Three weeks in...here are my gripes - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Prem w/AWP + Moonroof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Three weeks in...here are my gripes

Hello All,

Fairly new to the blog, so if these things are posted elsewhere, please don't beat me up too badly over it.
I've had my subaru now for three weeks has just under 900 miles. So far, I'm very happy I purchased one, but there are few things that are concerning:

1. The car lurches forward under very slow speeds. I've got lots of crap in my garage, and the way my driveway is setup, i have to pull in the car at an angle and straighten out inside the garage. So, when I'm doing this, I'm driving very slow, no gas pedal just little bit of pressure off of the brake pedal, this is when I notice the car literally lurching forward.
2. When I start the car and leave it in park for a minute or so, the whole car kind of shakes a bit. It goes away after I'm out of park. I've never noticed this on any other car I've owned.

These are my two concerns. Anybody have any knowledge of this?
Otherwise, I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer. And having them take a look at it.

Thanks for your help!
azogumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

the lurching seems like a real concern.

While our H6 is smooth as glass at all times, my WRX does sorta go through 'cycles' of wobbling/vibrating a little. Even though boxer engines eliminate an entire set of harmonics vs inline 4s, they still have 3-4 other modes of vibration.

I suppose it's possible both your problems could be related - but some vibration is to be expected.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Don't know about #2 but the 2.5 CVT is known to "lurch" at times when moving very slowly and turning. It's the engine compensating for the power steering draw. You can repeat this: while standing still with brake applied slowly turn the wheel, you will feel the engine rev a bit from the load on PS. It's "normal".
OBnube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBnube View Post
Don't know about #2 but the 2.5 CVT is known to "lurch" at times when moving very slowly and turning. It's the engine compensating for the power steering draw. You can repeat this: while standing still with brake applied slowly turn the wheel, you will feel the engine rev a bit from the load on PS. It's "normal".

good idea, get a sense of what your car feels like after the above test, then go test drive another '12 model and see if it does the same on the dealer's lot.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll try this out and let you guys know what happens! Thanks for the tip
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine has a cold start up "shake". A few moments after starting, the engine acts like it is about to die or stall, rpms decrease and all of a sudden the rpm's increase. The sudden change in rpm causes a brief shake.
My car also lurches after a cold start. Rpm's are racing along at at 1700 or so and if I put it in drive or reverse it wants to lurch. Firm brake controls unwanted movement.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly like you described. Watched the RPM gauge go up when turning the wheel, and go down when steering wasn't in use. I appreciate your help.
But on the part of Subaru, I can't believe that this is acceptable!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Mine has a cold start up "shake". A few moments after starting, the engine acts like it is about to die or stall, rpms decrease and all of a sudden the rpm's increase. The sudden change in rpm causes a brief shake.
My car also lurches after a cold start. Rpm's are racing along at at 1700 or so and if I put it in drive or reverse it wants to lurch. Firm brake controls unwanted movement.
Mine is also from a cold start. As far as the lurching is concerned, I'm thoroughly unimpressed that Subaru put passed that on as "normal"
Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited

Yes I've noticed the same with mine.. I was thinking it had to do with the break-in period. However it does have a smoother start up when I'm out driving it more, but first like in the mornings it always wants to shake itself off....interesting must be a Gen 4 OB thing.
slidog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2002 BMW 325i, 2007 SS Trailblazer, 2012 Acura TSX Wagon

If you guys think thats bad, try driving a DSG equipped VW or a new automatic Ford Focus. Good Lawd those are awful when cold.
gonzo08452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: