Subaru Outback Forums banner

Used Outback Purchase Advice

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  idosubaru 
#1 ·
SO,
I have my heart set on buying a Subaru Outback but have a budget of about $10,000. Outbacks in this price range are obviously nearing 100,000 miles or more, and I recently had a friend tell me I should hold out and save up more money for an Outback with fewer miles.
Am I making a mistake buying a Subaru with 100,000 miles on it?
What kind of major repair should I be concerned about with this amount of mileage? Timing belt, brakes etc..
I know that Subarus are reliable cars, but I just want some advice on whether or not I should invest in a car with that many miles on it or save my money for a newer car.

#2 ·
Yes, timing belt is the major thing for 4 cylinder motors. Needs to be done at 105,000 miles. Also inspect for leaking head gaskets. In your price range you'd be looking at cars that could POTENTIALLY have externally leaking gaskets...those should be inspected prior to purchase.

I would be comfortable buying a Subaru with 100,000 miles...it actually may be preferable because most of that mileage will have had their timing belt done. If you buy one with 75,000 miles, chances are the timing belt hasn't been done and will need doing in only 25,000 miles...either way you need documentation that it has been done.

#3 ·
Service records are key. The TB job is a major expense for the non Do It Yourself type. Budget about $1000 for the job to be done right.

That being said, I'd buy a Subaru with good records with 150,000+ miles without a second thought. I wouldn't touch one without records unless I got a deal good enough to factor in all the servicing it would need for me not to worry.

#4 ·
Plan on it needing a few things but making 200,000 miles is rather easy if you make a good purchase and maintain it smart.

If you have zero mechanical ability and are not familiar with forums like this or have other avenues for good maintenance approaches - you have a good chance of disliking high mileage vehicles. If you're stuck with a dealer maintaining a car that old - it'll be many many many thousands of dollars - they are good at pricing you into a new car, they are not good at maintaining older Subarus. Local shops/mechanics/independents may not be any better if you rely soley on them. They often quote inordinate jobs, prices, and inappropriate services or repairs.

If you have lack of knowledge or capacity to learn or sift through online verbage and find solid information on maintenance - you probably should get a newer vehicle.

If on the other hand you have decent mechanical abilities or can sift efficiently through online information and identify the sites/sources/people that know what they're talking about - getting another 100,000 miles out of a 100,000 mile Subaru isn't that hard for inexpensive money.

You can plan on needing probably 5 or 6 out of 8 of the following in the next 100,000 miles:
1. timing belt, struts, alternator, axle boots, ball joints/steering racks boots, knock sensor, oxygen sensor.

i like to tackle the timing belt and alternator since those can leave you stranded.

2. exhaust work and frozen brake caliper pin slides if you're in the rust belt.

replacing all the brake hardware is smart if you're int he rust belt. brake pad clips, slide pin boots.

#5 ·
If milage is your worry I'll take your $10,000 for my 53,000 mile Outback.

It runs fine, is a 5 speed limited, 2.5 liters. Leather, bells and whistles of the model. No navigation, no sunroof. Good reliable runner.

It looks OK with mountain wear and tear on it's cherry black paint. The tailgate was wrinkled on its right side and never fixed (but doesn't leak and works fine), and I backed onto a big rock one night making a dented left rear underbumper that doesn't effect anything so also wasn't fixed.

But it really does have just 53000 and change miles on it.

Oh, jeez, I almost forgot - it's a 1998.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.