Block Heater installed - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback Wagon 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Block Heater installed

I got the block heater installed on my 08 Outback i thought it was going to be a pain because the exhaust is in the way but i managed it and got it back together now but i'm not sure i like how the instructions say to route the cord for the heater any got any suggestions or pic maybe?

I just don't like the idea of the cord sitting almost directly on the exhaust shield, so i need another way of routing it.
Gonesubing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R

Does the cord have heat shielding around it? If it does, it'll be fine, if not, just get something like this and wrap it around the harness Thermo-Tec Thermo-Shield Hose & Wire Protectant Tape - THTSERIES

About your install, did you drain the radiator first? Or just pop off the core plug and stick the block heater in real quick before too much coolant leaked out?
Viceland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

My block heater was installed by the dealer before I took delivery. I think it's the same as yours. The two-wire cord comes down from the heater (reddish-brown colored connector at the heater) and then makes a sharp 90 degree bend. At that point it's quite close to the heat shield, but then runs forward and somewhat up, so for the most part it's a reasonable distance from the metal. As Viceland noted, the cord, from the heater out about six inches, is covered by a black, braided, heat shielding tube. The braided tube, where the wire bends 90 degrees, is in loose contact with the exhaust shield, but the wire inside is not. The wire then runs forward to the lower radiator hose where it it tied with a black plastic "zip" tie. The original installation had the cord then go between the radiator and it's support, and exit out the front bumper, where it would be readily accessible but, in my opinion, also subject to the harsh environment of our salty and wet roads. Instead, I pulled it back behind the radiator, and up to the windshield washer reservoir, where the cord is draped over the top between the yellow cap and the metal cross member. (I use the heater only occasionally, so I'm not averse to having to pop the hood to retrieve the cord at those times.)

I tried to get underneath to take pics of the heater area itself but found I'd have to remove the right side splash shield to be able to see the block heater clearly. However, if you need more details, I can give it another try.

EDIT:

I managed to get the camera into a position underneath to show the routing.

Photo #006 shows where cord is connected to the block heater and makes the 90 degree turn. The braided heat shield is also apparent. It then twists up, and is tied to the oil dipstick tube, also visible in this photo. Tieing to the tube keeps it alway from the exhaust.

In photo 002, it then comes from the left side, over the exhaust, and jumps to the lower radiator hose where it is also zip tied (upper right).

In photo 007 it makes another jump over to the area adjacent to the windshield washer tube, and then goes up. This is shown more clearly in 008, where it is tied to the ATF lines and to the upper washer fluid tube. (Originally it went forward from the tie to the ATF lines, and out between the radiator and the frame to the front. My change was to route it straight up to the washer fluid fill tube.)

009 shows the cord in its storage position, draped over the the top of the washer fill tube. In the photo, the cord comes up the lower side of the tube, drapes over the top, and the plug hangs down on the "upper" side in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Block Heater installed-block-heater-cord-006-large-.jpg   Block Heater installed-block-heater-cord-002-large-.jpg   Block Heater installed-block-heater-cord-007-large-.jpg   Block Heater installed-block-heater-cord-008-large-.jpg   Block Heater installed-block-heater-cord-009-large-.jpg  

Last edited by plain OM; 11-07-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: update with pics
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback Wagon 2.5i

Nice thanks for the photo's i had a hard time trying to understand the directions that subaru provides with there OEM block heater. Yes it is close with our model to the Heat shield. And yes i feel the same way i want my plug closer to the top for access and so i can hide it in the summer since it is a eye sore when not being used.

Viceland.
yes i did drain the radiator just to play it safe since i only got 1 gal of coolant and the nearest suabru dealer is about 4 hours away. I bought a new drain pan and made sure to catch all that i could so i could reuse it. I did notice that there was no drain valve om my radiator so i had to do it the old fashion way, undo the radiator hose. I don't like the idea of just pulling the plug and swaping really fast becuase gravity is working against you no matter what and the plug is at the bottom of the hole system, and trying to do it fast you don't want to crossthread it since it is only aluminum you are screwing into.
Gonesubing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2008 L.L. Beanie Gold Harvest

Gonesubing: There should be a plastic drain plug down on the passenger side of the radiator. If a picture would help leet me know and i will try to get under there and take one. I;m not sure if the plastic undertray covers it or not as i took mine off the first day and never put it back on.
jeramifrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a pic of the drain plug in this post: Circulating Tank Heater

The plastic undertray (splash shield) has to come off to gain access and get a pan underneath. Even then, it's possible that some of the coolant will become contaminated by dirt on parts below. Traditional petcocks used earlier were great because a hose could be fitted to their outlets. My 76 Chev has it and draining is clean and drip free.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: Have had several... Just drove new impreza!! Eyeing 2012 Outback Limited!
Smile 2013 Outback 2.5 block heater

Has anyone self-installed the Subaru-supplied engine block heater?
If so, any gotchas? I did one 10 years ago on my Toyota truck, was easy. Haven't looked underneath the engine yet for hookup location or access on this new engine.
Dealer up here (AK) is a total ripoff for most everything.
Thanks
Alaskan Subie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
Unhappy

I installed one in my wife's '05 2.5i. I do remember buying it at the dealer, so it was the one made for her car.

No installation problems at all - other than my having to be a bit 'creative' to keep it away from the exhaust manifolds. I also recall the cord being a bit short, but managed to route it through and secure the plug to the middle support visible underneath the front bumper. There is a short vertical piece of grille, or whatever you would call it, and I hitched it to that.

It did take a while to route through to the front in the most-direct routing possible to use as little power cord as I mentioned, they certainly didn't give any extra. One inch shorter and I would have been up the creek without a paddle.
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Re post #7. The 2013 has the FB engine -- very different cooling system, and different block.

See attached. Accessory installation instructions are available free from Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome. Look under "Online Reference".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013LegacyandOBKEngineBlockHeater.pdf (178.0 KB, 345 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: