Subaru Outback Forums banner

Milestone day for me.

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  johnre 
#1 ·
I hit 400,000 miles on my 02 Outback yesterday.

Its been a long road.

I think its time for another car.

Was thinking of getting another Subaru in the 01 to 04 generation with somewhere between 80k and 150k on it.

Also thinking about a new one but they are ugly and seem light and poorly built all in the name of slightly better gas mileage.

I was wondering what people think of the newer models of Outback between 2010 and now?

Please comment only if you are familiar with the 01-04 and 05-09 generations of Outback as a comparison.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well done.

Mechanically, I love the principles of the 5th Gen. But I want a wagon, and to me the 2010+ are cross overs.

My ideal vehicle would be a 05-09 with the H6 engine. 3.0 plus 5EAT = happy times.

#5 · (Edited)
Totally agree have had an 01 2.5 with manual dual range trans, great car but updated it with an 06 JDM 3.0R face lift SI Drive etc

Last of that successful wagon based platform spanning 20 years (based on the legacy wagon platform) from 89 til 09

i.e. Until 4th / 5th gen crossover fuglyness similar to everything else, a disappointing departure from the successful car - wagon platform of 1st 2nd 3rd gen. models

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Reactions: traildogck
#3 ·
I own both a 2000 Limited (222K miles) and 2008 LL Bean (90K miles) and love both of them. I like the 2008 because it has the 3.0R with the 5 speed automatic AWDFTW mentioned above. I did a lot of research before buying the 2008. I test drove the 2010-2014 generation and did not like it. It was too tall and awkward for me. The third generation has everything I like about the 2nd plus a more reliable engine, transmission, and nicer trim. I suggest you test drive a few 3rd gen before you make up your mind.

#7 ·
She is on her second engine. first one went at 347,500. Hole #3 would not compress for fire. Second engine supposedly had 100k on it when it went in 25 months ago. Got her in and new front struts and break lines for $3000. Still a darn good deal for 52,600 miles even if she were to throw a rod today, but she still runs good on highway. Burns a lot of oil and plays jingle bells with the valves on hills sometimes. I burn oil out the tail and a slow leak out the rear of the engine. Main seal area. The after market 3 play head gaskets that went in on the second engine are still dry. So are the Valve cover gaskets.
Bearings don't sound good when she starts. Oil lamp comes on at a stand still, below 800 RPM, after she warms up.

She is now in Hospice.

Switched from 5W-30 to 10W-40. Seems to prolong the agony a bit.

Does anybody think I could go heavier on the oil?

Thanks for the comments on the different generations. Very interesting comments which feel familiar.

By the way. Thanks to this website, I have been doing lots of work on my RU now to keep it going. Changing Breaks, Axles, Radiator, Fuel Pump. I suppose it will be the same cup of tea on the 05 to 09 models?

#8 ·
Does anybody think I could go heavier on the oil?

Changing Breaks, Axles, Radiator, Fuel Pump. I suppose it will be the same cup of tea on the 05 to 09 models?
I think you could, but I honestly don't think 20W-50 will help anything other than the light not blinking quite as much. The engine is run-in well enough that even at low pressure it's getting enough. And pressure seems to be coming right up with RPM, when it counts. I don't think you'll burn any less of it, but worth an experiment.

Myself I think the 2005-2009 is the ultimate evolution of the classic Outback, before they jumped the shark and became a CRV-alike. Before anyone launches into a defensive tirade, I recognize that the 2010 and later Outbacks are excellent cars and have been a major sales success. But they're also not really compact wagons anymore, and that matters for some.

I went from a 1998 to a 2006, skipped the 2nd generation altogether. I think you'll find that the '05-'09 is made of mostly the same stuff as your 2002. Many of the mechanical parts are exactly the same, carried over. Some are only tweaked a little. Underhood electrical & engine management technology were the biggest hidden changes. Cabin materials and interior design improved a lot, though the interior dimensions are nearly identical. Body stiffness went up and chassis weight went down- both good things.

The 2.5L performance didn't change much, though it got a minor power tweak from 2006-up with the variable valve system.

The 3.0L engine 05-09 got a major power boost from a similar variable valve system. Between that and the new 5-speed automatic offered in those years it's a whole new animal- leaps and bounds more fun to drive than the previous model.

My 1998 was in pretty good health when I retired it. I decided to move on because I wanted more modern safety equipment. More metal, more airbags, more engineering into it etc. I didn't feel like the 2000-2004 models offered enough of an improvement given the cost difference, so I leapfrogged them.

Hope this helps. Congrats on your 400k and best of luck finding a new one!

#9 ·
Congrats, that's huge!

I'm also partial late 2000s H6 cars. I'd love to have a Legacy 3.0R sedan to DD someday. Our 2009 3.0R Outback has been an absolute joy for the whole family, it was well worth the wait and the leg work to obtain it. As others have mentioned, it's a definite high water mark for the story of the Outback.

We've both taken a shine to the '15+ models though. We test drove a 2011 or 2012 3.6R and there were notable differences that were very offputting for my wife and I. I've been wanting to experience the 6 with the CVT though, and I've tracked down a used '15 3.6R Limited in the city I'm working in right now. Hoping to get behind the wheel next week some time.

#11 ·
I've owned a 1999 Outback, a 2006 Outback and now a 2015 Outback. I do not think the 2015 drives like a CUV at all, but just like the others

Here are side by side size comparison's between the 2000 Outback and the 2015 Outback that I got at Edmunds.com. When you compare the spec's, are they really that much bigger now? Of the 4 inches in height difference, 1.5 inches is in ground clearance.

Attachments

#14 ·
I do not think the 2015 drives like a CUV at all, but just like the others
I'm with you. I am not sure why some OB owners think the 4th & 5th generations are CUV's instead of wagons. I consider mine to be a wagon.

I thought a CUV was a vehicle with an SUV appearance built on a regular auto chassis. An OB does not look like an SUV to me.

#16 ·
.....Was thinking of getting another Subaru in the 01 to 04 generation with somewhere between 80k and 150k on it.

Also thinking about a new one but they are ugly and seem light and poorly built all in the name of slightly better gas mileage.

I was wondering what people think of the newer models of Outback between 2010 and now?
With 400k on one model, you obviously know how to do preventative maintenance, and I prostate myself at your feet in admiration!

And you are willing to consider the risk / reward of a used vehicle.

And you keep a vehicle until it's expended it's economic life, not trading up every few years.

So the real question is, if you can pick up something at 100k in good shape and considerable discount, perhaps 60-70% off, and take it to 400k again, is that better than buying new and taking it to 400k?

Aside from the risk element of surprises from what you may pick up used - and that can be mitigated with a pre-purchase inspection, of course - most of the life of this vehicle will be "used" anyway. So you ought to buy used, do an inspection, and select a model that you like. You'll be holding on to it for quite a while.

And my take on what I think you will most like, given where you are coming from:

(1) Gen 3, 2008-2009
(2) Gen 3, 2005-2007
(3) Gen 2, 2000-2004

#17 ·
Thanks Johnre

I drove a 2008 2.5i Blue Pearl 4speed automatic basic with 69500 on it and a asking price of $14000? Would never offer more then 10k or pay more then 10.5k for it, but I did like the car. Seemed to have very rusty tail pipes leading to mufflers, but I think I can replace that with new myself.

One thing I did like about the engine compartment was that it seemed to have more space then the Gen 2 cars. Things seemed a little easier to get at.

Engine sounded very good. Although I listen to jingle bells every time I start my car these days so anything sounds good to that.

One of the things about my car that did get under my skin was the P420 code. Carried that with me ever since the first Head Gasket change on the car at 97,000 miles. I think most of it was caused by BS in the system rather then by reality. Connecticut state emissions probe would agree with me so I don't give a toot about any on this web site who don't. Regardless, in the early stages of my car that code cost me $900 dollars that I did not have to spend. Over time I have learned how to get these cars around that issue. Not certain I can do it on the Gen 3 cars.

So this raises the question ... do the Gen 3 cars 2005 -2009 cars suffer from the same P420 issues that the Gen 2 cars do?

#18 ·
I've never gotten P0420, or for that matter any other code besides one that came about because of a broken sensor on my recent HG work - and the shop that did that work quickly remedied that problem.

Looks like you've already gotten the question answered here, though:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/345857-p420-code-gen-3-outbacks.html

Regarding the 2008 2.5i you drove, that's way too high on pricing, regardless of the miles. It will need a timing belt just about now (remember - 104k miles or 104 months, whichever comes first), and it might also need HG work. There's nothing the matter if these haven't been done and it's needed, mind you, just factor this into the price you offer.

#19 ·
Johnre

Is that your cat driving your car?

Took my girlfriends Devon Rex for a drive on Saturday. Man did he love the RU. Thought he was the cats meow!

Its taken me a while ( I am slow learner, but a good one ) to learn that the check engine light is actually designed more so to help the dealer make money then help the owner fix the cars problems.

Definitely agree about the price of that car. No doubt. What would you offer?

#20 ·
Is that your cat driving your car?
He thinks he is. Note the firmness of my grip on the wheel, though.

Definitely agree about the price of that car. No doubt. What would you offer?
Here in Portland, plain jane OB 2.5i's in this mileage range go for 10k-14k asking, at dealers. I suspect they are dumped because of HG issues, but can't know that, of course. And even if a HG repair appears on a carfax report, you won't know for sure if it's gotten the right set of replacement gaskets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.