Subaru Outback Forums banner

Thinking about my first Subaru

5K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  MajorC 
#1 ·
Hello all I'm new here, and I was hoping for some advice. I am in the market for a new vehicle, and a Subaru Forester or Outback made the list. I am going tomorrow to my local Subaru dealership to rent a Forester (they didn't have any Outback's) for a couple days just to see if I like it. My main concern is the lack of 6 cylinder engine in all except the higher end Outback. How does the H4 engine fare? Does it have enough power or does it leave you wanting more? I've only ever had two vehicles, and both of them have had V6's.

Also, I tend to keep my vehicles many, many years so I want something reliable. I've heard good things about Subaru. Would anyone hesitate recommending buying a newer model Forester or Outback?

Thanks for your help, and I'm super excited to rent the Forester tomorrow!

#2 ·
weird you found a subaru dealer with no outbacks to let you borrow as a rental.

I would ask them if they would let you test drive one overnight or from Friday to Monday,...at least a H4 to get a feel of the car. ...then they are treating you like a interested car buyer. (which they may not be if you call them asking about "needing" to rent "something".

if you are use to V6 power, then you will find the subaru H4's just adequate.

_____

I have had many subarus. I never liked what subaru put in Foresters for front seats,...and still don't. Last year I sat in every car in a subaru show room and was happy with all, except a Forester.

(that is just my opinion, others have and love Foresters, ...but that is their body not mine. ...seating position is great for some people,...but not me,...and I always wanted to like it).

#4 ·
The person I talked to said they didn't currently have any Outback's in their fleet due to demand. This is the only dealer in North Alabama (or that I know of anyway) so IDK. This is actually my first time renting a car so I'm new to everything.

I am leanings towards the Outback if I purchased a Subaru just based on looks right now, but I'm renting the Forester to check out the engine (hoping it will be similar to the Outback) and feel for the brand, etc. But I may fall in love with the Forester who knows. Also, I'm new to the car buying experience. Do they actually let people take them home for a couple days?

#5 ·
You can sometimes sign out a car for an extended test drive. This depends much more on the individual dealer's policy, local laws and car availability than the brand involved. Some will rent you the car and some will then credit the rental towards a purchase, others will just sign it over. I strongly recommend trying the extended test drive in whatever form it may be available to you. It helps you figure out stuff like whether the car fits your garage/parking space, how it feels on your actual commute, does the dog/bicycle/wheelchair/drum kit fit in back, how it looks in day vs. night lighting... lots of little things you'd just never work out in the typical "intro" test ride.

Subarus have been selling very well for the past few years, especially the Outback. This means many dealers just don't have any around to offer out on extended tests. 3.6R models are quite constrained nationwide- they are selling as many as they can make as fast as they can make them. You'll be extremely lucky if you find one to test in person.

Note that the Forester is available with two different engines- one of them is the same as the Outback 2.5, and the other is a turbocharged 2.5 in the Forester XT. That engine is not offered in Outbacks. The turbo XT is substantially faster.

cars101.com has all kinds of useful Subaru data and details. Good luck!

#7 ·
You will need to experience both the Forester and OB for yourself to decide.

I came from a V6 GMC Acadia. I had no problem dropping down to the 2.5.

My wife has a '14 Forester and I have a '15 OB. She thinks the OB is too big and I think the Forester is a tad too small. You will need to decide for yourself. which works best for you.

Reactions: Jessica08
#8 ·
The Forester has two engines choices; the 2.5 H4, which I believe is the same as the one in the Outback and the 2.0 Turbo. The Outback also has two engine choices, the aforementioned 2.5 HA and the 3.6R H6. It should be noted that out of these 3 engines, one of them requires the use of premium gasoline; the 2.0 Turbo.

We haven't a clue about your current situation or needs, so for anyone but you to suggest something for you is meaningless. We can only tell you what our decision factors were.

I do not like small engines with turbos that require premium gas. I am much more partial to the quiet power of a naturally aspired H6 or a V8, but that's just me. Even if the 2.0 Turbo was offered in the Outback, I would not have chosen it and if there were no H6 for the Outback, I would be driving something else.

This is my first Subaru and I was downsizing from a fully loaded 2002 Tahoe LT 4X4 with a 5.2L V8. I am very impressed with my fully loaded 2016 3.6R OB.

I test drove a 2016 2.5 OB premium, and immediately ordered a 3.6R Limited. When it was delivered to the dealership, my wife and I took a quick test drive, signed the papers, dropped a check and went home, me in the OB and she in the Pilot.

#9 ·
Off topic, but why do most manufactures use four cylinder engines in their small to mid level SUV's or why don't they offer a bigger engine on them if wanted? I know for MGP, but is the EPA telling the manufacturers they must do this or are the manufacturers doing this themselves?

#10 ·
CAFE federal standards for fuel economy. It's a hideously complex arrangement of rules for gas mileage. The ultra condensed version is that they can build whatever they want, but they must sell enough high-MPG cars to offset their sales of (fun) gas guzzlers so that the grand total average meets a posted goal that keeps going up year by year.

And they were already pretty motivated- it was only 18 months ago that most americans were paying over $3/gallon for their fuel. It takes a lot longer than that for an automaker to respond with new models.

Lastly, a number of countries (but notably, not the USA) levy automobile taxes based on engine displacement. The biggest automakers want cars they can build once and sell anywhere, so there is a lot of pressure to keep those engines small.

