Am I on the right track with an Outback? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Am I on the right track with an Outback?

Hi,
I'm looking to buy my first Subaru outback vehicle. After doing a bit of research it seems like the car for me. Just looking for a bit of general advice or anything I should be aware of when looking at second hand cars.

After getting hooked on droning and making videos of nature, I need something that will withstand a few bumps and dirt roads, or that lets me sleep in the back and slide open the sunroof to view the twinkling night stars.

Was looking to get;
the 2005+ or a newer model, H6, Sunroof.

I read that the ground clearance height on the Outbacks from 2005 was increased, which sounds good for some of these rough rural roads.

And I also read that the Forester has better ground clearance than the Outback. So now I'm wondering whether its better to get the Forester for this increased clearance?
"That’s because the Forester has a little bit of extra clearance"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Legacy, Forester, XV Crosstrek, Hybrid, WRX, STI, Impreza, BRZ, Tribeca to compare specs of any year/model

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 161,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 110,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Car: 2014 Outback 3.6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to buy my first Subaru outback vehicle. After doing a bit of research it seems like the car for me. Just looking for a bit of general advice or anything I should be aware of when looking at second hand cars.

After getting hooked on droning and making videos of nature, I need something that will withstand a few bumps and dirt roads, or that lets me sleep in the back and slide open the sunroof to view the twinkling night stars.

Was looking to get;
the 2005+ or a newer model, H6, Sunroof.

I read that the ground clearance height on the Outbacks from 2005 was increased, which sounds good for some of these rough rural roads.

And I also read that the Forester has better ground clearance than the Outback. So now I'm wondering whether its better to get the Forester for this increased clearance?
"That’s because the Forester has a little bit of extra clearance"
Have it inspected by a mechanic that knows Subaru unless you are comfortable inspecting yourself.

Drive a few different years even the easy to find 4/2.5 to get the feel for what you like: the difference in handling between years is more that with most make/models.

Be willing to travel 3.6 is uncommon I had to drive about 100 miles to get the right one for me (2014 Limited 3.6R package #04)

Uncommon does NOT mean that you can't get a great deal on a 3.6. Mine was sitting on dealers lot's for months and it's super clean/low miles. I believe the lower MPG worries some buyers. I get 24MPG consistent and better than that on the highway doing 75mph with winter blend fuel.

Welcome and let us know what you get!

Last edited by slagmi; 02-16-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: welcome

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
Foresters: sit in one, drive one for a hour. ....you might love it, or might hate it a whole lot. (I have yet to sit in a Forester that I liked)

no H6 power in those, just turbos, and plain ones. (and turbos like to crap out if not maintained, ... some used examples known to die expensively soon after the buy)

what it has over the outback: better approach and departure angles,...however a outback has more usable space with its bigger load floor.

_______

If you are driving a outback over rough country,...and wish it were a little bit higher, 2" lifts happen often and are well documented....either that or bust out a tractor and fix the road in the worst places. (I have traveled such places with a pick, shovel, and a chainsaw,...no lift over the factory 8")

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5
I don't know if a Forester has enough rear room for one to sleep in the back but the Outback certainly does. I car camp in mine several times a year very comfortably. I've found it's the perfect vehicle for my kayaking/biking/hiking outdoor adventures.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bennett View Post
I don't know if a Forester has enough rear room for one to sleep in the back but the Outback certainly does. I car camp in mine several times a year very comfortably. I've found it's the perfect vehicle for my kayaking/biking/hiking outdoor adventures.
17 Forester has 60" if front seats not moved, 70" if F seats moved forward. But moving seats leaves a gap, not sure how you would bridge that to sleep.

A Subie dealer salesmen in the PNW does incredible research and posts his data here and it was this site that convinced me look at and buy the '17 OB as replacement for my '11 Forester.

2017 Subaru Forester research webpage

Lives on Long Island, NY
Works in Brooklyn, NY
Avid cyclist.

Past:
'01 Forester
'03 Outback
'11 Forester

Current:
'11 Impreza Outback Sport
'17 Outback Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: