The oddest load in your 'Baru - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #21 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Submod

Car: 2000 BMW R1150gs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You guys are probably going to flame me for this one.

In spite of some of the advise given from some of you here and at ScoobyMods, before moving from NY to OR this past August I towed a 5X8 U-Haul trailer more than 700 lbs over the 1,800 lb max U-Haul limit. My Thule car top box had about 170 lbs in it (70 lbs over Subaru's limit) and I had about 500 lbs plus inside the subie (not including me). So including me, I was 1,375 lbs over Subaru's maximum weight.

Am I gettin to any of you yet?

Needles to say my penance was that some time in Ohio the boot on my front right axle fell apart but I ignored the thumping sounds that gradually grew louder and louder over the next 700 plus miles (I play a good Ostrich). Finally I stopped in Iowa where Lujacks in Davenport discovered that my front right axle was broken. That cost me six hours and $250 to fix. Then in Idaho, in the hottest part of my trip, my A/C froze up. I still haven't fixed that yet.

All-in-all I had a bonding experience with my subie over the exactly 3000 miles and ever since have a huge amount of respect for Subarus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 AM

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback M/T EJ25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to therevengingo
Well in my car I've filled it to the brim with camping equipment when the ford monstrosity broke down and we had to distribute the equipment between the two subarus...and still made it up the hill at 85mph! Also I've crammed all kinds of rescue/medical equipment in the back... as well as a nearly 8 foot slide! with the tailgate closed! As well as countless 2x4s and 4'x8' sheets of plywood strapped to the roof.
Also, in my sister-in-law's 2001 impreza my brother and I crammed 2200lbs of cement inside! we drove 10mph the whole way home from home depot and bottomed out the suspension over every bump, but it made it! What a trooper! Shh, don't tell her...

post #23 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Submod

Car: 2000 BMW R1150gs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just remembered...

The oddest thing I ever hauled in my subie was my ex-wife

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

post #24 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
I carried 10x 50Lbs bags of concrete mix!

Fast Sly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” - James Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #25 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Yeah, camping gear crammed in there ... that's what I got the car for.

Somewhat less glamorous, I've been packing mine to the top with bagged trash a few times in the last several weeks. I pull up to the dumpster and start unloading, and eventually I start to wonder, dang, how many bags are in here...
post #26 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Car: 05 safety 5 speed
Not in the Subie yet, but wont be long. SWMBO is into wildlife rescue stuff, so in the past I have carried some odd stuff. Once it was a Hobby - small cross between a hawk and an owl to look at - take it into bush and let it go. That was easy. Next was an echidna - football sized ant-eating marsupial with short but very sharp strong spines all over. Their defence mechanism in the wild is to dig a hole, hide the soft underparts in it, and only expose the nasty sharp parts to a predator. Guess what they do when they get out of their cage in the trunk of your car? They get down beside the spare, and hang on tight! Took me a lot of !@#$%^&*()+| , a couple of tough hessian bags and an hour to get it out..so it could be returned to the wild. Dont want to go there again. SWMBO laughed through the whole thing of course.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

jp
post #27 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 PM
_42

Car: 05 outback xt 5mt
Send a message via AIM to _42
A 13,000 watt soundsystem, 2 sets of turntables, 3 mixers, 4 crates of records, and 2 people plus luggage for a 3 day weekend. Plus it snowed and I was the only car able to get out and back for 2 days.
post #28 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 AM
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
Send a message via AIM to FMGreen

Not exactly an "odd" load. Plus, it happens relatively frequently. If I didn't know better, I'd figure it was designed for this purpose because it all fits so pefectly.

If you can't keep it clean, keep it green!
post #29 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Paladin, I think the Echidna in the Tire Well story has the stuff of legend...

Last night I hauled a futon in four pieces, including the mattress. It was about 4 inches too long to allow closing the hatch, but it fit and rode well.
post #30 of 828 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Car: 02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
i don't think i've hauled anything weird in mine yet, but when i was doing the trips to Albuquerque every weekend to help fix up girlfriend's 85 yr old adobe house, the Border Patrol regularly thought the amount of stuff (tools, paint, etc) i was carrying was too much for a weekend trip and would detain me for further interrogation at the checkpoint on I-25.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: