Replacing Battery and Memory Keeper - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 Suburu Outback PZEV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing Battery and Memory Keeper

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and I was hoping you can me help with my questions.

As per my profile I owned a 2010 Outback 2.5L (PZEV- Partially Zero Emission Vehicule).

My apology in advance if this question was asked and answered, but I didn't find it per my searches.

I want to replace the original 6 yo battery after 110K. I'm now getting a 10.25 volts reading (cold) and it still started this morning even in the cooler weather. I cannot leave anything on (by mistake) as up to now I got caught twice and needing a jump start.

I'm worried that when I replace the battery, that I may have problems with various things that needs resetting and that the car won't start anymore....

I did find a PDF file for "Actions to take after removing battery or disconnecting ground terminal" it was for a 2015. Also to mention that my Owner's Manual does mentioned anything about a Battery Replacement.

Q1: Not sure the PDF applies to my car, but as I mentioned before is there anything else that can happen for the car not to start anymore ??

Q2: I was thinking of buying a Memory Keeper that you insert the 12V Cigarette Lighter outlet but the 12V outlet requires the Ignition Switch to be in either the "ACC" or "ON" position.

As I still have an above 12 Volt charge in the battery can I remove/disconnect the car battery while the Ignition Switch is on "ACC" or "ON" ?? Isn't it dangerous ??

Any help would be greatly appreciate, thank you...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mentioned that I have a third party Remote Starter with Alarm. Thanks.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
I've got a 2012 and so so far it seems like nothing has really helped in "saving" memories for me. The shop that replaced my battery had a thing they plugged in but it still dumped memory (tho it was replacing a defective battery so idk). I've also done work requiring disconnecting my battery at home.

Quick rundown:
-First start after re-connecting the battery it may crank but not "start". Give it a moment (say 5 seconds) for the computer to "boot up" and cycle the key off before you try again. Not significant issue, it should start and run fine after 2 tries or so (or maybe I just turn the key too fast).
-Clock time will need re-setting
-Radio presets get reset to defaults
-Driver's automatic window requires re-programming (this should be in the owner manual about "window learning" or something). After you manually run the window down/up fully a couple times it will function normally again.
-If you have to pass a state inspection you'll lose the "drive cycle" information and probably fail until it has to re-learn stuff. Usually takes 1-2 drives where you start from a cold engine and get up to highway speed and normal operating temp for the computer to re-learn it. Shouldn't impact you unless it's the day before you go in for inspection.
-The display for MPG / Fuel-Remain resets to whatever it's default display readout is so you may have to toggle thru (I prefer having it show avg mpg).

I would say the most painful part is re-programming radio presets and that is just because you have to remember what they are. Everything else shakes out with normal driving.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic1 View Post
I forgot to mentioned that I have a third party Remote Starter with Alarm. Thanks.
3rd party remote start may change things. That you'd need to find it's manual.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks "millermail" for all of the info. Reassuring...

I have bought my new battery, yesterday, and I will do the replacement either Saturday or Sunday.

I will update the post accordingly after. Appreciated.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
It's fairly easy to do, but takes a little knowledge of electricity and some tools. Years ago I make a little 12v / 1 amp power supply for this and other tasks. Attached to the alternator terminal along with a voltmeter to monitor activity, it keeps everything under power when you remove/replace the battery. Picture from last weekend.....

Oh, and consider upsizing your battery. A Group 24 fits well and is roughly the same physical size as the Group 25 with it's plastic cozy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170102_133059.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	322641  

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
I bought a ODB-II to 12v memory saver. Kept all my radio presets and window settings intact while I swapped out my OEM battery.

You will need a separate 12v power supply to plug into. I used my Stanley Jumpit 500amp jump starter pack for this purpose.

The other end of the cable plugs into your ODB-II diagnostic port.

$14 at Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-ESA30-M...2+memory+saver
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Car: 2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
When I swapped in my new RedTop battery in my '12 OB Premium, IIRC I used a simple cheap lighter plug in that utilized a 9V battery. Got from Amazon under $10. Worked like a charm.
mowcowbell likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM

Car: 2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcowbell View Post
I bought a ODB-II to 12v memory saver. Kept all my radio presets and window settings intact while I swapped out my OEM battery.

You will need a separate 12v power supply to plug into. I used my Stanley Jumpit 500amp jump starter pack for this purpose.

The other end of the cable plugs into your ODB-II diagnostic port.

$14 at Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-ESA30-M...2+memory+saver
An OBD II style memory saver is what I was going to recommend also. But as mowcowbell points out, you will need a jump starter. If you have one of the newer jump starters with the EC5 connector, you would also need this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXIKTJG?psc=1

Or you could just get this.

https://www.amazon.com/CEpower-Vehic...d+memory+saver

This one has a 3 meter cord, so it could be possible to use another car's cigarette lighter as the power source if it was parked close enough.

As has been pointed out before, the cigarette lighter outlet is switched on most Subaru cars. That means you would have to leave the ignition on while changing the battery, for that style of memory keeper to work. That would not be the best situation. This is why the OBD II style memory saver is preferred. Much better choice.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Car: 2016 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Twilight Blue Metallic, Black Interior
Quote:
As I still have an above 12 Volt charge in the battery can I remove/disconnect the car battery while the Ignition Switch is on "ACC" or "ON" ?? Isn't it dangerous ??
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, having to ask this question indicates you should at least have a knowledgeable friend around when you attempt to change the battery. What makes you think it's more dangerous than the danger already present messing around with a concentrated source of energy like a battery? The additional current draw of a few accessories and lights or the fuel pump?

As others have stated, an OBDII saver is probably a better bet than a lighter-based one. I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when I swapped mine. Interestingly, it saved my radio presets but I had to reset my window switches. And my tailgate, but I did the swap with the back hatch open, so my fault there.

To your other question:
Quote:
Not sure the PDF applies to my car, but as I mentioned before is there anything else that can happen for the car not to start anymore ??
No. Complete loss of power is such a common occurrence, all cars are designed to handle this fine. Worst case, the engine computer resorts to a default program until the sensor data is rewritten. It might take a few minutes to return to a smooth idle, but it should start and drive perfectly fine.

jhodges likes this.

Mods:
  • Curt 2" Receiver Hitch
  • Precision LED Premium Interior upgrade (red map lights)
  • Philips X-tremeVision +100% low-beam, Philips 9011 hi-beam, Philips 921 LED back-up lights
  • Method Racing Wheels MR501 Rally (Tiitanium) w/ Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 P225/65R17
  • Optima Yellow Top Group 34 battery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: