Subaru Outback Forums banner

Navigation Options Bundling

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hpat185 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2011 outback Limited 2.5 w/moonroof and am considering a 2015 or 2016 replacement Limited model.
I am however dismayed with Subaru's desire to force the consumer into paying for navigation that is really unnecessary if your already own a portable system movable between two cars.
Just curious how others feel about that and how they feel about Subaru Nav units in general.
I would love to see this reversed for 2016.

Thanks

#2 ·
The way I look at it, the NAV and the steering responsive fog lights are throw-ins on Package 23. I want everything else and it's worth the money to me. If you leave the fog lights on, it disables the annoying fog light while cornering funk. I use my smartphone Google Maps and Waze for NAV but the in-dash NAV would be useful in heavy traffic where I want something visual instead of the Waze voice prompts and it would be stupid (and illegal where I drive) to sneak a peek at my smartphone display.

> Keyless Access with Pushbutton Start. The two fobs can be set to automatically move the drivers seat to memory position #1 or #2 according to which fob is used.
> Moonroof
> auto dimming rear mirror
> compass
> Homelink garage door opener
> Eyesight
- lane sway warning
- pre-collision braking
- adaptive cruise control
> Steering Responsive Fog Lights
> Navigation/GPS

#4 · (Edited)
The popularity of smartphones is pushing car manufacturers to gave up the space of navigation apps for better apps and better user interfaces available available in handheld devices.

Eventually car makers will gave up this business and replace with connectivity services like starlink and car tools like diagnostics, journaling for maintenance, etc.

The freedom to allow users to choose any app inside the head units can be provided with mirrorlink functionality. Eventually apple with car play and google with android auto will fight for this market, taken away users from mirrorlink and from custom units from car manufacturers. Unfortunately most users will not know what mirrorlink is or does and this functionality may dissapear completely.

Our subarus do not have yet a platform that allow us integrate navigation from our smartphones into the cars unit. Mirrorlink is poorly implemented and outdated since 2015s Subaru only implemented mirrorlink 1.0 not 1.1, The latest is available in leading phone brands and this appear to be the reason for incompatibility with Subaru

Today we have the following solutions
a) Install an "android DVD/car unit" that you update at your own leisure and you can add apps of your preference. I have this solution for a 1998 Toyota minivan. I use copilot as the navigation app, an offline map solution that provides me with free map updates.
b) Buy an aftermarket unit.
c) Buy a garmin gps unit
d) use your smartphone (using offline maps or online maps if you have a dataplan)
All of these solutions are cheaper than the original Subarus navigation unit

I was "forced" to buy Subarus navigation package because I wanted the eyesight feature, which is not available as standalone feature.

So, I do not expect that car makers gave away the milky cow they have with expensive navigation units. Subaru is not the exception. As you see in my case I was forced to have it as part of a package. That will continue to be their business model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.