Subaru Outback Forums banner

Clear Bra Owners

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Papa Smurf 
#1 ·
I upgraded my 2013 OB and ordered a 2016 OB which should be here sometime late August, early September. On my 2013 I received a bunch of stone nicks and would like to protect the new Dark Blue. I have been kicking around the idea of having a clear bra installed and would like to hear your experiences. The questions I have are:

How much did you pay? I have been thinking about purchasing a precut one off the internet and having a fellow who has more experience do the install.

How long do they last?
Which material is the best ?
Has anyone ever had theirs removed?
Did it discolor with age or peal off?

I'm on the fence and just need some advise

#2 ·
We had our 2015 done. It was about $600. Our shop used the Suntek product:

http://www.suntekfilms.com/iHome.aspx

It's warrantied for 5 years and we were told it can be removed with no problem although we don't have any experience with removal. We were also told that it should not yellow. My thought is that after five years, if we still have the car, I'd be willing to pay for another clear bra if it made sense based on the car's overall condition.

Given all the road construction we have and the nasty bugs down here, it made sense to get the clear bra.

Good luck with your decision.

#4 ·
We have a 2015 H6 and put the clear film on the car. The dealership used 3M product and it cost us $800 CDN.
I also had this product on my old vehicle, 02 VW Passat Varient (Wagon). It protected the front end from any rock chips and any other road damage to the day we sold it, 10 years later.
I even put it on my motorcycle, well worth the money.

#5 ·
I just got a quote for our '15 OB 795.00

Second, I had a clear bra product on the nose of my S4 Audi Avant for 15 years. Over the yrs the product yellowed and cracked which could be seen easily on a white car. Had the product removed a few months ago just before selling the car. Psint was perfect and almost no visable line.

#6 ·
I paid around $800 two years ago and had the 3M product professionally installed on the entire hood (not just the lower portion as included in most kits), the entire front bumper, and the side mirrors. No regrets whatsoever. The installers came out to the house and did it right in my own garage so I got to see the entire process. Well worth the price IMO.

#7 ·
Prices for clear film should be between $599-999 depending on location/film used and warranty.

3M and XPEL are popular and have great warranties.

Covering the entire hood is diminishing returns unless you get a super price. The entire front bumper and mirrors should definitely be covered.

#8 ·
I have a SunTek clear bra on my white '13 SAP. I had the bumper, front half of quarter panels, about the leading 18" of the front hood, headlights, fog lights, side mirror backs, and door cups done for about $650. Clear bra is most noticeable on white vehicles.

It's been on for two years and have not seen any damage to the area covered by the bra. Only rock chip has been beyond the coverage on a quarter panel, but there are lots of rocks on the roads here in Arizona. Every couple of months I apply Plexus to the covered areas, it is supposed to help prevent/slow any yellowing, which is most notable on white vehicles.

#11 ·
I was quoted $995 for a partial hood, fenders and full front and full mirrors in the SE MI area for a 2016 OB. The tech also recommended the headlights for $150-200 more. This is for ExPel ultimate with a 10 yr warranty.

My earliest appointment is for 9/14/15. So I can't really drive the vehicle too much right now and incur damage. Talk about delayed gratification! I have clay barred the front clip twice and waxed the thing while waiting. The paint was surprizingly "dirty" after a thorough hand wash at home. I may strip the wax off it and clay bar the rest of vehicle.

When I was at the Expel shop a new BMW M edition X5 was getting a full film treatment. The tech said the owner had clay barred the brand new vehicle twice. Then the shop will also clay bar before applying the film. A new red Vette also received a full cover except for the trunk lid. I did not ask how much$. Looked great.

Silver and white color cars show the edge lins of the film the most.

#12 ·
Well I did it. Had Expel put on about 1/3 of the hood, front of the fenders, mirrors and bumper. Clear Bra of Cincinnati did it. There were a few small bubbles and I was told they would go away in a few weeks and they did. Looks great, nice installation. Cost about $700.00. In a few years I will know if it was worth the money. Thank you all for your comments>:)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.