What's next for outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's next for outback

I have a 2015 Subaru Outback limited 2.5 and love the car so far(first Subaru) It now has 15000 miles and avg about 24 mpg with mostly short city driving .(retired now)My last new car was a 2008 Toyota limited and loved it except gas mileage. Got great price for it on trade in which is a great perk. I owned almost all American cars and truck until that purchase mostly Ford Crown Victoria's and f150 when I average close to 30000 miles per year, all of my fords were great cars/ trucks with zero problem except MPG. I am now sold on Subaru with good gas mileage and great car for snow.(last year I drove this car in close to a foot of snow with fantastic ability as close to the F150 in a car you can get) the question is I am already looking forward to the next buy. When do you think we will see a new outback model? I hate to buy the first year on a roll out, but thinking it will be 2018 which would be me looking for a 2019 model. What changes do you see? Motor, transmission, styling . I know the nice thing is mine will be under 50000 miles when they come out so looking forward to decent trade in value which to me is very important and even more now that I'm retired. I know it's a long way off but love to here what we might get and what we all want .

Evopete likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
2020 will likely be the 6th generation. although I'd expect a mid run facelift in 2018.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 162,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 112,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect via Project Retrograde.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Garage
More luxury features and improved eyesight will be my guess. Outback has been positioned to capture luxury buyers who for whatever reason want a good reliable vehicle at 60% of the price but provides 90% of the equivalent luxury car they are cross shopping.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 AM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
2020 will likely be the 6th generation. although I'd expect a mid run facelift in 2018.
Agreed. So far they have a perfect record of making major upgrades + all new sheet metal every 5th year, with minor-to-moderate changes within the same metal at the 3rd year after each body introduction.

They're savvy about this- the last two model years of each generation typically enjoy a number of desirable tweaks and exclusive features to keep people from waiting for the next new generation. It helps to normalize the sales numbers across the last-of-the-old and first-of-the-new.

Best example I can point to is the Special Appearance Package on 2013 & 2014 Outbacks. Saddle brown leather memory seats and other goodies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Performance Valve Body

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for input. I am thinking maybe 2019 due to the technology that is coming out so fast. Just don't know if the 5th Gen can hold on for five years. Don't get me wrong love my 2015 but in the past two years a lot of new player out there knocking on the door. I guess time will tell .
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
Not likely, unless SOA decides to change the model runs they have had since 1995.
rockthebeef and Carl Abrams like this.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 162,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 112,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect via Project Retrograde.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Car: Future Outback, 2013 Impreza Sport Prem, Toyota Tundra, Volvo XC90
Interesting tidbit/rumor I just saw on the NASIOC News & Rumor forum regarding engines.

"The H6 engine will be phased out quickly across all Subarus. The Outback and Legacy will soon get the 2.0 DIT to replace the 3.6R trim lines very soon (probably midcycle refresh)."

I have an Impreza and thinking of moving up to an Outback.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Limited Forester (3rd Subie)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvray View Post
Interesting tidbit/rumor I just saw on the NASIOC News & Rumor forum regarding engines.

"The H6 engine will be phased out quickly across all Subarus. The Outback and Legacy will soon get the 2.0 DIT to replace the 3.6R trim lines very soon (probably midcycle refresh)."

I have an Impreza and thinking of moving up to an Outback.
Rumor only ...

While I suspect there will be an update to the H6 engine, since we're going to have a 7 passenger car soon, I don't think you're going to see the 3.6R go away BECAUSE we'll need something that big for the 7 passenger car...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
I am thinking they may make a new engine: FA25 turbo. with start stop tech, a hybrid battery that can run the car up to 25mph, and it will run with computer based valves that can automatically sense any combination of the following: gasoline, diesel, alcohol, D5, class A jet fuel,

or guzzeline as used in the snore-fest that was Fury Road,

...or recycled beer.
______

this will be on a version 2 of the global platform that is the 2017 impreza, and the coming Tribeca,
Tribeca will be a screwy test bed for the outbacks and legacy will debut in 2020.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 PM

Car: Future Outback, 2013 Impreza Sport Prem, Toyota Tundra, Volvo XC90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Abrams View Post
Rumor only ...

While I suspect there will be an update to the H6 engine, since we're going to have a 7 passenger car soon, I don't think you're going to see the 3.6R go away BECAUSE we'll need something that big for the 7 passenger car...
Actually, something that big, cylinder wise, is not needed.
For example, Volvo has gone to almost all 2.0 L 4 cylinder turbocharged engines across the model line-up, and it's the only engine choice (excluding hybrid) for the new XC90 which is 4,500 pounds. There are a few 5 cylinder choices remaining for a few other models.
Ford has also gone that route with the Ecoboost engines.

A 2.0 L 4 cyl direct injection turbo will have plenty of power for a Tribeca replacement with improved mpg and meet increasingly stringent air regs.

Not a fanboi, just watching the evolution of engine technology.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: