timing belt or chain in 09 and newer models? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
timing belt or chain in 09 and newer models?

Hi,
I wonder if subaru started use timing chain instead of belt in its new models already? It was the only thing which held me from buying subaru in the past.
I read somewhere that new V6 engines use chain but not sure, also I wanted manual transmission and V6 has only automatic option I guess. Most cars don't use timing belts anymore which was rally silly idea to begin with.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Car: '17 Outback 3.6r Limited
The 2.5 4 cyl still uses a belt in '09. The H6 uses a chain.

'17 3.6r Limited w/Eyesight Crystal Black Silica

previous Subarus
'15 2.5i Limited Eyesight/Moonroof Twilight Blue
'10 2.5i Limited w/Moonroof Steel Silver
'05 2.5i Limited Obsidian Black
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

thanks, and no manual tranny with V6 I understand.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Car: 2012 Forester Limited, 1973 MG Midget
Correct, no manual transmission with the H6. It's not actually a V6, the cylinders are arranged in a horizontally opposed fashion, making it an "H" pattern.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
Quote:
Originally posted by motif
thanks, and no manual tranny with V6 I understand.
The 6 cylinder is not offered with a manual transmission (at least in the USA), if it had been, I'd probably would have bought one. And Subaru's don't use 'V' configuration engines, they use flat, or horizontally opposed 'H' orientations (also referred to as 'boxer engines'.

See this link if you are unsure what this means..

Quote:
Most cars don't use timing belts anymore which was rally silly idea to begin with.
I'm not sure that that is really an accurate statement, nor do I necessarily agree that they were a silly idea to begin with. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending upon what the engine designer is trying to accomplish.

~Scott
'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon (Now with a new owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by '05 Outback2.5i

I'm not sure that that is really an accurate statement, nor do I necessarily agree that they were a silly idea to begin with. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending upon what the engine designer is trying to accomplish.
there are no benefits of using timing belts instead of chains but the trouble.
They claimed in the past it's more quiet then chain which in reality is not distinguishable, the real reason they introduced belts was the cost (same as FWD vs RWD).
Fortunately all cars now coming or came back to chains already. Subaru is one of the relict.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Last car I had, 2000 Toyota Echo, had a timing chain and had no service interval.

The dude at the Subaru service desk said the Subaru upped the KMs till belt change. I think it's now 160000kms(100000miles)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Quote:

there are no benefits of using timing belts instead of chains but the trouble.
They claimed in the past it's more quiet then chain which in reality is not distinguishable, the real reason they introduced belts was the cost (same as FWD vs RWD).
Fortunately all cars now coming or came back to chains already. Subaru is one of the relict.
Untrue. Just hold a chain in your hand vs a belt. A belt is far lighter. It takes time and energy to move a heavy mass. Chains are quite heavy, plus they do tend to stretch in such a way that tolerances stacking can occure, throwing off timing. modern chains are really quite complicated engineering wise (to make up for the stretch) and from a cost issue. A belt is lighter, cheaper, and uses more energy to spin up. The down side is that they have to be wider and do need replacing at specific intervals. There also are maximum lengths that either can be due to physics.

I dont think subaru timing chains will last the life of the car (being well over 300K miles). They will last the life of a typical car which is about 160K miles. Wither way during the useful life of a subaru (which can be only god knows how long) the cost of maint works out to be the same either way.

I just wonder if the waterpump will last as long as the chain (which will still be much longer then the competitors cars).

nipper
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

nipper, you're kidding right? give me a break and grow up. I don't have time to argue about the obvious only because you happened to have timing belt.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 PM

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
Quote:
nipper, you're kidding right? give me a break and grow up. I don't have time to argue about the obvious only because you happened to have timing belt.
Welcome to the forum, you're off to such a great start with that attitude toward long time members. Perhaps you can start by qualifying your statements, and telling us a little about the background you have that supplies your superior knowledge (especially given that you are so quick to point out that Subaru design is a 'relict' yet don't even understand what design engine Subaru uses).

In the mean time here is a published paper, backed by actual engineering studies to read through.

~Scott
'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon (Now with a new owner
)
Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: