has personal experience with the road, or even if you don't I'd love to hear from you, thanks.

08 Outback and 03 TS
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
White Rim

Have been on the White Rim Road twice. Once in 1985 with an '84 Ramcharger 4WD and once in 1989 with an '89 Ford F-150 4WD. The 85 trip entered in the east, took 3 days and 2 nights and exited in the west. The 89 trip entered in the east, spent one night and exited from the trail towards the east and Moab. You can't go backwards on the trail. It's a one way road. After living in Colorado for decades and camping everwhere my wife and I could we broke out and escaped to Utah for all our vacations. Should've done that years before. We got to calling those Utah trips our "desert fix" so we could go back into the netherworld of work in the Denver area. So besides the White Rim we'd spend most of our time on BLM land, go far back in there and stay for our entire vacation. Where I'm going with this is we had to take heavier trucks for these excursions and carry a lot of gear to stay that long, food, all our water, etc. My thinking has changed and now that I have an Outback I realize I could've saved a ton of money on gas, BFG All Terrain tires, winches, land anchors for winches, etc. and gone much lighter with an Outback and a roof rack. Well, live and learn. The Outback with 4.44 axle ratio and the Auto trans. with a smooth torque converter and 8.25" stock ground clearance could go just as slow over 95% of the off road trails I've been on. Including the White Rim Trial if memory serves. Cause you're only going on trails that: 1. you're taking your wife and kids, 2. you don't want to walk back too far to civilization if you break something, 3. you're still paying for this machine so you don't want to break it anyway, 4. you have to get back to work in the city when vacation is over. It's beautiful country and addictive. You'll love it. Subaru Outback is the best way to go. Just don't try to go places beyond its abilities just like any vehicle and take a lot of pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: