Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subaru Does NOT Care about what we think.

10K views 49 replies 36 participants last post by  millermmail 
#1 ·
Subaru does NOT give a **** about what their customers think or want. IF they did, the radio would not be as bad as it is, Apple Carplay would be available, and the ridiculous Starlink app would actually work to level the rest of the car operates. I am a first time Subaru owner, and am appalled at the clunky nature of the radio, the poor design and overall function of the "apps" the say are part of the car... news flash Subaru.... you should see this thing called the iPhone! It's amazing! The apps are seamlessly integrated into the operation of the phone and provide real value! The Starlink app is as useful as a broom in the desert..... All sarcasm aside, I am sure they don't read these much less care about what we are all saying, if they did, crap would change. The car is superior in every way EXCEPT the multimedia system.... It's almost as if they don't understand that the average Subaru owner is tech savvy and wants this as part of our car! Rather than sending out more surveys about my "lifestyle" and what I want in the car, READ what we have been sending in... Oh yeah, the remote started sucks too. No other car I am aware of shuts off when you open the door... Another swing and miss, and yet another suprise.... Time to bring the 1987 Starlink app and Carplay into 2016. That is all....

#2 ·
So what makes you an expert on the average Subaru owner?

I am tech savvy, have been designing and writing software since before many here were born.

Newsflash.....I could care less about the "multimedia system". My only expectation is that when I turn the radio on, sound comes out of the speakers. My OB performs this function admirably.

I could care less if my phone works with the car as when I'm driving I focus on that task and my phone remains in my pocket. More should try that, the roads would be safer.

As for being an average Subaru owner, I have you 2 to 1. My wife is also a Subaru owner and she also could care less about how well her phone plays with her car.

I think Subaru is listening just fine as evidenced by their seemingly never ending sales increases.

#5 ·
If it's any consolation, not many OEMs have done much better. Aftermarket seems to have done a little better.

It's kinda funny to think that a phone is soooo important to people in their cars. Must be why ES is needed? Drivers driving around frustrated that their phones don't interface.

You might have to wait for the new google, or apple autonomous car.

#8 ·
CarPlay would be nice but I didn't buy my outback for the infotainment. I mean it was a factor in the decision and it would be nice if it was better but what we have is above average I would say. I can stream Spotify via Bluetooth and use the steering wheel buttons for track seek so I'm mostly satisfied.

Op has a few points but the rant gets a bit excessive.

#13 ·
It's almost as if they don't understand that the average Subaru owner is tech savvy and wants this as part of our car! Rather than sending out more surveys about my "lifestyle" and what I want in the car, READ what we have been sending in... Oh yeah, the remote started sucks too. No other car I am aware of shuts off when you open the door...
Average owner is tech savvy ... Sorry, I'll just chuckle over here in the corner at that comment. SOME owners are tech savvy. MOST owners don't give a darn about all the tech. Does the radio come on when you push the button? Yay, they're happy. Does it play a CD when you put one in? Wow, that's great! What's this whole bluetooth and streaming music stuff, they still have flip phones ...

And the remote start is supposed to shut the car off when you open the door as a safety feature, as well as locking the doors when you start it that way and not working at all when the hood is open. Or would you prefer to use remote start when it's cold, only to come out 10 minutes later to find some broken glass on the ground and a hole where you car WAS parked because someone just broke the window out and stole it?

#15 ·
I'm not sure how not liking the radio translates to Subaru not caring about owners. There simply is no direct connection.

In my experience, Subaru cares a great deal about customers and is one of the fastest growing auto manufacturers because of this. Now, appealing to the masses will always leave a portion of individuals wanting. There are things I'd like to see like diesel engines, manual transmissions on the FXT and the 1.6DIT under the hood of a Crosstrek, but not having these items does not mean Subaru doesn't care about their customers.

#20 ·
Agreed, if you want a great electronic interface, don't get a Subaru. If you want a great car, get a subaru.

I'm not sure what car to get if you want a great electronic interface.

#39 ·
I'm not sure, either... But I have only ever worked in I/T and consider the Subaru just fine. Two of my colleagues (in a small company) also have a Subaru and a 3rd really wanted one. :D

I'm glad the Infotainment system seems stable, because 20K per unit HP/Dell systems aren't always!

#21 ·
I agree with the general sentiment here, don't feel like something like that would be a big loss for me. I really only use my iPod for long drives otherwise the radio suits me fine. Really my only concern when it comes the "software" part of the car is the GPS system. I only wish they would have contracted with Garmin to equip the cars with GPS but I know things are as black and white as they seem. I'm sure there is A LOT of stuff that goes on behind the scenes. In general, I think Subaru does care about what their customers have to say. In fact, I feel like of all the previous brands of car I've owned in the past, Subaru has been most attentive to customer concerns, of course, in my opinion.

#23 ·
I think full cell integration will always be a ways off. The manufactures either have built in two years before release or allow system to updated to future unknown systems.

I looked at a Vw golf wagon which has Apple play but was not as suitable for me as the outback in several key categories.

I have been able to Bluetooth attach 5 phones, Usb attach 4 phones, load music on a thumb drive, daughter tried with success using Pandora via blue and usb; loaded photos to blank screen.

Overall radio is better than my base Toyota; easier to use than my wife's 2010 bmw.

The texting integration works ok but I don't use.
The starlink app adds no value for me (I have just the basic Svc) and don't use.

Personally I think Subaru took a balance approach. You can attach your phone quite easily but not with perfection / same as phone operability.

Wmdpowell

#24 ·
I'm also a first time Subaru owner, and I share some of your frustration - but I'm still very satisfied with the car. I'd love to see carplay, I see no real need for the starlink app, and I've been continually frustrated with the wonky, buggy performance of the infotainment / navigation system. Still though, the Outback is very solid, looks great, has great utility and function and it feels very refined and upscale. For me anyway, it's the nicest car I've owned and I'm planning on trading my 2015 2.5i Limited with Navigation / EyeSight / moonroof for a 2017 3.6R Limited.

#28 ·
Subaru does NOT give a **** about what their customers think or want. IF they did, the radio would not be as bad as it is, Apple Carplay would be available, and the ridiculous Starlink app would actually work to level the rest of the car operates. I am a first time Subaru owner, and am appalled at the clunky nature of the radio, the poor design and overall function of the "apps" the say are part of the car... news flash Subaru.... you should see this thing called the iPhone! It's amazing!
I was scratching my head about this post wondering why the OP just wouldn't replace the stereo with an aftermarket Apple CarPlay interface from Pioneer or Kenwood.

But now I see the problem!

The OP bought a stereo with a protective package around it that he can sit in and move around by pressing pedals and moving a wheel back and forth...and it turns out the stereo he chose sucks!

I posted a very similar rant on a pioneer forum complaining that the stereo I bought was really crappy at getting me back and forth to work in a snowstorm.

Maybe we can help each other out with a swap!

#31 ·
Your BRAT does have Star Link, ...

just like the Garth's Pacer.

All you got to do is lay down on the hood.

#33 ·
If Subaru didn't care about it's customers, I would not have gotten free RayBan Sunglasses, a Polo Shirt, and three-year subscription to Starlink and they would not have kept in constant contact while I waited for factory delivery! It looks to me like someone was shopping for an Infotainment System instead of a really decent automobile with outstanding safety features.

I had a VW Passat SEL (top of that line) with an Infotainment System that took 25 seconds before anything worked, including the backup camera. Great fidelity and reception, but non-radio features kind of sucked. The remote start on that car ALSO shut the engine off when the door was opened. I'm guessing this is not an unusual feature and varies by manufacturer and is designed to prevent auto theft which seems to be running rampant in may areas of the country.

Six months in, I really like my 2016 Outback 3.6R and would buy it again in a heartbeat. There are a few feature shortcomings, like the lack of automatic door locks, but nothing that would dissuade me from buying it. Did I mention that I REALLY like my Outback and I like myself for buying it.

You could blow sunshine up some peoples behinds and they'd still be gloomy.

#35 ·
****. folks get pretty defensive up in here. Car Play would be great. Google maps is FREE, infinitely better than the nav garbage that currently resides in my car and updates new roads, traffic and reroutes around problems seamlessly. i get it that not everybody would appreciate this kind of functionality and quite frankly, i would prefer to live in a place where it would be useless, but i don't. so as it is, i get to control my music and navigation all on my "tiny" 6plus screen instead of the cars touchscreen all because its much, much easier and safer to do so.

#36 ·
I share some of the frustrations of the OP. Subaru listens to its customers but not as much as it should. They could do better and I expected them to do better than this.
To put this in perspective, I'm a 2nd Subaru owner. I got pretty frustrated with my OB 2005 after ~130k miles so I was looking for a new car because of poor quality of workmanship, poor audio, not too stellar mpg's. But guess what, I looked and did not find anything better and got another Subaru again. 2016 OB. Subaru is well known for poor audio and this car is no exception. I was hoping for the better but expecting it would not be the case. And it isn't. The starlink, app is a joke. Completely useless, along with MySubaru app. Yes if Subaru listened to customers more, they would fix the audio once for all going forward, it is just poor reputation and they know it. If they listen to customers, they would get rid of the ridiculous ugly dysfunctional roof rack everyone hates, and give us just plain and cheaper roof rails like Crosstrek owners get to enjoy.
And yes, it affects sales, I wanted a car with a navigation system but after I saw what a joke the Subaru's system is, I decided to downgrade and get the car without it. The same for remote starter. Will be getting an after market one. The same with the hitch... Same with the all weather mats... You get the gist here. It is affecting their bottom line. I'm not alone doing this.
So for now, my phone with Bluetooth, Spotify and Google maps will do. But guess what, I'm willing to put up with these nuances because of the performance of the car is far superior than competition for the money so I don't care much. They are not dealbreakers.
So yes, the car is good, Subaru listens some but they can do better. If they do, we will love it more, and whine less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.