Driving My Subaru to Alaska! Any ideas on how to prepare my car...or me? - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM

Car: Current: 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited Previous: 2003 Outback Limited Sedan 2.5L
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mikey1273
well since your trip is in july alot of what we all said is still going to apply. you will have summer heat to drive in untill you get far north so making sure the cooling system is in good working order is still important. a good battery is still important. summer heat is tough on an old battery too. the last 2 times I needed a new battery myself has been in the hottest part of summer when it was over 90 for many days. both extreme heat and cold will cause an old battery to go if its time is soon up. you may not need a batttery warmer or an engime block heater unless you are staying in Alaska untill winter.

the most common things that cause most break downs on the open road are cooling system problems, like over heating and broken hoses. Broken drive belts and flat tires. if you can do any maintence to prevent those things you will have a much better chance of a trouble free trip.

we don't know the milage on your car. At 105,000 or about subaru recomends a timing belt service, if I were you and that were due I'd try to get that done before leaving if possable. with that that if you are due its very wise since that area is open to get a new water pump installed too. That will require the coolant drained so get new coolant also. Get any hoses that look like they soon had replace then. Also since they are going to take all the drive belts off to do the timing belt have all the belts replaced, its no more labor cost at that time.

You will be traveling when its suposed to be the best time to see Alaska. It will be cool but not desolate and frozen. I have heard it is very beautiful in summer up there. you will enjoy it I am sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Legionairre

Car: 2009 Outback SE, Seacrest Green
If you search around rv.net forums there are plenty of threads about driving to Alaska. It is probably one of the most talked about trips. Study those threads for good ideas.

Time. Make sure you bring plenty of time to enjoy the journey.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 PM

Car: 2001 Subaru LLB 3.0 Outback
I don't mean to sound childish, but I would diffidently take like a Gameboy? Or a Playstation Portable? Not just for yourself, but for your partner?
Possibly even a laptop with a car charger

Also, you NEVER know what could happen. (I watch Discovery Channel alot.)
Take some Hiking gear. Especially if you decide to take some short cuts and end up getting lost, and run out of gas/car breaks down and have no cell phone service.

Def take Beef Jerky and TP.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Car: 2001 Outback, EJ25, 5mt
Oh yeah, might want to get a passport since your going to be going through Canada, not sure if it's necessary, but your going to be going through another country.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally posted by gryffinwings
Oh yeah, might want to get a passport since your going to be going through Canada, not sure if it's necessary, but your going to be going through another country.
Ahh, good reminder. Definitely need a passport. Also don't try to take any hand guns through Canada. You can take rifles and shotguns as long as you are en route to Alaska. You also want to get a Canadian proof of insurance card from your car insurance company. All you have to do is call up your insurance company and they will mail you one for free.

I'm not retarded, I just don't proofread my posts
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Its odd, i've driven to Canada a few times. i have had my documents checked, my car searched once, but they never asked me for a canadian insurance card, my american one was good enough.

nipper
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally posted by nipper
Its odd, i've driven to Canada a few times. i have had my documents checked, my car searched once, but they never asked me for a canadian insurance card, my american one was good enough.

nipper
I have never been asked for mine either, but I have been told by several people it is something you are supposed to have. In a little searching it appears that the Canadian insurance card is recommended for extended stays in Canada, and that your regular US card is fine if you are just visiting as a tourist.

I'm not retarded, I just don't proofread my posts
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopjohn

I have never been asked for mine either, but I have been told by several people it is something you are supposed to have. In a little searching it appears that the Canadian insurance card is recommended for extended stays in Canada, and that your regular US card is fine if you are just visiting as a tourist.
WHEW i thought maybe i was braking some law or something. The one set of people you dont want to screw with is the border patrol of Canada. Getting back is easy, but they can make life difficult going in.

nipper
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 PM
dvl
Mountain biker

Car: 2009 Outback XT 5MT
Wink

The Canadian was going into NY from Canada at Ogdensburg and was asked by the US agent:

Do you have any firearms in that vehicle?

No sir!

Well here, take mine. You'll need it.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Car: Y2K Legacy Outback
Exclamation From one who lives in Alaska

Be prepared for "YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET"!
Fairbanks isn't just cold, it is extremely cold. -40 to -60 is normal in the winter. You will encounter even colder areas.
The Al Can has improved a lot but it will still bit a chunk out of the life of your vehicle.
Suggestions? Start with;

New tires
A full sized spare
New battery
Block heater
Battery warmer
Fresh 60/40 anti freeze
Synthetic oils front to back
Any other maintenance that should be done

An extreme weather survival kit for EACH person

You will be passing through areas that will have nothing for long stretches (not even cell service), so take every advantage to fill up. The next gas station can be closed. You can encounter winter like weather even in the summer. Leave early, give yourself plenty of time. DO NOT PUSH YOUR LIMITS!

It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Your life will depend on it.

Y2K Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: