PA: registration, title, sticker: what does one do with them? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
dvl
Mountain biker

Car: 2009 Outback XT 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default PA: registration, title, sticker: what does one do with them?

I'm new to PA. This is the first vehicle I've owned with a PA registration. The registration, title, and sticker arrived today in the mail.

Nothing was included with the items to indicate what I must do with them. I searched the web. I looked at http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/ and I can't find anything which tells me what I need to know.

It seems the web should contain this information. Seems pretty basic to me. Yes, I could call DMV and ask them, but this is the most basic of information and it should be easily found on the website. But I've failed to find it.

Some of you could tell me the requirements, but I challenge you instead to locate this information on the web first. I'd like to find it. It should be there.

I guess I could just ask a cop.
dvl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

Hm, sorry I don't know PA but if it is anything like NY, you
1. keep the title, this is your proof of ownership of the vehicle and used if you ever sell or dispose of it; in NY do not keep it in the vehicle
2. registration, if it has a sticker it goes in the lower left of the windshield; you may be asked for card if stopped
3. if there is a registation sticker that goes on windshield as well in ny.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dr. Love

Car: 2002 Outback LTD

Hi dvl,

First let me welcome you to PA. I am a fairly new Pennsylvanian myself (2+ years). The title you keep safely in your house, file or bank vault, the registration you keep in your glove box, with your insurance card; the sticker is for the single license plate at the back of the car. Only the inspection and emission stickers are on your windshield and these are affixed by the shop, once you pass your tests. The only reason why I got to know these facts was from our relocation company and the folks at work.

Now, about that PA driver's license........

Cheers,

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 08 OB 2.5i Basic
Send a message via AIM to mslatfly
Default Re: PA: registration, title, sticker: what does one do with them?

Quote:
Originally posted by dvl
I'm new to PA. This is the first vehicle I've owned with a PA registration. The registration, title, and sticker arrived today in the mail.

Nothing was included with the items to indicate what I must do with them. I searched the web. I looked at http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/ and I can't find anything which tells me what I need to know.

It seems the web should contain this information. Seems pretty basic to me. Yes, I could call DMV and ask them, but this is the most basic of information and it should be easily found on the website. But I've failed to find it.

Some of you could tell me the requirements, but I challenge you instead to locate this information on the web first. I'd like to find it. It should be there.

I guess I could just ask a cop.
Unless the laws changed:

The Title gets locked away for safe keeping. Never have it in the vehicle, unless you are selling it at that moment.

Registration must be in the car at every moment that it is being driven. I always keep mine in the glove box with my proof of insurance card. Both are always required.

The sticker goes on the tag. The envelope it comes in has a diagram that shows where to put it (one of the two upper corners if I remember right). Make sure you clean off the spot where it goes first. If the sticker is ever missing off the tag, the police will pull you over. They can even fine you if you're parked for that one.
mslatfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

The title goes in a safe place at home.

The registration can go either in you purse or wallet, or in the glove box. It's immediate proof of ownership for the driver in the case of an accident or moving violation. You also have to have a valid registration card and proof of insurance to get the annual safety inspection. You can get the inspection done 2 months prior to expiration, ie March and April for a May sticker. Inspection should run concurrent with registration, you usually get screwed out of a few months the first time around.

The little sticker goes in one of corners of the license plate. Don't screw it up, you don't get a second chance. My plate has a small dimple in the corner, but it's more than a few years old. It has to be visible on the plate.
Dave Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
dvl
Mountain biker

Car: 2009 Outback XT 5MT
Default Re: Re: PA: registration, title, sticker: what does one do with them?

Quote:
Originally posted by mslatfly
The sticker goes on the tag. The envelope it comes in has a diagram that shows where to put it (one of the two upper corners if I remember right). Make sure you clean off the spot where it goes first. If the sticker is ever missing off the tag, the police will pull you over. They can even fine you if you're parked for that one.
My sticker came with the title and from the dealer. The orginal envelope was not included. Vital information!
dvl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback XT

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dave Mueller

The little sticker goes in one of corners of the license plate. Don't screw it up, you don't get a second chance. My plate has a small dimple in the corner, but it's more than a few years old. It has to be visible on the plate. [/B]
Upper left corner.

Don
DonRich90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean - SOLD

Quick caveat here: yes, the registration sticker does go on the upper right or left corner of the plate (I alternate spots by year) UNLESS YOU LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA. In that case, you'll have a different registration sticker (much bigger) that will go inside the back window facing out. People steal reg stickers in the city...

BTW - good to see so many PA subie members here. Do we ever do regional / local meets?
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean - SOLD

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Mueller
You can get the inspection done 2 months prior to expiration, ie March and April for a May sticker. Inspection should run concurrent with registration, you usually get screwed out of a few months the first time around.
Inspection laws have also changed. You can get your car inspected whenever, it doesn't have to match your registration anymore (so I was told by an inspection mechanic). Quick way to get a free month of inspection - drop your car off on the last day of the month after the shop closes. That way, they'll inspect it on the first of the next month, and that'll be the sticker that goes on the window.
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: