3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Car: '07 outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
... they're waxing your break lining ~

... the great Subaru ear wax recall:

Subaru Recalls Roughly 200,000 Vehicles for Brake Line Corrosion

Subaru execs caught red-handed, selling-out the most loyal customer following in the history of the auto industry, choose to affect repair to substandard brake lining they previously cut cost on, not by upgrading the brake lining to corrosion proof alloy, but instead, by dabbing a little wax, only in states where roads are salted during wintertime.

In states where they don't salt roads, feel free to continue driving your Subaru equipped with the cheap, shoddy hydraulic brake lining they never told you about.

First time in internet history, Subaru execs are no longer taking our e-mail (e.g. toggle "e-mail us"):

http://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html

Subaru execs have toggled off their form-mail -- asj.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
Has anyone had to replace their lines?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue/Ivory
Garage
this doesn't affect the outback models. from the article...

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected: The recall involves model-year 2008-2011 Impreza, 2008-2014 WRX and STI, and 2009-2013 Forester models.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
I was curious, I have a 2009 Forester also that is under the recall.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited" - Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjoseph View Post
... the great Subaru ear wax recall:

Subaru Recalls Roughly 200,000 Vehicles for Brake Line Corrosion

Subaru execs caught red-handed, selling-out the most loyal customer following in the history of the auto industry, choose to affect repair to substandard brake lining they previously cut cost on, not by upgrading the brake lining to corrosion proof alloy, but instead, by dabbing a little wax, only in states where roads are salted during wintertime.

In states where they don't salt roads, feel free to continue driving your Subaru equipped with the cheap, shoddy hydraulic brake lining they never told you about.
Pretty inflammatory rhetoric there asjoseph. When I read the story linked in the post, it seemed like MotorTrend was treating it a lot more lightly than the OP. No mention of any execs being caught red-handed or selling out loyal customers with some scam sub-standard repair. Unlike the OP, MotorTrend reported it like any one of dozens of recalls announced by every auto maker every month.

To quote the article, "The Fix: Subaru will notify owners and will repair the brake line system free of charge at dealerships. An anti-corrosion wax on the four-way joint connector area of the brake line should fix the problem." OMG! They found an inexpensive less time consuming effective method to avoid getting rust on some portion of the vehicle!

Um, I will continue to drive my Subaru OUTBACK because it must not be equipped with the cheap, shoddy hydraulic brake lining they never told me about. Because it is not one of the vehicles covered by this routine recall. It was covered when my dashboard melted while the car was owned in FL. Subaru replaced the dash along with thousands of others well past the warranty because they stand by their products. My 2000 Outback had a recall for corrosion on some rear suspension components. They cleaned and sprayed the bits with anti-corrosion paint and my car is still driving without the rear suspension rusted through at over 225K miles. I'm sure their brake line repair will suffice as well.

In fact, the only vehicle I had brake line trouble with, was my 2003 Chevy Suburban. Lines rusted through in several places and nearly caused an accident with my entire family in the car. Unfortunately, Chevrolet did not have a recall before that near tragedy. Good thing Subaru is on top of this one.

Why is this even on an Outback site? BTW, the email is working fine for me. Maybe their site was down when you were trying to contact them about this "conspiracy."
Rogier and CrazyOkie like this.

Set the Wayback machine to the year 2000 Sherman... when Little Red was problem free.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Car: Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
Garage
Is this different than the one a couple years ago on Outbacks?

My other Subarus are Subarus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You'll have to pry my frameless windows from my cold dead hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Man, I remember when my Chevy had brake lines rot out when the vehicle was 8 years old from using sub-standard material.

Chevy denied it was their responsibility and the NHTSA backed them up on the issue.

Subaru is doing a lot better.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Car: '17 LTD 2.5i
congrats for observing this was 2 yrs old post... oh wait
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 AM

Car: 14 ob limited
They are not waxing brake linings, they are rust proofing/waxing brake lines. Wax on brake linings would be bad!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
The OP's post is close to hysterical handwaving coupled with poor spelling and grammar. Hyperbolic at best.

thanks for link but - jeesh
+1......but does seem to happen quite a bit in these forum.

Like the previous poster the only issue I've had with brake lines was my son's '01 Silverado. They rusted out after about 10 years.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
2015 Twlight Blue OB Premium
1976 Camaro, 355ci/425hp 4speed(sold)
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: