Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does the Legacy fare differently in the snow than the Outback?

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  subiesailor 
#1 ·
Does the lower ground clearance and reduced back-heaviness make the Legacy any better or worse in the snow than the Outback? I am currently driving a Honda Accord and would like to get another Outback, but I do prefer a sedan to a wagon simply because it has less "junk in the trunk" so to speak.

#2 ·
I drive a wagon for the utility it provides. . . also have a Baja for the same reason.

Tires make more difference in the snow than sedan/wagon. Put snows or all season tires on a Legacy and it'll go through everything an Outback will.

#3 ·
I have had a Legacy (2006 Wagon) and an Outback (2013). I was not able to get up my driveway one time with the Legacy because it had about 6 inches of wet snow. The Legacy acted like a snow plow and it got harder and harder to keep going as the snow piled up in front. I think the Outback would have made it fine because of the higher clearance.

#4 ·
180,000 miles with a legacy and now have the OB. They have about the same snow capability. Given the choice I would go Legacy every time. It drives dramatically better than the OB, sportier feel one less turn lock to lock on the steering and its a much stiffer vehicle than the wagon body which is actually fairly flexy. No the difference with snow capability is not easily noticed you would need to run a scientific experiment to find where the OB has and advantage over the Legacy.

Grandma's 2010 Legacy has also proven to be much easier on tires than the OB also.

No dog to haul I'd have a legacy in a heart beat. I would even tow with the Legacy given we towed with our prior legacy for 12yrs never had any issues. Also the legacy has a lower roof line making loading bikes on the roof rack easier too. In all if Subaru offered a Legacy Wagon I would sell our OB ASAP and go get the Legacy wagon.

#5 ·
Same basic AWD system on both vehicles factoring in similar models/options.

Tires will make a lot of difference, but the higher OB can usually make it through deeper snow before getting high centered (about the only sure fire way to get a winter tire wearing Subaru stuck).

#6 ·
Like it has been mentioned above, the only difference for snow driving is the added ground (snow) clearance on the Outback which is basically a Legacy on stilts with some plastic body cladding stuck on it to make it look more macho. Sort of like Paul Hogan in those early ads.

My Outback actually says "Legacy Outback" on the back hatch.

#7 ·
Correct, same AWD but more clearance = can go through deeper stuff, otherwise there is no difference. BUT the clearance difference would be a big deal on poorly maintained roads.

#8 ·
Haven't driven a Legacy for longer time myself, so I can't judge myself, but I heard an identical Legacy (same gen/engine/transmission/AWD) would - of course as long as it has enough clearance - do better in the snow than the Outback. The Legacy has a better suspension and a less hard ride than the Outback and therefore more traction. Seems reasonable to me.

#9 ·
How deep of snow do you realistically see yourself driving in?

Other than ground clearance they're essentially the same. The differences are minor. If you want to get technical you'd need to talk about what you're comparing - VTD, VDC, LSD....again, all minor differences compared to:

TIRES will make the most difference. a FWD car with NOKIANS can fare better than an AWD with average all seasons.

The key to good snow capabilities is tires.

The key to safety is not driving in snow and leaving at off times to avoid other drivers. That's what I concern myself with, not the snow. I leave at 5:30-6am to avoid them, which on heavy snow days means a largely solo drive in my area.

#11 ·
Question: If they're both built on the same platform what is the differences in ground clearance, ride and suspension? I did a quick test drive on both and didn't notice anything really different before I bought my O.B. I thought the difference was in the utility use of the two.

#12 ·
Question: If they're both built on the same platform what is the differences in ground clearance, ride and suspension?
difference in ground clearance is in table form here separated by model:
2015 Subaru Overview. Compare Impreza, Crosstrek, BRZ, Outback, Forester, Legacy, WRX, STI

click "control F" from windows and search for "clearance" to find ground clearance numbers.

OBW is about 3" higher than legacy.

OBW's have body spacers and different struts/springs than legacy.

Depending on the conditions (wet snow, dry snow, temp, wind, plowing, road contours) - a vehicle will get stuck in deep snow when it gets high centered. the snow essentially packs under the car until it is supporting part of the weight of it and the wheels have no traction.

google "high centered" or some variant and you can probably find more about it.

#15 ·
It is not just about being high centered. Once you start plowing snow, or mud, or sand with your undercarriage, getting stopped becomes a matter of time.

Clearance is essential. Now, if all you see is a few inches of snow...you do not need an OB.

#16 ·
12yrs doing Big Tahoe Sierra storms in the Legacy. Never got stuck. I had serious doubts at times having to dig the doors out and snow almost half way up the door. Granted it wasn't nasty packed icy crap it was fresh two feet of snow. The Legacy did many many trips driving into cabins on unplowed roads of fresh foot or more of snow easily. Whats interesting is having the snow come up over the hood as your driving in or out of the cabin. I havent found the OB to be any different. Clearance does eventually matter but the difference between the Legacy and the OB is so small its not a reason to choose the OB over the Legacy. Now my Sequoia vs the OB yes body ground clearance is dramatically greater than the OB and yes it will climb over and through crusty old snow that will stop the OB in its tracks. Though I've never found my self in that situation EVER which is why the subaru pretty much was THE snow car and we left the truck home. The Subaru runs circles around the trucks and big SUV's when it comes to handling on the slick crummy roads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.