Radio reception with glass imbedded antenna - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Radio reception with glass imbedded antenna

I find the radio reception to be poor in comparison to a conventional rooftop antenna. I like the streamlined look. I used to have a New Gen Chevrolet equinox with a 12" antenna which was great and a full-length antenna mast on my jeep hood.

I know Sub has been using this for years. What do you guys find?
Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

I think the reception on my 05 Outback isn't as good as my reception on my 95 SVX with a power mast antenna. But, that car also had a better/newer radio than my 05 has (which I cannot replace because of the auto a/c).
manarius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

No problems with my 2003 with the mirror antenna.

Well, except that blown speaker I've yet to get around to replacing...

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

fairly strong signals in my area so, even the college station that seems to have a 40watt lightbulb for an antenna comes in OK most of the time.

I have heard 2 things that might relate to folks who seem to have problems;

some tint films may have enough metallic coating to interfere with good reception.

And I believe there is an amplifier/repeater in the line somewhere from the antenna - that might get compromised - or an aftermarket radio may not 'support' it with the right connection/voltage w'ever.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
No problems with my 2003 with the mirror antenna.
Well, except that blown speaker I've yet to get around to replacing...
What do you mean by mirror antenna? which mirror and models has this? I have a 2002 OBW and 2003 OB Sedan, both H6's and wondering where the antenna is, never heard mention of it in the mirror? i heard folks saying in the glass...but being wagon and sedan mine may differ too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
I find the radio reception to be poor in comparison to a conventional rooftop antenna.....What do you guys find?
my 2003 OB Sedan H6 has weak reception and there's interference such that you can't listen to the radio if you turn the rear defroster on. does yours do that as well?

i've heard of this amplifier and think maybe there's a problem there for me?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
What do you mean by mirror antenna? which mirror and models has this? I have a 2002 OBW and 2003 OB Sedan, both H6's and wondering where the antenna is, never heard mention of it in the mirror? i heard folks saying in the glass...but being wagon and sedan mine may differ too?
Hmmm, posting after hanging out with friends and festive beverages is a bad idea.

Meant the standard glass antenna.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
Hmmm, posting after hanging out with friends and festive beverages is a bad idea.

Meant the standard glass antenna.
LOL! right on
yours is a wagon? so wagons are in the glass and i forget where sedans are but mine doesn't have the lines in it?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

They are in the rear glass in a sedan. My '08 LGT had one, if you look towards the top of the glass you will see a seperate set of lines.

I never had any trouble with mine, but I primarily used XM. I also took special care to get ceramic tint to avoid interference as 1 Lucky Texan mentioned.

The OB also seems to get good reception, I believe the OB antenna is the rear side glass.

I have read of people adding an external booster to the antenna and having good success.
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

my 01 obw h6 works well in town but it really sucks on the road. i lose the signal sooner than in my 97 GT, and once lost i can't find another station. it doesn't help that the after market radio will not let me tune in a specific station. it just has seek, and if the signal is too weak it will not pick it up.

Quote:
I have read of people adding an external booster to the antenna and having good success.
what do these look like? where do i get one? is it hard to install?

i was thinking maybe something like a magnetic CB radio antenna adapted for the car radio. i could feed it out the hatch and put it on roof for trips. i don't need it around town.
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canubaru View Post
my 01 obw h6 works well in town but it really sucks on the road. i lose the signal sooner than in my 97 GT, and once lost i can't find another station. it doesn't help that the after market radio will not let me tune in a specific station. it just has seek, and if the signal is too weak it will not pick it up.

what do these look like? where do i get one? is it hard to install?

i was thinking maybe something like a magnetic CB radio antenna adapted for the car radio. i could feed it out the hatch and put it on roof for trips. i don't need it around town.
your aftermarket radio may not be powering the antenna booster. (if your car is so equipped)

depending I think on year model, pin 14 can have 2-3 functions, but one function could be powering the antenna booster. If an aftermarket unit doesn't power pin 14 on certain cars, poor reception results. Might be possible to piggyback on the 12V supply to the radio or otherwise feed the booster. I THINK (anyone???) the booster is behind the trim in the cargo area under the LS window?

Subaru Legacy / Outback / Baja radio harness pin-out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: