how long to replace ignition coil and wires? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Outback, 2.5L, 5 speed manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how long to replace ignition coil and wires?

Hello...my local Subaru dealership is quoting me over $200 in labour to repalce an ignition coil and wires. I'm not a mechanic but I understand that you remove the spark plug wires, remove the ignition coil (a couple of bolts) and do the reverse to install the new coil and cables. In my opinion, that should only take about a 1/2 hour. Thoughts/comments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
we don't call them stealerships for nothing.

even if the book time is an hour, $200 sounds high. do it your self.

what car, engine, trans, year miles?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Outback, 2.5L, 5 speed manual
Hi..thanks for the reply.

2009 Outback wagon, 2.5L gas, 5 speed manual, 34,000 miles

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It's an easy DIY job. Just a bit tricky to remove the three bolts holding the coil on the back of the intake manifold (because of the angle/access), but quite doable. I did it on my 07. I took my time but surely, for an experienced mechanic, not more than one hour.

I doubt they're charging $200/hour, so it must be the time. What are saying? I can't imagine the book time being more than an hour. Is that all they're doing? Not the spark plugs?

Might I ask why the coil and wires have to be replaced at 34,000 miles?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post

Might I ask why the coil and wires have to be replaced at 34,000 miles?
Exactly, totally unnecessary. The plugs, wires and coil packs are part of the PCM/ECU engine management system. You will get a check engine light and a code if there was a problem with them. Leave them alone and find an honest, independent shop to maintain your Subaru.

'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, LS3
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Exactly, totally unnecessary. The plugs, wires and coil packs are part of the PCM/ECU engine management system. You will get a check engine light and a code if there was a problem with them. Leave them alone and find an honest, independent shop to maintain your Subaru.
What he said! ^

If a coil fails you will get a cylinder not firing ie your running on three vs 4 etc. It is about as obvious as getting plunked in the noggin by a sledg hammer when this happens. Subaru coil failure is extremely rare by the way. And yes engine light will go on when a coil fails.

My 2001 2.5 was on its original coils at 180,000 miles and ran GREAT. Plugs were changed at 100K and were found to be very clean. The wires were replaced at that point also. Engine performance and mileage did not change with the new wires and plugs at 100K.

My 2001 VW 1.8T Jetta had multiple coil failures - VW basically wrote the book on how not to source and put cheap coils in cars. When the coils started to fail the driver generally notices an odd hiccup with the engine as if it missed etc the engine light on the dash might flash or come on then go off etc. Then very soon after noticing the hiccup the coil will completely fail at which point engine light on the dash will come on and stay on and at low speeds the engine is clearly not running correctly given only three cylinders are firing etc. There is one coil per cylinder by the way.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Car: 2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
Even for all the other vehicles I have, wires and plugs are scheduled at 60k. At the bear minimum at 60k, I can see the plugs according to service schedules.

2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, Special Appearence Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, Navigation, Puddle Lights, Moonroof, Back Up Camera, BlueTooth, Smart Remote Start, Arch Moldings, Moon roof/Hood deflectors,Dual Heated/Power Seats HK Audio, Curt Class III Trailer Hitch, All Weather Package
1995 Porsche C4 993, Black/Black, LWF, Rennsport Chip, Bilstein HD's, ROW/Sport suspension
1977 Ford Bronco Sport, Light Jade, 351w, 3" Lift
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 PM

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
The reason they are quoting you $200 is that they are listing each as a separate item and billing the book minimum of an hour for each operation(coil 1 hour/wires another hour).You get the joy of paying for the same hour twice. Even if you did need a coil (which I doubt), to remove it you have to remove the wires at the coil end. So the wire removal is already half done as part of another operation. They should not bill this way, but many do. Any decent shop would bundle connected operations under the same minimum. It should be one hour total for labor.

My other car is a Subaru.... Come to think of it, so is my other other car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
A friend of mine has a Honda Civic... 1999 or 2000 model. At 25,000 miles, it started to misfire. I told her it seemed like bad plugs, and surely enough, the manual said they should be changed at 25,000 miles. Guys what happened at 50,000 miles... You could set a watch by it! I thought all cars were using 100,000 mile spark plugs by now. Way to go! Honda!

-Jesse

SOLD: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, AWP. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch, 19mm RSB, coil SumoSprings on rear.

2015 Fiat 500c Abarth cabrio.
2016 Kia Sedona
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM

I stood next to my mech while he did one H6 coil. Less than an hour, including removing belly-pan. Plug looked fine, so left untouched. Car has 100+Kmiles on it.

If coil DOES need replacing, you will get a check engine light and code first, and the car will run very unevenly as if someone poured water into your gas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: