How do you bend headrest posts? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 05 outback wagon llbean h6, 06 outback wagon 3.0R VDC limited h6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How do you bend headrest posts?

So from the forums, it looks like the easiest solution to the tilted forward headrest is to bend the posts. I took a stab at it tonight, but don't have the right setup to do it. I noticed that the posts are hollow, which makes me leary of kinking them while trying to bend them.

If anyone has successfully accomplished this, can you please tell me how to do it?

Thanks!

p.s., just bought our second subaru this week '06 outback 3.0 VDC limited to go with my wife's '05 outback llbean - nice!
kbm774 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium

On the new OBs, one can take the headrests out and turn them around to change the angle. You might try that.
ob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Green OBW (Maia)
Send a message via AIM to SovereignAxe

I'm wondering why you'd want to modify a safety device
SovereignAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Head restraints are designed to protect in an accident and need to be as close as possible in normal driving - if you don't want that, just take them out - it's your neck, literally.

Kapustin Yar - I wasn't there, it didn't happen.
Ruperts Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Green OBW (Maia)
Send a message via AIM to SovereignAxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
Head restraints are designed to protect in an accident and need to be as close as possible in normal driving - if you don't want that, just take them out - it's your neck, literally.
exactly. I've always felt the term "head rest" was inaccurate as they are not intented for you to rest your head on. they are intented to keep you from getting whiplash in the event that you get rear ended. the longer your head has to travel to reach the head restraint the faster your head will be traveling when it hits it and the higher the likelihood you'll be injured because of it.
SovereignAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: Outback Premium 2.5i

Yes, it's great to protect our necks from whiplash, but not at the expense of neck pain every day due to the **** things. It's so frustratting. I just bought a 2012 ob and I test drove the cars 4 times and didn't have a problem with the headrest/ restraint so it's not horrible like a ford edge I've driven, but on longer drives it's really bothering me. I'm not sure what to do. I love everything else about the car, but this makes me not like driving it. I'm hoping I'll get used to it or find an alternative. I like the idea of bending the posts, but don't want them to break when needed most!
Cjbbml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i Premium AWP Moonroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbbml View Post
Yes, it's great to protect our necks from whiplash, but not at the expense of neck pain every day due to the **** things. It's so frustratting. I just bought a 2012 ob and I test drove the cars 4 times and didn't have a problem with the headrest/ restraint so it's not horrible like a ford edge I've driven, but on longer drives it's really bothering me. I'm not sure what to do. I love everything else about the car, but this makes me not like driving it. I'm hoping I'll get used to it or find an alternative. I like the idea of bending the posts, but don't want them to break when needed most!
if you think your neck hurts now, imagine how much it would hurt if you were rear ended and the headrest was modified or removed and didn't do it's job. look up coup countercoup!
sbpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '15 FXT

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
if you think your neck hurts now, imagine how much it would hurt if you were rear ended and the headrest was modified or removed and didn't do it's job. look up coup countercoup!
Yes, but what if they hurt enough during daily driving that you feel you have to get rid of the car? Sounds like you are saying "suck it up."

I tested 5 different cars and each car was different. My car didn't cause pain while driving like the others. If you can't live with it I suggest trying a pipe bender. You can get them at any hardware store.

Common sense, isn't common.
Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i Premium AWP Moonroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm774 View Post
So from the forums, it looks like the easiest solution to the tilted forward headrest is to bend the posts. I took a stab at it tonight, but don't have the right setup to do it. I noticed that the posts are hollow, which makes me leary of kinking them while trying to bend them.

If anyone has successfully accomplished this, can you please tell me how to do it?

Thanks!

p.s., just bought our second subaru this week '06 outback 3.0 VDC limited to go with my wife's '05 outback llbean - nice!
well i have had major back surgery and know what chronic pain feels like, and if it bothered me that much i'd probably get rid of the car if you want my honest opinion.
sbpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2005 manual

I also find the headrests annoying... Try playing with the seat back position. I end up tilting it back a bit and forcing myself to sit more upright. This gives me just enough clearance and it's good for posture !

frankspinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: