Subaru Outback Forums banner

Backcountry gps apps??

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dcginc 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Im going to northern Michigan in a few weeks and im going to hit some trails while im there. I was wondering what you guys are using for backcountry gps apps. Im looking to have certain features such as offline maps, tracking, waypoint sets, etc... I have an iPhone 6 and the problem I am running in to is that most of the good apps seem to only allow the importing of outside gpx files through either iTunes Filesharing or some other interface, as opposed to just emailing or uploading the file directly to my phone and importing it to the app right off the SD card. This may seem trivial but my issue with this is that if I find that a particular map is garbage, then I have no way of getting another map if I have to rely on iTunes Filesharing. I would like an app that would allow my to download maps from outside sources and be able to import it directly off my sd regard without having to use a filesharing interface. I used to have Backcountry Navigator for my droid which was AWESOME!! Had TONS of maps that I could just download to my SD card out in the field and import to my phone and switch back to airplane mode and track a hike offline, so easy to use. Cant seem to find the same app for iPhone. Anyways, let me know what you guys are using, thanks!

Considering:
LeadNav Offroad GPS App
Avenza PDF Viewer
PathAway

See less See more
#2 ·
Once upon a time when I used i devices I had MotionX GPS which I think is fairly good if you want something to track routes and view maps. Not sure if it's good for downloading routes to though. I don't have a ton of insight though as I've gone lower tech since then (as I've gotten into more committing backcountry activities it's become increasingly important not to rely on cellphones and their finicky batteries).

#5 ·
Thanks guys!! However, Im looking purely for iPhone based apps. You can use an iPhone strictly as a GPS device by a adjusting a couple settings which locks the phone, restart it and only the GPS function works. That way you can pull up offline maps and still track your location and map routes. My only gripe is the manner in which I can put those offline maps onto the phone. Just curious if anyone uses any specific apps that allow that. Thanks!

#10 ·
I use a standalone Garmin with replaceable AA batteries for anything I do on foot. And I carry one spare battery set for every 1.5 days usage.

My iPhone (and probably any other smartphone) doesn't have the usage hours on full charge, the replaceable batteries, or the range away from cell towers, to be a viable navigation device.

#11 ·
You won't listen to me...

But I recommend against using an I-Phone for GPS off line. Why? Battery AND accuracy. You either have to carry and external charger or you have to use it and put away to conserve battery. Also I have found that in general phone GPS isn't always as accurate because the rely on cell towers to be "accurate." The GPS receiver in most phones just isn't good enough. Don't believe me? Try using your app compass around where you live. Being off by a couple degrees or a few hundred feet isn't a big deal in the city, but it can be life and death in the trees.

It really depends what you are doing though...
Going on well established highly trafficked trails for an overnight and just want a backup app since your carrying your phone anyway... fine. I've done that but I used a Android device... because removable battery! GPS drains the battery fast, even if all other wireless radios are disabled. An Iphone should give you about 2-5 hours of use offline. So it depends what your needs are. Backcountry is a good app. I have hours and hours of use in the trees with phone apps and many different phones, and my advice stands. Don't use a phone for backcountry navigation. JUST DON'T. No. I said No....no! I also carry a SPOT with me. For friends and family on mulitday trips it was cool for them to log in to the site and see locations and messages from us. It was not 100% perfect though and sometimes didn't work but it worked 80%+ of the time.

I do recommend a stand alone handheld GPS. Compass and maps are better still, if you know how to use them. But you should not be hoofing it in the woods with out a compass and maps and the knowledge of how to use them!!!!

As always bring the 10 essentials.

#12 ·
Thanks guys!! I did find a good app that gives access to various TOPO maps as well as high res satellite imagery and functions almost as easily as Backcountry navigator, its called Topo Maps+ for iPhone 6. Should check it out. You can get low res maps for free, or for $15 you can download all high res maps, allows track recording and route tracing and functions offline.

"You won't listen to me...

But I recommend against using an I-Phone for GPS off line. Why? Battery AND accuracy. You either have to carry and external charger or you have to use it and put away to conserve battery. Also I have found that in general phone GPS isn't always as accurate because the rely on cell towers to be "accurate." The GPS receiver in most phones just isn't good enough. Don't believe me? Try using your app compass around where you live. Being off by a couple degrees or a few hundred feet isn't a big deal in the city, but it can be life and death in the trees.

It really depends what you are doing though...
Going on well established highly trafficked trails for an overnight and just want a backup app since your carrying your phone anyway... fine. I've done that but I used a Android device... because removable battery! GPS drains the battery fast, even if all other wireless radios are disabled. An Iphone should give you about 2-5 hours of use offline. So it depends what your needs are. Backcountry is a good app. I have hours and hours of use in the trees with phone apps and many different phones, and my advice stands. Don't use a phone for backcountry navigation. JUST DON'T. No. I said No....no! I also carry a SPOT with me. For friends and family on mulitday trips it was cool for them to log in to the site and see locations and messages from us. It was not 100% perfect though and sometimes didn't work but it worked 80%+ of the time.

I do recommend a stand alone handheld GPS. Compass and maps are better still, if you know how to use them. But you should not be hoofing it in the woods with out a compass and maps and the knowledge of how to use them!!!!

As always bring the 10 essentials."

I appreciate the feedback and I completely agree with just about everything you said as I have had the same experiences. However, we are going into highly defined trails that are part of the Michigan ORV Trail system, which are well documented. I would never rely on my phone to physically guide myself through the brush in a remote area and hope that itll get me out for all the reasons you mentioned. The only reason I am using my phone for this is because although the trails are highly documented, there are numerous trails that branch off from one another and they meander quite a bit. So, in conjunction with the various trail maps and compass that I always carry with me, I also want to be able to record my track for added security in case I cant remember which way I turned at a certain point. I was on some jeep trails in Joshua Tree last year and even with a trail map and compass, there was one point where I made a wrong turn and had to backtrack a bit as the trail split but ran parallel for about a mile. So even though I was traveling in the right direction, the trail eventually made a turn opposite where I wanted to go which is when I realized I took the wrong one. So having the ability to track my route just makes it a little easier. Plus, being able to download high res satellite images of the area I'll be in helps identify that Im actually on the right trail and not someones back yard. Im no stranger to backcountry navigating, was just looking for a good iPhone app to supplement the trail maps. But thank you...

#13 ·
Hahaha, Well that changes EVERYTHING. Also while BackCountry GPS is an awesome app it is Android only, so sorry that my only help advise to you (well in truth...it wasn't to you...it was to the "other people") wasn't...helpful.

Here are some recommended ones you can research...
MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Overview
Trip Journal: Mobile Travel App for iPhone, Android, Symbian and Bada
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trimble-outdoors-navigator/id478333162?mt=8

For GPS real-time tracking, I do recommend a SPOT.
SPOT Gen3
I use an older model "Connect."
I paid $50 for mine. And about $100 a year...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.