Forester or Outback? - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2012, Outback, 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmecheng View Post
I have a 6 month old and got a 2012 Outback. Like vr4legacy said her rear facing seat fits behind the passenger seat but we have to move it forward a bit. I am 6'4" tall and can sit in the passenger seat with this setup. Also, if you put the child seat in the middle of the rear you can move both seats almost all the way back (depending on you child seat). This is a great car for child seats, has more room for them than the Ford Edge we test drove.
I also have a baby in a rear facing seat. Even though we had to move the passenger seat up a bit there is still a ton of room. Way more than the RDX I was considering.
sleze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

vtmecheng, I agree with you on the cargo argument.

I sold my '08 Legacy GT to buy my OB. It had a full folding rear seat and I utilized it plenty, but I plan on taking many family trips and have already enjoyed the added cu. ft the wagon affords.

I also have a trailer, but I don't want to use the trailer just to haul an oversized item I could fit into a wagon.

Ground clearance and body cladding had nothing to do with my decision to get an OB, I already knew for my Legacy GT (and 2 prior imprezas) that a Subaru Sedan could handle any elements I might see, its the added space and convienence of a wagon that I wanted. I don't expect great handling from a 3000lb family wagon, but it surprises me how well it does for its size.
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmecheng View Post
I have a 6 month old and got a 2012 Outback. Like vr4legacy said her rear facing seat fits behind the passenger seat but we have to move it forward a bit. I am 6'4" tall and can sit in the passenger seat with this setup. Also, if you put the child seat in the middle of the rear you can move both seats almost all the way back (depending on you child seat). This is a great car for child seats, has more room for them than the Ford Edge we test drove.

As for Outback or Forester vs. Legacy, I am a little confused when people say the Legacy can take as much as a Forester (some even say the Outback). Looking at the Subaru website the following cubic feet of cargo are listed, all with rear seats up:

Legacy: 14.7 cu.ft.
Forester: 33.5 cu.ft
Outback: 34.3 cu.ft.

Going from 14.7 to 33.5 cu.ft. is a big jump for me and I am guessing Sue-Bob needs that to tote around kid stuff on top of survival gear. The Legacy is a great car if you don't need to carry around over 14.7 cu.ft. of stuff but it sounds like he needs more.
How the space is measured - if you measure the usable space under the privacy cover in the outback your looking at slightly less space than the legacy given the floor space for the legacy and outback are identical however the privacy cover in the outback is slightly lower than the trunk lid in the legacy. The forrester same deal. Now of your stacking stuff above the rear seats and not using the privacy cover then yes they have more capacity than the legacy. Though only time we do that with our outback is on road trips which case the stuff that goes above the seat back easily goes in the roof box in the legacy. Hence why the legacy and the outback both get packed nearly identically except for the dog.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Legacy is exactly the same car minus the OB higher price ...
Also minus the headroom: one half inch front, and two inches rear.
Two inches is a HUGE difference in rear comfort for many adults.

I drove both, and the OB is vastly superior for 4 adults -- especially
if you're traveling any distance ...even moreso with luggage for 4.
Outback entry/exit are also easier for elderly or less-than-nimble
passengers, particularly rear seat passengers.

...same thing, only different,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Dave,

having seen your user-name until I got to the bottom of your post I thought you and your wife might be required to get the forester...

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Touring

We took the Outback for a good half hour test drive one night and didn't want to bring it back. When we got back we figured we should really consider the Forester as well. I had the Forester back to the dealership in less than 5 minutes. The 4EAT was very harsh and the overall ride quality was very poor in comparison. The fit and finish of the Outback is also much higher, interior seemed to be way roomier. However, for the same price in the Forester we could have had leather and nav. and that beautiful panoramic sunroof. Don't really care though because so far, couldn't be happier with the Outback!
LondonOutty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
The basics of it - you want the new ob size and AWD etc but don't like the price and your not hauling the dog the Legacy is exactly the same car minus the OB higher price commanded by the perception that plastic bits and a couple of inches in ride height makes it a SUV.

I just love wagons that is all, my first wagon was a 92 Loyale and the Explorer in sense is a jacked up wagon. They are very versatile with what we do and where we live, a car wouldn't make sense being that we do Anchorage run and bulk up as well as we travel around the state allot.

Having the extra ground clearance is a bonus with snow, just makes more common sense.

Did I mention wagons make more sense with our life style?

She was almost set on a Dodge G/caravan and we even agreed on a 04 Superduty diesel. Both of those are nice but I like the gas mileage of the O/b and my old Sue-Bob as we called her was fantastic in all respects. We even added extra cushioning in the back under carpet so when we folded them down we could camp :-)

Edit: I didn't say I don't like the price, we have about 14k down so if we have to we can go slightly used or even wait till years end for a better deal.
Sue-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Take your car seat down and install it in the legacy go drive the legacy. Trust me its the same **** car minus some very small differences. As for the stupid comment about 4 adults in the legacy - its far superior to most of the 4dr mid size cars available I have a few miles in the back seat of ours with a car seat next to me. Other than the adjustable seat back in the outback its the same seat and is identical to the Camry which is considered the industry standard regarding a proper 4dr sedan for 4 adults LOL.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i hated the forester so much. the outback is 1000x better. the cvt is awesome. the only reason i think to get a forester over an outback is if you want power. the forester xt with an access port would be fun. but the outback is a much better car.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

oh i didn't see you had a baby, dont even consider a forester. the outback's rear doors make putting your kid in a car seat so much better. its almost minivan like. my 19 month old's car seat even swivels, i certainly wouldn't want a smaller rear door opening.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: