Hood latch diagram /problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Hood latch diagram /problem

Hello and sunny day from Big Sky country.
I have a problem with my hood latch release cable. I think it has come undone from the front latch. Meaning that I 'popped' the hood using the inside release....checked what I needed and now I can't get the hood to completely shut. It will latch on the front latch so it won't blow up in wind but I think the cable came undone. I have been very unsuccessful finding a diagram to be able to fix it.
I checked my repair manual last night and no diagram included for this area......HELP???? I thinks its pretty simple and worst case I start fiddling around but would love to have the diagram to not have to do that.
Arrrghh!
Thanks very much for your help/ideas if anyone has any. I have a 98 OB.
subnme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
H6 Power!

Car: 2004 Subaru Outback 35th Anniversary Edition, H6 3.0 4EAT

Is it possible that the latch might have moved to the closed position? All you need to do is to reopen the hood latch via the release inside the car to pop it back open and then close the hood. The cable attachment is on the outside of the latch, as disassembly of the hood latch is not recommended due to the strong springs under tension inside. If it is only the cable, look for a small lever near the cable bracket and that is where the cable attaches to the latch release lever.
RCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

I apologize if I miss something here in my reply. I can't see the answer when I am replying so going off memory

The hood release inside the car just 'swings' back and forth . Not locked back into its place if you will. The cable at that inside lever still looks connected.
When I lift the hood and look down I can't see the cable or where it goes. I assume its the cable that sits right along the edge of the entire engine compartment and looks like it runs in front of the radiator ? The hood latch on the outside looks fine and it hooks the the front one so it will stay down just won't shut all the way.
I am missing something I am sure but I can't see where the cable hooks to anything as you mentioned. Should I have to take anything off /apart to see/fix what you were referring too??

Thanks for your patience.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

*oh...scroll down a bit and I can see what you wrote as I reply..oops.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
H6 Power!

Car: 2004 Subaru Outback 35th Anniversary Edition, H6 3.0 4EAT

Since the lever inside the car swings freely, the cable might have become disengaged or broke at the release lever. You'll have to get under the dash and find out if the cable has broken at that point. If the cable hasn't broken and is still attached to the release lever, then the release lever on the hood latch may have become stuck. Just go WD-40 crazy on the hood latch to lube it up and get it working freely again.

You can remove the latch assembly from it's bracket, but don't take apart the inner workings!

Hope this helps.
RCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: