Best/Worst Colors for hiding scratches and dirt - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight & 1995 Mazda Miata
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best/Worst Colors for hiding scratches and dirt

I'm leaning towards getting a black outback but my only concern is it showing scratches, dings and dirt. I'm not as concerned about dirt, but i anticipate some scratches from loading my bikes, paddleboards, boats, baby gear, etc.

So what are the best and worst colors for hiding scratches, dirt and dings? Also, does it cost a lot to get scratches and dings fixed up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Car: 09 Tribeca Limited
lighter colors especially metallic hide scuff and minor chips the best. to get them fixed will depend on how bad they are.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
A black car is the worst for hiding scratches & dirt. White or silver usually work best.

Scratches can be fixed inexpensively if you take the time to deal with them immediately. If you let them go, it's harder to fix, costs more- especially if the scratch is deep and salt is used as a winter road treatment in your area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Performance Valve Body

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Car: 2004 "USDM Lancaster6" -OBW Pearl White LL Bean Edition H6.
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My White Frost Pearl hides scratches and swirl marks like a charm...but leave it unwashed for a couple weeks and it turns different shades of white before your very eyes!

My Deep Sapphire Pearl showed every scratch, ding and swirl mark it had, but it hid the dirt and road grime pretty well.

2004 Subaru "Lancaster6"

"You yankees must have the patience of Job when it comes to working on suspension components on cars old enough to drink in certain European countries." -Lockmedic
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon - totaled
all above is true but silver color is boring... I was quite happy when I had sage greenish colors in the past...didn't notice that much dirt, scratches or alike....a neighbor has this beige Lexus (ugly color IMHO) and although I hate the color, I haven't noticed any dirt on it for a while....

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 PM

I have the Tungsten Metallic because it is good at hiding dirt and it stays cooler on the inside due to the lighter color.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Besides scratches don't forget the heat absorption factor with darker colors. Lighter colors are also visually safer. Prolly why there are no black school buses and few black civilian airplanes..

'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, LS3
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 AM

Car: 2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
I currently own a black car. I will never own another black car. They are beautiful when clean, but it only lasts until it is moved.
1. Swirl marks: care must be taken at ever wash. New clean soft microfiber cloth minimizes the swirls, but doesn't eliminate them.
2. Water spots: We have a well. The car must be washed early AM or late PM. Washing in sunlight is almost impossible. If the water sits on the car more than a few minutes it causes water stains from the well water. Early morning washes tends to control the evaporation and allow me to get a microfiber drying cloth to pick up all the excess water before it evaporates.
3. Sunlight: The car is normally garaged and only used as a pleasure vehicle. On rare occasions I leave it in the hot southern sun for a few hours. With or without windshield sunshade, it is hot as Hades inside when I return and remains that way for a long time after I begin driving it.

Disclaimer: I do have other vehicles, three white and one silver. Never experience the same issues with these cars. The other cars get waxed yearly or maybe even every other year. The black car gets the full swirl removal and wax treatment at least twice a year and could use it monthly if I was so inclined.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Car: 2014 2.5i Limited
Our carbide gray Forester shows EVERYTHING.

The OB is Venetian Red. It seems to hide minor scratches and swirl marks very well. But light colored dirt/mud/salt is a different story, it shows easily.

Lighter colors are gonna be better. Same is true of interiors. Never understood those who want the black interior to hide dirt. Now, I have a black interior on the OB and it's beautiful. But hiding dirt is not it's strong suit, ivory is much better for that. The counter to this is mental, i.e. with a black interior I NOTICE the dirt more, and hence keep it cleaner, lol.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Car: '14 Outback 2.5i Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcray1231 View Post
Our carbide gray Forester shows EVERYTHING.

The OB is Venetian Red. It seems to hide minor scratches and swirl marks very well. But light colored dirt/mud/salt is a different story, it shows easily.

Lighter colors are gonna be better. Same is true of interiors. Never understood those who want the black interior to hide dirt. Now, I have a black interior on the OB and it's beautiful. But hiding dirt is not it's strong suit, ivory is much better for that. The counter to this is mental, i.e. with a black interior I NOTICE the dirt more, and hence keep it cleaner, lol.
I picked black interior simply for the fact that you can't see dark stains (dirt from shoes, etc.) on black.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: