Subaru Outback Forums banner

Towing with 3.6R vs. renting a truck

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  upflying 
#1 ·
My family is moving in a couple of weeks- the new house is only about 1/2 a mile from where we currently live so I'm planning to make multiple loading/unloading trips over a 2-3 day period.

Broad question- is it more efficient/economical to rent a UHaul cargo trailer (5x10, 6x12) or a truck (10 ft, 15ft)? For a trailer, it's a flat rate; with a truck, in addition to the rate, there's a gas/mile charge, plus the cost to refill the tank at the end.

At my new house, I have the option of pulling in and pulling out in a horseshoe so there's no issue with backing up, etc... It's all flat too.

My Outback is a 2015 3.6R.

What else should I consider?

#2 ·
Do multiple trips with your OB having packed everything into cardboard boxes, then hire a small truck with a hydraulic lift gate to move the big stuff on the last day. Also check out small removal companies who charge by the hour and get them to come and grabbed the couple of large items you will have.

#6 ·
For a short move like that, consider the open utility trailer vs the enclosed cargo trailer. It's much easier to load, since height is no problem. Plus, you can load/unload over the sides.

I used one of these for a local move and it worked out pretty well with my 2.5:

U-Haul: 5x9 Utility Trailer Rental w/Ramp

We made two trips to move everything from a storage locker into an apartment. It was a UHaul storage facility, so the trailer was already there. They didn't even charge us for the dolly.

With moving, quicker is better. Kind of like ripping off a bandage, its going to be painful no matter what. If you do get a truck, get the largest you can - you'll waste less time trying to figure out how to get everything to fit and only have to make one trip.

#7 ·
Pulling a loaded U-Haul trailer for only a half mile isn't really towing. A lot fits into those trailers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.