#12 ·
:rolleyes:

What I said was would anyone recommend buying a newer model Forester or Outback. I was meaning what year's models are most recommended and reliable. I'm looking at both new and used, and all manufactures have year models that are better then some. I didn't expect you to tell me go by a Chevy or Ford. I'm new to everything Subaru so that's why I'm here asking questions.

#14 ·
2.5 (4) vs 3.6 (6) has been a subject of endless discussion on this forum. The net is that 3.6 owners believe the 2.5 does not have enough power and the 2.5 owners, naturally, think it's just fine (even for towing). The bottom line is you are just going to have to drive a 2.5 and make up your own mind! (I have a 2.5, so I am, of course, in the "it's just fine" camp).

Oh, and apparently the 3.6 owners have some sort of secret wave, although owners of blue 3.6 cars are, evidently, excluded.

#16 ·
I came from a V-8 Tahoe to a 2.5i Outback, no problem! I was really impressed with the 4 cylinder on the test drive. I also have 120 mile commute to work, and wanted something more fuel efficient.

#17 ·
I went today, and when I got there, I knew the Forester would be too small for me so since they let me go on a good test drive in an used 2015 OB, I didn't bother renting that Forester. They actually had an H6 and a few H4 used OB.

I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the H4, and the V6 in my 12 year old Envoy. It seems peppy. I got on a stretch of highway going about 65 then went back roads where there were red lights and lots of turns. I was very impressed with it, and it is at the top of my list for sure.

Couple of things I didn't like: the headrests. They seem to protrude too far forward. The MPG gauge that goes from left to right depending on how big of lead foot I had. Please tell me that can be turned off????? That would annoy me a lot. Haha. The engine kind of hummed I guess you could say when I would accelerate too fast. I would have to learn how to drive without a lead foot. :) Is that a 4 cylinder engine thing?

Overall I was impressed and especially so with the 4 cylinder engine. I also liked that I didn't have problem seeing out of the thing. It was very roomy as well. Plenty of cargo space in the rear for my dogs or groceries.

#19 ·
He said he couldn't find the keys. I was like okay so I told him the 4 cylinder would do. I really wouldn't want all the features of the limited plus the price of that trim level so I don't know if I would purchase the H6 anyway since it is only available in the limited.

I can't believe there isn't an option to turn that monitor off. Is this a 2015/2016 thing or did all year models have it?

#23 ·
Pretty sure the eco meter is always displayed. You get used to it not a big deal.

The hum is the CVT, you get used to that. You are aware of it at first but you won't even notice it in short order.

Depending on your height, the headrests may require a little tinkering. They adjust up and down and pivot forward to back. Positioning is a safety thing and a common annoyance in many newer vehicles. My son is a service writer at a dealership and hears complaints about headrest positioning on a regular basis.

Reactions: Jessica08
#25 ·
Some Outbacks from 2013 had a problem with excessive engine oil consumption, and some from 2010-2013 or so suffer from a lane wandering problem.

Not all cars had problems. I'd think that a large majority didn't.

Look at low mi '13s and 14s. Be prepared to pay a premium though...even used.

#27 ·
Yeah looking at some of the used car prices on them I would be better negotiating a deal on a new one that had everything I wanted or didn't want. Most on the lots have navigation which I don't want or need.

It's not just Subaru though that are high priced for used. Everything is higher for some reason or you have excessive miles and sometimes those are higher than they should be IMO.

#32 ·
If the H4 appeals to you, most certainly buy it. Once you get past the "which powerplant is for me" hurdle, the rest of it is pretty straightforward. Decide how you want it optioned, for you, not for resale, and enjoy. They're great cars...you may only see 4-5 in Al in your lifetime...but I think you'd enjoy owning one. Best luck on your search.

#33 ·
I could see buying the H6 if I was towing or had kids that would add extra weight, but normally it's me and all I would haul is groceries and my dogs. :) My commute to work is a whole 2 miles, and I don't really go on long trips so MPG is not a huge concern of mine so that puts a plus in the H6 category plus I go up a mountain to get to church so I want to be able to get up it with ease. But I don't want or need all the features of the Limited nor the higher price tag.

On a side note, I told my mother if I bought one I'd be the only in my town to have a Subaru. :)

#36 ·
It was the hills around here that decided engine choice for me. It's not mountainous by any measure, but there's a lot of rolling country in the foothills of the Appalachians.

Car manufacturers are going to bundle together as many items as they can to maximize their profit. No more a la carte option ordering, so you have to decide if you're willing to sacrifice some options to save money. On the other hand, you must also consider the driving experience itself. Is it worth investing into? For me, it was a yes. I drove both H4 and H6 cars, manual and auto transmissions...and the 4 just wasn't enough for me.

Most anyone can make do with "most any" car for basic transportation. I didn't want "basic transportation". I wanted something I enjoyed driving. Even if it cost a couple of dollars a day more.

#43 ·
With all the stereotypes floating around about what kind of people drive Subarus, you can bet your @ss I'm the only one here with one. I'm quite ok with that, though.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm
Driving / Owning Subaru there !!!
You had better attend those churches on a weekly basis
for forgiveness.

#45 ·
weird you found a subaru dealer with no outbacks to let you borrow as a rental =QUOTE said:
I went several times to our local dealership in SC and we were told both times there were no Outbacks available to drive. From Thanksgiving to Christmas a few came in and they were pre-sold and we could look but not drive. Salesman was nice, but a tad smug. He tells us to get in line and no discounts, rebates, or incentives on the Outback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.