No more head gaskets?? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Car: '15 Wilderness Green Outback 3.6r LTD with EyeSight, '16 Dark Gray Forester LTD with EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No more head gaskets??

I was reading this in the March '17 Car & Driver when I noticed it's something Subaru is working on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans HG.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	599.7 KB
ID:	330425  
bob.oconnor.5030 likes this.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

Last edited by eagleeye; 02-11-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: reloaded that attachment as a pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Car: 2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
That sounds so cool! I love the engineering concept. It would be interesting to know how far along they may be in testing and trials.

It doesn't sound like it's anything that will be seen any time soon by the consumer, though. I got the impression that this is first headed for the racing market. And it has to have a premium cost. Something that may not be worth it to the average consumer that may only need to deal with a blown head gasket after years of driving, if ever, where a race car driver may be worried about it every time he is out on the track.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Car: Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
Garage
That's a full race engine based on the semi closed deck STI 2.0. The passenger engines in all other current North American Subarus are quite different and I don't think this could work.

My other Subarus are Subarus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You'll have to pry my frameless windows from my cold dead hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
That's a full race engine based on the semi closed deck STI 2.0. The passenger engines in all other current North American Subarus are quite different and I don't think this could work.
I think it is very possible. Just pull apart any old VW beetle engine and voila, no head gaskets.
scoobydoo2 and rasterman like this.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
2015 Twlight Blue OB Premium
1976 Camaro, 355ci/425hp 4speed(sold)
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV
...having lost a HG on our OB and knowing that Subaru is infamous for HG failures, this could be what they need.

I used to drive the old school beetles...had three during my college and university years. Never had a head problem but the oil cooler sat over...I believe...cylinder #3 and as a result of that extra heat they were prone to drop the spark plug into the cylinder...not fun on a busy highway...

You can't buy happiness but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.

The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 AM

Car: 08 Outback LL Bean 2.5- 00 Outback Ltd.- 98 Outback
Copper o-rings are not new. They've been used in high output engines for years.

'08 OB LL Bean 2.5
'04 Foz XS
'00 OBW LTD
'98 OB

Driving with no eyesight system. Not dead yet!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Car: '15 Wilderness Green Outback 3.6r LTD with EyeSight, '16 Dark Gray Forester LTD with EyeSight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
Copper o-rings are not new. They've been used in high output engines for years.
You're right, o-rings are not new but, it's not the o-rings that the story is about, it's the valves that release too much compression.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Car: Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dug View Post
I think it is very possible. Just pull apart any old VW beetle engine and voila, no head gaskets.
Lolz

My other Subarus are Subarus.

You'll have to pry my frameless windows from my cold dead hands.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Car: 2008 Outback Base
I believe Subaru eliminated the head gasket problem on the FB engines by removing coolant passages that required coolant to flow directly between the block and the head. Electrolysis slowly ate away at the gasket and caused the failures. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Car: 08 Outback LL Bean 2.5- 00 Outback Ltd.- 98 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbag View Post
You're right, o-rings are not new but, it's not the o-rings that the story is about, it's the valves that release too much compression.
I wonder how many miles before the sensors get "carboned up"?

Seems like a silly set up.

How about instead of a overly complicated electronic set up, they just machine the surfaces to a better finish, add MLS HG's and install head studs. Problem solved.

'08 OB LL Bean 2.5
'04 Foz XS
'00 OBW LTD
'98 OB

Driving with no eyesight system. Not dead yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: