Leather Seats Colors - Pros and Cons- Ivory verses Black - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leather Seats Colors - Pros and Cons- Ivory verses Black

New member with a question.

I live in sunny California. What are the pros and cons between the 2011 Outback Limited, Ivory verses Black Leather seats. Are the Ivory color hard to keep? Do they show lots of wear over time? Black color get to hot from the sun?

Buck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 AM

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC
fwiw, the black leather seats in my 2001 VDC still look like new after 9 years of use. I wasn't sure at first, but now I am sold on an all-black interior.

Keep in mind, some outbacks have better cowskin than others. Leather quality varies from year-to-year, across different trim lines, and even from car-to-car with the same year & trim.

Hot black seats...depends on how & where you park it. Not a problem in my world. This car is garaged at home. On the road in the summer I always try to park in the shade when possible, or at least orient for minimum sun exposure through the day. Plus if I'm parking for hours/days in the hot sun, I'll stick a sunshade on the dash. That does the trick 99% of the time. We've only had ouch-hot seats a couple of times that I can recall, and we always have beach towels in back, so no problem.

ymmv.

-Jeff

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you driveby for your informative reply. That helped me make up my mine on my 2011 order.

Buck

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Car: 05' OB 2.5i
Ive had ivory leather in one vehicle of my own. Never again. Black leather all the way. Of course it doesnt get nearly as hot here in denver as it did in Fresno. They dont sell many cars with black leather out there in Central California.

Yeah, mine shakes at idle, they all do that..........right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 AM

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver, wheel arch, splash guards, bumper protector, seat back protector
Just curious what did you decide? I am trying to decide between taupe fabric or ivory leather (I like the white car). I wasn't interested in the leather until I sat in the Limited...I thought it was pretty nice! (Also would enjoy the auto climate as I have it now). Though I don't like the fake wood grain which is holding me back.

Thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Car: 2008 OB XT Limited; 2002 Impreza 2.5TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemobile View Post
Ive had ivory leather in one vehicle of my own. Never again.
+1

My Outback's interior is ivory. It's horrible. It's ALWAYS dirty, and it's virtually impossible to get really, really clean.
The leather is the least of the problems: the moldings and carpet are constantly filthy.

Ivory would be great if you never (1) have inclement weather, (2) have kids, (3) have pets, or (4) do anything outdoors.

Bimmer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM

I'm in CA had the black leather / interior in my 01 subaru till we traded it in for a 2010 with the light cream colored leather. I'm not a big fan of the light cream colored leather seats or interior given it shows all manner of dirt etc. We camp - have a kid and dog etc. Guessing I'll be cleaning the seats in the OB WAY more than I did with the black interior old subaru. It does seem to stay a little cooler but we have the dark blue OB so either way we get cooked when its hot. Too many white cars in the family I had to break the trend.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Car: 2010 Outback 3.6R Azurite Blue Pearl w/Nav & Moonroof
I have had other vehicles with Ivory interiors, both cloth and leather. My new OB Limited has Ivory leather. Maguire's leather cleaner/conditioner does a fine job of keeping the seats clean and preserved. The 2010 OB that I have has Ivory Leather and partial Ivory door panels, but has a black dash, partial door panels and floors (mats), so I guess I got the best of both worlds. I don't have any experience with perforated leather, so don't know if that will be problematic should you spill something on the seat. The sun can be a problem with leather regardless of color if you park without any sunshade or tinting, any leather will retain heat. Also it is a lot of personal preference - I know a guy who only wants black interior, I tend to like taupe or ivory more. With the new OB, you don't have interior color choice, it is based on the exterior paint color so that will factor into your decision as well. I feel that hte Azurite Blue Pearl would not look good with black, looks great with Ivory. The only color combo I think they messed up on the new one is Harvest Gold w/Ivory interior. I It really washes out and I think looks very bland (my opinion is it would look 100% better with black). Hope this helps and good luck! I'm sure you'll like whichever one you choose.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckndee View Post
Thank you driveby for your informative reply. That helped me make up my mine on my 2011 order.
You're very welcome. Please remember to post back here when you have your 2011...with pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownSubie View Post
I don't like the fake wood grain which is holding me back.
Yeah, I never liked the fake woodgrain in my 2001 either.

Last year, I finally bought a full set of replacement trim pieces on ebay and painted them in "hammered metal" black. I kept the original pieces just in case I screwed up, but now that I know how easy this is, I would not hesitate to pull the fake wood trim off a new car and repaint it on Day 1.

My big discovery was....the new plastic spray-paints (Krylon Fusion, Rustoleum Plastic, etc) work incredibly well. Just practice on a plastic food container to get the right texture/thickness. And err on the side of less paint...you can always add another coat later. This stuff is indestructible as far as I can tell. Nothing like the flaky spray paints we had 10 or 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
...we have the dark blue OB so either way we get cooked when its hot...
Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a reflective "sock" to pull over the car for long-term trailhead parking? Slightly stretchy fabric, but dense enough to block the sun? That should protect the inside & outside of a newer car.

My black OB is pushing a decade, looking pretty good minus some tiny cracks in the clearcoat (especially on the hood), but still...a cover would be worth a try.

For me the ideal Outback would have a silver Gen 3 exterior, with a black Gen 2 interior. Imagine that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagleson View Post
Also it is a lot of personal preference - I know a guy who only wants black interior, I tend to like taupe or ivory more.
+1.

The #1 reason for most people to pick light vs. dark interior is how it feels. Think about the rooms in your house. How many of your walls are painted black or dark gray?

None, unless you develop film or drink blood.

On the other hand, you don't rub your dirty clothes against the walls of your house when you come off the trail...and you don't drive your house down a 10-mile dirt road to a roaring muddy river that your dog wants to play in...

Light or dark both make sense. It all depends on how you use it.

-Jeff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

Ended up ordering a 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited in Sky blue with black leather but was very tempted by the Ruby red with ivory leather (sample Tribeca). I test drove a 2010 Outback Limited and was impressed with how well it drove and looks sharp in Sky blue.

Having never owned a vehicle with leather seats. My 23 years experience as a Ford HD mechanic indicated that the light colored slick high gloss Ford/Lincoln leather seats always looked dirty and showed age cracking in a short time but looked sharp when new. I keep my vehicles 15-20 years and use them hard so I decided to go with the Black leather after reading every ones feedback.

It's going to be hard waiting 6-8 weeks or more for delivery. My 1996 built Ford Bronco is my off road/towing rig. The OB is to replace the 18 year old DOA Ford Taurus. The OB will be doing double duty on and off road.

Buck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: