Locked Out With Engine Running - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Locked Out With Engine Running

This weekend, I was locked out of my 05 Outback, with the engine running. I started the engine to warm up the car while I cleared off the snow and removed the plow berm in front of the car. A minute after I go out of the car, I tried to open the rear door to put some more equipment in the car, and found the door was locked. All of the doors were locked and I had no spare key.

After about two hrs the road side assistance arrived and unlocked the car. I understand that you are not supposed to be able to lock this car and leave with the keys in the ignition. I was not able to duplicate the condition. Every time I tried to lock the doors they either unlocked automatically, or if I was in the car, would not let me out until I unlocked them.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how it can happen?
04MSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
Default Re: Locked Out With Engine Running

Quote:
Originally posted by 04MSM
This weekend, I was locked out of my 05 Outback, with the engine running. I started the engine to warm up the car while I cleared off the snow and removed the plow berm in front of the car. A minute after I go out of the car, I tried to open the rear door to put some more equipment in the car, and found the door was locked. All of the doors were locked and I had no spare key.

After about two hrs the road side assistance arrived and unlocked the car. I understand that you are not supposed to be able to lock this car and leave with the keys in the ignition. I was not able to duplicate the condition. Every time I tried to lock the doors they either unlocked automatically, or if I was in the car, would not let me out until I unlocked them.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how it can happen?
I have no idea... but how did the road side assistant guy get in the car? Special tool?

You can just PM me so that it isn't public.

Andre
2013 Super Cycles Scooter: 1500-Watt Brushless Motor (702 MPGe... Ohhhh the savings!!)
2006 Orbea Mitis - Full Shimano Ultegra (Cycling Road Bike)
2005 Trek 7500FX (Cycling Hybrid)

--------------------Previously Owned--------------------
1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel (Loud but miss 55 mpg... lol.)
8kGoodENuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Locked Out With Engine Running

Quote:
Originally posted by 8kGoodENuff

I have no idea... but how did the road side assistant guy get in the car? Special tool?

You can just PM me so that it isn't public.

Andre
Pried the window out and used a steel bar to trip the lock.

Not hard to do, but you need more than a coat hanger.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

First, have you gotten a spare key? The lockout protection only works if the ignition is off. You have to be able to lock the doors with the engine running. If running, the car assumes you are in the car and able to unlock at will. If you have a two piece keyring, you can put the key on one ring and the remote on the other and just take the remote with you while you warm it up. Then you can just unlock with the remote if you should happen to accidentally lock it (remember that it is illegal in most states to leave your car running unattended with the key in the ignition).Yours was not unattended as you were clearing snow, but you might want to be able to lock it if you should step inside for a couple of minutes.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wagondude
First, have you gotten a spare key? The lockout protection only works if the ignition is off. You have to be able to lock the doors with the engine running. If running, the car assumes you are in the car and able to unlock at will. If you have a two piece keyring, you can put the key on one ring and the remote on the other and just take the remote with you while you warm it up. Then you can just unlock with the remote if you should happen to accidentally lock it (remember that it is illegal in most states to leave your car running unattended with the key in the ignition).Yours was not unattended as you were clearing snow, but you might want to be able to lock it if you should step inside for a couple of minutes.
You can't lock it with the Fob, with the key in the ignition, whether it is running or not. You can lock it with he engine running using the master lock on the door, but you can't get out without unlocking it, and you can't lock it with the doors open, and the key in the ignition. You can't lock it with the fob from inside or outside the car with the key in the ignition, running or not. I suspect you can with a spare key, but I certainly did not do that.

I don't want to lock it up with the engine running, since I'll be standing there, and besides in my drive way it is behind a neighborhood electric gate. I just don't want it to lock by itself, which it did this time. I have not been able to duplicate this, with any combination of intentional events.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Just get a spare key and leave it in the house or your wallet. You may have just hit the right sequence of things to make a longshot happen. You may aslo have hit the doorlock accidently and didnt realize it.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do have a spare key now.

I tried to lock the door by hitting the lock. It won't lock, when things are working properly.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Outback LTD Wagon

I tried it in my '02 last night..... car running, I opened the door and locked them all with the master switch. You'd thing there would be an easy way to prevent this from happening.

'02 OBW Limited
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbeal
I tried it in my '02 last night..... car running, I opened the door and locked them all with the master switch. You'd thing there would be an easy way to prevent this from happening.
Hu!!

My 05XT won't do that. It unlocks it's self if the key is in the lock and the door is open.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
JQT

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper View Post
Just get a spare key and leave it in the house or your wallet. You may have just hit the right sequence of things to make a longshot happen. You may aslo have hit the doorlock accidently and didnt realize it.

nipper
Think it through now: the KEY to your (probably locked) HOUSE is most likely going to also be LOCKED inside that running car! I've seen it happen, many years ago, when my neighbor woke up at 4 a.m. to go skiing, and she had backed into the street, then she thought about something she forgot inside her house, and when she ultimately got up the courage to knock on my door, she had tears running down her face, and said, "My car is locked and it's running with the keys in it and I also cannot get into my house!"

I don't have a total solution in place YET for my new Subaru, but on some older cars I owned, I would hide either a house key or a car key somewhere on the car. Even if you have to BREAK something to get it, it can save the day. On my Toyota, I needed to use this emergency key ONCE in 14 years, but if you live alone or live in a very dangerous climate (check both boxes for me) this can literally be a lifesaver!

The MINIMUM thing to do is at least make a COPY of your car key and leave it at a nearby relative's house. I know we all get three years of Subaru Roadside Assistance, but seriously, in some climates, having an extra key could save you from freezing to death. Even while getting gas or something simple like that, it's very easy to DROP a key and lose it into a drain or something. I like the idea of having an extra remote, which is my current solution. I carry my "spare" remote starter in my coat pocket, and it's ALWAYS with me. Note I said EXTRA key. Because worse than locking the key in the car, you may LOSE it, and it wouldn't be impossible to freeze to death where I live while waiting for Roadside Assistance.

Freak accidents happen all the time. Just this week, a tree fell onto a car not far from here and killed a teenage girl. That is just awful and maybe there's no way to prevent some accidents, but having a SPARE key is something we CAN control!
JQT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: