Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   General Discussions (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/)
-   -   Locked Out With Engine Running (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/21665-locked-out-engine-running.html)

04MSM 11-23-2009 01:32 PM

Locked Out With Engine Running
 
This weekend, I was locked out of my 05 Outback, with the engine running. I started the engine to warm up the car while I cleared off the snow and removed the plow berm in front of the car. A minute after I go out of the car, I tried to open the rear door to put some more equipment in the car, and found the door was locked. All of the doors were locked and I had no spare key. :mad:

After about two hrs the road side assistance arrived and unlocked the car. I understand that you are not supposed to be able to lock this car and leave with the keys in the ignition. I was not able to duplicate the condition. Every time I tried to lock the doors they either unlocked automatically, or if I was in the car, would not let me out until I unlocked them.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how it can happen?

8kGoodENuff 11-23-2009 02:55 PM

Re: Locked Out With Engine Running
 
Quote:

Originally posted by 04MSM
This weekend, I was locked out of my 05 Outback, with the engine running. I started the engine to warm up the car while I cleared off the snow and removed the plow berm in front of the car. A minute after I go out of the car, I tried to open the rear door to put some more equipment in the car, and found the door was locked. All of the doors were locked and I had no spare key. :mad:

After about two hrs the road side assistance arrived and unlocked the car. I understand that you are not supposed to be able to lock this car and leave with the keys in the ignition. I was not able to duplicate the condition. Every time I tried to lock the doors they either unlocked automatically, or if I was in the car, would not let me out until I unlocked them.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how it can happen?

I have no idea... but how did the road side assistant guy get in the car? Special tool?

You can just PM me so that it isn't public.

Andre

04MSM 11-23-2009 03:37 PM

Re: Re: Locked Out With Engine Running
 
Quote:

Originally posted by 8kGoodENuff


I have no idea... but how did the road side assistant guy get in the car? Special tool?

You can just PM me so that it isn't public.

Andre

Pried the window out and used a steel bar to trip the lock.

Not hard to do, but you need more than a coat hanger.

Wagondude 11-24-2009 11:09 AM

First, have you gotten a spare key? The lockout protection only works if the ignition is off. You have to be able to lock the doors with the engine running. If running, the car assumes you are in the car and able to unlock at will. If you have a two piece keyring, you can put the key on one ring and the remote on the other and just take the remote with you while you warm it up. Then you can just unlock with the remote if you should happen to accidentally lock it (remember that it is illegal in most states to leave your car running unattended with the key in the ignition).Yours was not unattended as you were clearing snow, but you might want to be able to lock it if you should step inside for a couple of minutes.

04MSM 11-24-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wagondude
First, have you gotten a spare key? The lockout protection only works if the ignition is off. You have to be able to lock the doors with the engine running. If running, the car assumes you are in the car and able to unlock at will. If you have a two piece keyring, you can put the key on one ring and the remote on the other and just take the remote with you while you warm it up. Then you can just unlock with the remote if you should happen to accidentally lock it (remember that it is illegal in most states to leave your car running unattended with the key in the ignition).Yours was not unattended as you were clearing snow, but you might want to be able to lock it if you should step inside for a couple of minutes.
You can't lock it with the Fob, with the key in the ignition, whether it is running or not. You can lock it with he engine running using the master lock on the door, but you can't get out without unlocking it, and you can't lock it with the doors open, and the key in the ignition. You can't lock it with the fob from inside or outside the car with the key in the ignition, running or not. I suspect you can with a spare key, but I certainly did not do that.

I don't want to lock it up with the engine running, since I'll be standing there, and besides in my drive way it is behind a neighborhood electric gate. I just don't want it to lock by itself, which it did this time. I have not been able to duplicate this, with any combination of intentional events.

nipper 11-24-2009 05:30 PM

Just get a spare key and leave it in the house or your wallet. You may have just hit the right sequence of things to make a longshot happen. You may aslo have hit the doorlock accidently and didnt realize it.




nipper

04MSM 11-24-2009 06:17 PM

I do have a spare key now.

I tried to lock the door by hitting the lock. It won't lock, when things are working properly.

mrbeal 11-25-2009 08:46 AM

I tried it in my '02 last night..... car running, I opened the door and locked them all with the master switch. You'd thing there would be an easy way to prevent this from happening.

04MSM 11-25-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mrbeal
I tried it in my '02 last night..... car running, I opened the door and locked them all with the master switch. You'd thing there would be an easy way to prevent this from happening.
Hu!!

My 05XT won't do that. It unlocks it's self if the key is in the lock and the door is open.

JQT 03-09-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipper (Post 203867)
Just get a spare key and leave it in the house or your wallet. You may have just hit the right sequence of things to make a longshot happen. You may aslo have hit the doorlock accidently and didnt realize it.

nipper

Think it through now: the KEY to your (probably locked) HOUSE is most likely going to also be LOCKED inside that running car! I've seen it happen, many years ago, when my neighbor woke up at 4 a.m. to go skiing, and she had backed into the street, then she thought about something she forgot inside her house, and when she ultimately got up the courage to knock on my door, she had tears running down her face, and said, "My car is locked and it's running with the keys in it and I also cannot get into my house!"

I don't have a total solution in place YET for my new Subaru, but on some older cars I owned, I would hide either a house key or a car key somewhere on the car. Even if you have to BREAK something to get it, it can save the day. On my Toyota, I needed to use this emergency key ONCE in 14 years, but if you live alone or live in a very dangerous climate (check both boxes for me) this can literally be a lifesaver!

The MINIMUM thing to do is at least make a COPY of your car key and leave it at a nearby relative's house. I know we all get three years of Subaru Roadside Assistance, but seriously, in some climates, having an extra key could save you from freezing to death. Even while getting gas or something simple like that, it's very easy to DROP a key and lose it into a drain or something. I like the idea of having an extra remote, which is my current solution. I carry my "spare" remote starter in my coat pocket, and it's ALWAYS with me. Note I said EXTRA key. Because worse than locking the key in the car, you may LOSE it, and it wouldn't be impossible to freeze to death where I live while waiting for Roadside Assistance.

Freak accidents happen all the time. Just this week, a tree fell onto a car not far from here and killed a teenage girl. That is just awful and maybe there's no way to prevent some accidents, but having a SPARE key is something we CAN control!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2009-2010 SubaruOutback.org. All Rights Reserved.