paint/upholstery protection plan? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2006 OB 2.5i Special Edition
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default paint/upholstrey potection plan?

I've ordered a 2006 OB 2.5 SE and need to decide on paint & upholstrey protection plans.

My dealer offers a 6 yr paint option with surface rust warranty for Cdn $400 and a 6 year fabric guard with a rip/tear/burn warranty for Cdn $300.

Take both and you save $100.

Have you had any experience making a claim or are these plans good value?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

I did it when I purchased the car and I am dissapointed about one thing...I went to get mine renewed and the local dealer told me I had to go to the dealer that sold the package.

So basically if the dealer where I bought the package was no longer around, no one else would do the work.

Check on that before you purchase it.

Brian
Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 09 Murano and a 350Z... no more Outback

First, welcome aboard, and congrats on the new car!

I'd ask a few questions here. Who is the warranty through? The dealer? Some aftermarket company? I've never heard of a rip/tear/burn protection plan, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

If you're a slob, or have kids, I'd certainly do *something* with the fabric. I don't know exactly what's involved there, but it's entirely possible you might be able to do just as good a job yourself with a couple of cans of Scotch-Guard or similar. (I'm contemplating that myself.)

As for the "paint sealer," as it's often called, I dunno. You live in an area where they salt the crap out of the roads, so it might be a good thing. How long do finishes usually go before surface rust sets in? Probably people from your side of the continent should chime in here.

Remember two things: 1) all this stuff is negotiable. There's a very high markup on it. 2) The big print giveth, the fine print taketh away. Read carefully.

Good luck.
blastoff99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

The company offering it through my dealer is SYM-TECH.
I haven't made the committment and I know that these options are a cash cow fro the dealer. So I'll find out the if these options have value and try to negotiate with them.

As I see it, if I say no to these options, the dealer has lost the opportunity to generate marginal dollars from me so "x' dollars over their cost is better than zero. I don't think they have more cars than customers.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: MY04 Subaru Outback 3.0R

Also check if there is any obligation on your behalf such as annual inspections/reapplication (for a fee of course).
chrisx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kiwi Moderator

Car: Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i

I never heard of such plans - and they sound like a waste of money to me.

If you must, why not put the same amount of money into a seperate bank account earning some interest and use that if you have any issues with paint or upholstery.

Insurers offer these policies for one reason - they take more in premiums than they pay out.... maybe you could take the money and buy shares in the insurer instead of the savings account?
Current - MY08 Subaru Outback 2.5i (Pearl White)
Current (Classic) - 1973 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Series I (Primrose)
Former - 1998 Subaru Legacy Lancaster (JDM Outback)
Former - MY05 Subaru Outback 3.0R 5A/T (OB #4)
Former - MY03 Subaru Outback H6 VDC Limited "Old Red" - Gone but not forgotten!
Ottiehund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2005 OB XT Li
Send a message via AIM to TwoWheels00

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

You can buy GREAT leather protectant for $20, and it will last you a LONG time. They don't have some space-age product that no one knows about, it's just a service charge for profit.

The paint protection is BS also. They rely on Subaru's efforts with the paint and clear coat. You can buy your own waxing set w/ acrylic paint sealant and get a nicer job done, with yearly re-coats.

You could buy the best products on the market to clean and protect your car (and do it whenever you want) and it still wouldn't be as much ast the protection plan.
TwoWheels00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT

is the paint plan JUST against rust? the fabric one sounds like a joke
snowon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Recruit

Thank-you so much for all your thoughts and insight.
I'm not going to spend the money the paint protection or fabric guard.
I'll get several cans of Scotch Guard that will do the trick and keep the car clean and polished.

I don't know about the paint protection. It might be a clear coat but again I'm not buying.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: Trading 2002 Forester in for a 2015 Outback Premium with EyeSight and rear radar.
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Bukosky
Default No actual users?

I've not seen a response from someone who bought it or had experience with it. Just opinions and everyone has one of those. I'm interested in it because of the limited choices of interior colors for 2015. Black or warm ivory. I have a 2015 Outback on order. I have a Siberian Husky and black anything is bad to have. The carpeting is black but no choice there. I opted for warm ivory but am concerned about stains and general darkening from dirt on clothes and the few times the dog gets into the seats rather than his place in the back.

As much as Subaru targets off road activities and dogs in their marketing, I think there should be an interior option for dog owners and people frequenting the outdoors as in my geocaching. My 2002 Forester has a nice grey interior that was a good compromise for dog fur.

Previous to the Forester, I had an '88 Ford Taurus. I used two cans of Scotchguard on it and don't recall stain issues, but only had the Husky for a short time before I got the Forester. That had a great fabric upholstery. Too bad the car as a whole was a mechanical mess.

I bought a similar option for a 2013 Nissan Sentra that my wife has. I bought it because the car is leased and the plan included some damage forgiveness upon lease termination. The paint on my Forester is still good after 12 years so not too concerned there. Just the upholstery. So, other than the puncture and rip "warranty", is a couple cans of Scotchguard just as good in preventing staining of light upholstery?

Actual experience please.

Steve Bukosky
Steve Bukosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: