Door Edge Guards for 2013 OB - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Door Edge Guards for 2013 OB

As we all know the rear doors of the 2010-2013 OB are huge and have a huge swing. In less than 3 months we have managed to skim the paint off the edge of at least one of the rear doors which with me being a detail freak is very disappointing. I have convinced the dealer to give me a bottle of touch up paint free of charge (car manufacturers used to give this stuff away when you purchased new vehicles in the 1980's). I know there are door edge guards out there that are reallly tacky, but is anyone aware of something that does a good job but is not very noticable? We have a 2013 OB. Also the paint does not seem to be very durable. Has anyone else encountered durability issues with the paint on the OB's?
hiker74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where did this happen? Next to the taillights? There's a problem with the 2012 and 2013 models where the hatch can scrape the plastic taillight cover and chip the paint. There's supposedly a TSB on this.
mparker762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth

Its actually on the door edge not the rear hatch. I believe the rear hatch issue was on the 2012
hiker74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

I too am looking for a nice looking solution. I've looked into clear 3M film, but can't find anything in a decent price range. My carport isn't wide enough to open the door all the way, and with a carseat in the back, the doors inevitably touch the house occaisionally.

As for durability of paint. In my experiece Subaru paint is on the thinner side. On my last 3 Subarus they all seem to chip and nick easier than most. I have read it's due to the fact that Subaru uses a "greener" paint than most, so with that trade off comes less durable finish than the "good ole days". Supposedly most manufacturers are moving towards similar paints.

I haven't had another "new" car other than a Subaru so I can't comment to it's durability compared to other new cars.
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4Legacy View Post
I too am looking for a nice looking solution. I've looked into clear 3M film, but can't find anything in a decent price range. My carport isn't wide enough to open the door all the way, and with a carseat in the back, the doors inevitably touch the house occaisionally.

As for durability of paint. In my experiece Subaru paint is on the thinner side. On my last 3 Subarus they all seem to chip and nick easier than most. I have read it's due to the fact that Subaru uses a "greener" paint than most, so with that trade off comes less durable finish than the "good ole days". Supposedly most manufacturers are moving towards similar paints.

I haven't had another "new" car other than a Subaru so I can't comment to it's durability compared to other new cars.
Have you considered installing/removing the car seat before entering or after leaving the carport?
All modern auto paints are brittle. You can thank the EPA for our environmentally friendly water based paints.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker74 View Post
I know there are door edge guards out there that are reallly tacky, but is anyone aware of something that does a good job but is not very noticable? We have a 2013 OB. Also the paint does not seem to be very durable. Has anyone else encountered durability issues with the paint on the OB's?
when i had my front windows tinted the installer asked if i wanted the door edge gaurd protector thingies... he wanted $90 for all 4 doors.

i opted to have the front two only and paid $45

very stealth and install was very clean.

he warranties for as long as i own the car and they're still around - lol.

i can get a pic later.

joel
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

3M Clearbra/Lamin-X can be used for door edges.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Poor pic, sorry!

Joel
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

upflying.. yes, we try to do that. Mostly she just parks it in front of the house where it's not a problem. But when it's raining outside, I'd rather risk dinging the door

Myself, I don't want to hassle with taking the kid inside, get him settled then go back outside and move the car, all the while being that D**K that parked on the sidewalk instead of pulling into his driveway.

JAvendan, that is exactly what I am looking for. But I don't know that I want to pay $90 for it... however a lifetime guarantee might make it worthwhile. I'll call my local tint shop.

Thanks!
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I bought some clear u-shaped strips and put them on the door edge. I don't remember what they're called, but they're available from any auto parts store and have been around for decades at least. They have a soft plastic sticky substance inside the channel so they stick to the door edge. You'll have to replace them every few years as the sticky stuff eventually looses its stickiness, but they're very cheap...
mparker762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: