How long do Outbacks last? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Car: don't have a Subie yet, but planning on it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long do Outbacks last?

I am very interested in buying a Subaru Outback, but I cannot afford a brand new one. I don't like how the 2000 and newer models look, that and the fact they too are too expensive. I like the 95-99 version, but the ones I have been seeing are rather high in miles, but they fit my price range. I am curious to know how long Outbacks have been known to last before things start breaking down? I have been finding cars around the 80,000 mile range and I am not sure if that is too high or not so bad. I know that if it were a Volvo, the car would just be getting broken in, but I don't know how that translates to a Subaru. I am looking for it to last at least 5 years when I hope to finally be able to get a brand new one, but I need to know if I get one of these higher milage Outbacks I am not wasting my money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 PM

Car: 2004 Baja Turbo
I work on Volvos and at 80,000 there breaking down.I would get an Outback,better quality well built.But thats just me.

Got Boost?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:36 PM

Car: Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Send a message via Yahoo to Jondalar
I haven't had the experience with high mileage Subaru (or Volvo for that matter) but I can say that the only car I've owned that was still driving almost like new with 80,000+ miles on it was a BMW 540i but even that was headed for some fairly expensive repairs to the suspension. I think apart from the cylinder head issue the Subaru has a great reputation for reliability. My brother in law had one of the 1976 or so 4WD wagons and drove it over rough roads for years & many 1000's of miles with very little problem.

Loving Turbo Diesel power

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:55 PM
OBS Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to BlueRidge
I have Legacy L Wagon in addition to what is pictured to the left

<-----------------------------

It is the 2.2L Auto Transmission, but the same chassis/platform as the Outback. It is a '99 with 102,000 on it. The only major problem I have had is the AC compressor went bad and was easily replaced with a rebuilt one.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 02:16 AM
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: MY10 Outback CVT
Garage
From what I've seen, Subarus are highly reliable even with 300k+ miles or so. Many, many high mileage 1st Gen Outbacks (95-99) I've seen are still bullet proof. I know and know of many people with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on their Outbacks and don't have any major mechanical problems. The only things you'll have to worry about is if you have an automatic transmission, not in all cases but just know that Subaru doesn't have the best auto trannies. There not that bad, but if you can drive a manual transmission that is definately the choice you should make.

Check this out: Subaru High Mileage Club
Look around there and see what you can find, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed

Also check around eBay to see if they have any Outbacks that have been on the longer haul.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 02:49 AM

Car: MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
There's a 2001 H6 Outback currently advertised over at carsales.com.au with 207,000km on the odo (in 3 years). There are also several people in aussie Subaru sites with over 450,000km + on their original engines.

Subarus are very reliable in maintained properly.

1999 Subaru Outback GX
2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
My 98 has 82Kmi, and apart from a failed head gasekt, the reliability has been fairly good. It's due for new struts, which I think is reasonable for that mileage. No troubles with the clutch or transmission, normal wear on the brakes. No rust troubles yet.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Can someone then tell me what are the maintaince items for a 1997 Outback at between 80,000 miles and 90,000 miles? This way I know what to check on the car I am currently looking at.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

BTW, I do have a Volvo right now. 1987 240DL with 215k. It's only just started breaking down.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:53 AM

Car: '04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
As far as Outbacks go, my '96 Legacy OB w/2.5L dohc is notorious for having bad crankshaft oil seals, besides that, we drove 102k miles before trading to the '02 OB.

stock '04 Colorado
former owner of an '02 OB
'90 5spd Legacy (thinks he's a WRC) sedan w/ shiny alum. brackets pulley, and muggified.

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: