Subaru Outback Forums banner

Subaru XV

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rasterman 
#1 ·
Hey, all

Thinking about geting a 2011 or 2012 OB Lim. , but then saw the Subaru XV. I hear its coming out 2012? Anyone have any info on it spec. wise.

#2 ·
#9 ·
LOL! What a farce!

"A Subaru Outback has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, but a Jeep Wrangler Sport has 8.8 inches, so the XV might be the choice for off-road duties."

USA Today hits another low. What a waste of time and effort. The writer should go back to doing restaurant reviews.

John Davies
Spokane WA

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure I saw an XV cruising I-93 near Boston last month, I drove along with it for a mile or so to get a good look. Green & gray 2-tone, with those wheels. Sadly I was driving alone, so no pictures. I assume it was some kind of test car, as it's the only one I've ever seen.

I really liked the look of it.

OK OK, I know... it's a Subaru, not supposed to care about the looks. I think the XV carries forward most of the good bits of design that were employed on the BP (3rd gen) outbacks.

If a performance variant showed up I'd be all over it. Heck maybe even without, just wait for one to age a bit and try an sti swap... XVX anyone?

#6 ·
The XV seems to be a spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB...extremely similar in footprint, just with a foot chopped off from the cargo area and more fuel efficient.

#7 ·
The XV seems to be a spiritual successor to the Gen 3 OB...
Ha, I just posted almost the same statement in another XV thread. I really think the 4th gen Outback was actually a stealth-launched Tribeca replacement, borrowing a popular name to ensure launch success. Not unlike the way the Ford 500 got a re-design and name swap to become what is now the Taurus.

In terms of size & styling, the 4G Outback seems to have a lot more in common with the face-lifted Tribeca than the 3G Outback.

The only thing that bugs me about the XV style is they gave up the wraparound glass on the rear. I've long thought that was one of the nicest "Subaru signature" style elements, tracing its roots back to the '85 XT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.