Subaru Outback Forums banner

Remote Starter/Keyless Entry

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JMURA1 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2011 Outback from a would be reputable dealer. Upon delivery of the car they told me they only had (1) key and were ordering another. The car has a factory remote starter with (2) key farbs. After I got home I realized that I had no keyless entry remote. Initially I thought the remote starter key farbs were all I needed. The key they gave me was a valet key only. After reading the owners manual I found that the keyless entry remote is part of the main key and there should be (2) main keys and (1) valet. I called the salesman and asked him what key was ordered and he said it was one with keyless entry remote. I said I should have (2) main keys with keyless remote and he said (1) key must remain installed in remote starter system in the vehicle. Is this true ? I asked why the valet key was not the key used for this . he could not answer me. Is he being straight with me ?

#2 ·
You don't have the Subaru OEM remote start then. You are correct that they should have used the valet key instead of a main key for that application. My Outback came with 3 keys (2 main, one valet) and 2 remote start fobs, I have the OEM remote start. When you go to get the second key, ask them to swap the valet key into the remote start system and give you your remote key back.

#3 ·
Does your key fob look like this?

That is a Subaru OEM remote start key fob. It does NOT require a key to be installed with it. I'm betting you have an aftermarket remote start, and they SHOULD have used the valet key for that.

#5 ·
Then your dealer screwed you out of a key with remote. With the OEM system (if the remote looks exactly like that, Subaru branded and all), no extra keys are needed. The remote gets programmed like a key would, no "hidden key" needed.

When they get you all the keys you need/want, they ALL need to be present at the time of programming, as do the remote start remotes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.