Is there a best year/years for an Outback? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Looking for an Outback or Impreza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Is there a best year/years for an Outback?

I am looking for a nice used Outback.. needs to be an auto trans.
Is there any years that were more reliable or less trouble free than other years?

My parents had a 96 and never had any trouble with it. But I have seen some reviews that mention repeated head gasket problems with some other years... seemingly more newer ones like 2002.

I need the car to be a good one, I am very mechanically inclined so I could fix most problems anyway.. but I am gone 5 days a week...with little free time.

There is a 97 near me with 123K on it. for $4200 . It has a new engine due to the timing belt being installed wrong by last owner. This dealer replaced the engine. Here is the descrition.
NEW JAPANESE REBUILT ENGINE, LESS THAN 50,000 MILES...NEW TIMING BELT AND WATERPUMP MARCH 09... 2 OWNER...Heated Seats

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ken
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

Well, there were two series of head gasket failures, the most prevalent was an internal failure common to the 1996-1999, much last common was an external failure on 2000-2002 models.

So if you are looking for an inexpensive Outback you have a few options.

1) If you are up for it, you could find a good deal on a car with blown head gaskets and fix them yourself.

2) Buy an older car that has already had the headgaskets/timing belt done.

As for most reliable, most of the 2003+ Outbacks have been pretty reliable.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Outback, 4 cyl, 143,000 miles.
Default Re: Is there a best year/years for an Outback?

Quote:
Originally posted by kens97sto171
...NEW JAPANESE REBUILT ENGINE, LESS THAN 50,000 MILES...Ken [/B]
I've heard there are engines from Japan you can buy for only a few hundred dollars. Their laws are such that the engines can only be used for around 30,000 miles and then scraped. I would wonder if this engine is one of those. If so, you might have problems getting the emissions test passed.

Chris
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: Looking for an Outback or Impreza

Thanks for the info.. Really helps. I am really hoping to find a nice one that looks decent, But more importantly will run for a good long time.

The engine in that 97 is a japanese engine that he bought cheap for just the reason you said.

In Ohio and Kentucky we have no tailpipe emission testing right now. I would suspect that as long as there was no check engine light on.. everything should be in US spec since the ECU is a USA spec computer.

Thanks again.

Ken
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 1998 OBW 5spd/170k

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopjohn
Well, there were two series of head gasket failures, the most prevalent was an internal failure common to the 1996-1999
Im going to disagree with you on this, everything Ive read points to the headgaskets being changed from the 98 model up to the 2001.
so the 96/97 headgaskets did not fail near as often as the 98-01 models.

that being said, I'd be more inclined to purchase a 96/97 model with decent miles, or a model after 02.
d0sitmatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '06 LOB, '03 Taco, '97 MX-5

My recollection ( which means nothing) is also that '98 was the first year of the head gasket silliness. If the price is right, I'd go for the JDM'd '97.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

There is a thread stickied here somewhere...HG failure log or something like that, you can kind of see what years were commonly affected.

For what it is worth, our 1996 2.5 Outback had a leaking headgasket.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by d0sitmatr

Im going to disagree with you on this, everything Ive read points to the headgaskets being changed from the 98 model up to the 2001.
so the 96/97 headgaskets did not fail near as often as the 98-01 models.

that being said, I'd be more inclined to purchase a 96/97 model with decent miles, or a model after 02.
You can disagree all you like, but in the 4 years I have been haunting this site, I can tell you that I have seen PLENTY of 1996 and 1997 Outbacks with HG failures. They may not be reflected in the HG Failure log thread because it has only been up a couple of months. If you buy a car in he 1996-1999 range, there is a very good chance that the head gaskets have failed, or are going to fail.

That being said, there do seem to be a bit fewer failures in 1996 (not 1997), and my 1996 was definitely the favorite of the 3 Outbacks I have owned. It was the quickest and got the best fuel mileage of the group.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
White-van-man Pro

Car: Outback 2,0D 2009

Golden rule of thumb when it comes to used cars:

NEVER buy the first year of a new generation

A model is at its very best in its last production year
Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

I would make sure that the motor has all the required smog equipment to pass basic emissions testing in the US. Not sure if you ever plan on moving or if your state will require testing in the near future but, generally the owner is required to bring the car up to minimum standards and cars with engines that were not manufactured for import in to the US are not grandfathered in.

That is a really stupid ad. The engine is not new, it's used. Unless the internal components were replaced ... it's not rebuilt.

That being said, I've seen a lot of JDM motors in sandrails run for years with no issues. They of course don't need to pass smog [didn't at the time, i think they do now]. That wouldn't be a deal killer for me as long as the rest fo the car was in good shape and the motor was US legal for smog components.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: