87 Octane? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 87 Octane?

Guys,

All my previous cars have taken the high grade 93 octane gas. I understand that Subaru has designed engines forever to run on 87 octane gas.

I am looking forward to this $.25 +/- per gallon when my new 2.5 Outback comes in.

BUT I have a friend that says to put in the 93 octane no mater what the manual says and the engine will last longer and the car will run better.

Any truth to this???? Or does everyone here get along just fine with the low-grade 87 octane gas???

Thanks,

Flagg
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

No truth at all.

Only reason for premium is if the car requires it (like the turbo models or older 3.0 engine) or if the car is pinging/knocking. The 2.5 will do just fine on the 87 it is designed for.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Forester XT touring

butt dyno
Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited and 2011 Legacy 2.5 PZEV

I run 89 octane in my 3.6. The first few weeks I was putting 93 in it out of habit and owning a SAAB 9-3T and talk about blowing money out the tail pipe....I have also run 87 and it runs alittle smoother.....
jeanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
BUT I have a friend that says to put in the 93 octane no mater what the manual says and the engine will last longer and the car will run better.
The only thing that will last longer and run better is the oil company fat cat retirement accounts. Save your money, buy 87.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Car: 2011 Outback, 3.6R Premium

From day one I've used C****o 87 (except one tank at Freddie Meyer, and it was 87 octane), have had no performance problems. One of the reasons I waited until now to even get an OB was the premium gas requirement.
Subyblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: '13 Crosstrek
Send a message via AIM to Brucey

Mine has always had stale, lawnmower grade, gas in it too. Lately I've been filling up with a major discount from Kroger and keeping extra cans around since the limit is 20 gallons for the discount and the car usually takes about 15.
Brucey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver

What I don't get is my last car (toyota sienna) only required 87 octane but the manual clearly stated that if you were going to do some towing or heavy hauling that they then recommended premium fuel. So that engine at least must have had some ability to advance the timing or some such shyte to say that wouldn't it???
Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

ALL engines have the ability to adjust timing. Running 87 in a modern turbo will just cause it to delay timing and drop boost, causing poor performance.

As mentioned the octane rating is based on the AKI (anti knock index) for a high compression engine (turbo, high performance) if you use too low octane the fuel can predontanate under compression before the spark is introduced, causing pinging or knocking. That is why higher octane is required.

If the manufacturer designed the engine to run on 87 (as MOST do) then higher octane could actually degrade performance, and it certainly won't help it.

The manufacturers tend to know what they are talking about when they suggest a fuel to use, after all what do they care what you use, they are going to suggest whatever makes their vehicles perform and last best.

You're friend probably also thinks his CAI adds 25hp and his Exhause increased power by 50%
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4Legacy View Post
ALL engines have the ability to adjust timing. Running 87 in a modern turbo will just cause it to delay timing and drop boost, causing poor performance.

As mentioned the octane rating is based on the AKI (anti knock index) for a high compression engine (turbo, high performance) if you use too low octane the fuel can predontanate under compression before the spark is introduced, causing pinging or knocking. That is why higher octane is required.

If the manufacturer designed the engine to run on 87 (as MOST do) then higher octane could actually degrade performance, and it certainly won't help it.

The manufacturers tend to know what they are talking about when they suggest a fuel to use, after all what do they care what you use, they are going to suggest whatever makes their vehicles perform and last best.

You're friend probably also thinks his CAI adds 25hp and his Exhause increased power by 50%
so apparently the engine in my last car was designed to run on high octane but they rated it for 87 knowing the engine would detune itself?
IF they state in the manual to run on high octane for towing that must mean the engine was designed to take advantage of that correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: