Building inspection pit in the garage - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Building inspection pit in the garage

Hello folks,
I'm brand new to these Subaru Outback forums, so please excuse me if I initiated this thread in the wrong place.

I'm considering building inspection / maintenance pit in my existing garage.
It has 6" concrete floor through which I intend to cut with the circular saw for masonry.
Could somebody please share his thoughts, ideas or precautions on how to build the inspection pit safely and in the most inexpensive way. Surprisingly, I could not find any information on pre-formed fiber glass pit liners in the US which would make my task much easier.

Thank you in advance for any thought or advices.
Hunny Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a stupid idea when all you need is a floor lift ie rack which simply slides in to the garage bolts down and will lift your car. Far cheaper and you don't need to explain to a home buyer why there is a huge hole in the garage floor LOL.

Super nice nice lifts can be found for $4000 - no way you can do a proper permitted pit in a non commercial home garage for that price.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback Touring Blue/Grey w:Alpine stereo,corrosion management,front/rear swaybars/endlinks(Whiteline), King Springs, KYB struts,LWT crank pulley,K&N air filter

Check your local building codes.
In Canada now, at least in BC, pits are not allowed because of gas build-up.
ported is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Sounds like an opinion from an ignoramus. How much valuable space will a floor lift take?
Do you actually have one and use it by yourself? For the price you've mentioned I can dig out a few pits along with a few graves for my enemies. What makes you to suggest that I'm going to sell the house? Even so, the properly covered underground storage space or a hide out is a plus for any property.

Last edited by Hunny Bunny; 02-15-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks God I am not in Canada. All this nonsense with gas build-up can be easily resolved with the proper ventilation.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '00 AT w/ LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny Bunny View Post
Sounds like an opinion from an ignoramus. How much valuable space will a floor lift take?
Do you actually have one and use it by yourself? For the price you've mentioned I can dig out a few pits along with a few graves for my enemies. What makes you to suggest that I'm going to sell the house? Even so, the properly covered underground storage space or a hide out is a plus for any property.
As a new member to the forum, you would be wise to avoid such a confrontational attitude. As is, this response served as a red flag that you aren't worth our time.
macogle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is at least one regular poster in here who has done some super cool subaru rebuilds and modifications that has a rack in his garage. When not in use he simply parks his cars on the rack in the garage.

Yes even in the US local codes and permits apply to a pit not to mention your home owners insurance would be very interested in knowing that you have a pit in your home's garage. You may find that an added insurance coverage is required or they will not cover your home.

You asked and you got the answers you didn't want to hear. Sorry but there is a reason why even local leo shops prefer lifts over pits.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)

My first course of action would indeed be to check the local codes and contact the builder of the house and the utilities companies to make sure there aren't any surprises when you start digging.

I assume you know already what kind of soil/rock you generally have. A problem I can see, and depending on where you live, is that you may have boulders or large concrete pieces left over from house construction that may force you to dig a much bigger hole than intended.

Dealing with ground water may be an issue. You might in fact be forced by local code to install a sump pump.

In the end, don't be surprised if you start to consider a lift instead
xvimbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macogle View Post
As a new member to the forum, you would be wise to avoid such a confrontational attitude. As is, this response served as a red flag that you aren't worth our time.
As a new member I would expect a little bit respect from good ol' guys to not to call my first posting a "stupid idea" without at least explaining why. Otherwise it's not worth my time to read such postings. Respect others and be respected!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny Bunny View Post
As a new member I would expect a little bit respect from good ol' guys to not to call my first posting a "stupid idea" without at least explaining why. Otherwise it's not worth my time to read such postings. Respect others and be respected!
Hey Hunny - just a tip with any forum you need to check your touchy feelings at the door given typed text is blunt.

$4000 for a nice lift is FAR FAR cheaper than a pit trust me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: