Blue Suede Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Car: 97 Legacy Outback, 04 WRX, 88 DL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue Suede Outback

Beginning to work on my 97 OBW. This will be my log for interior modifications on my car (not certain if this should be moved to the gallery or gen 1 topic so feel free to move it moderators). The idea is to make an sti interior with blue on black, I'm beginning to find ways to incorporate red and have black as the background color. After much research I found the cheapest I could get the blue alcantara material was about 65$ per yard so I settled for a suede material I found on clearance at Joann's for 4$ per yard. With no experience with upholstery or interior work like this I didn't want to start on an expensive material like alcantara where I knew I would make mistakes. Suede is a very easy fabric to work with and appears to be tough enough for high traffic areas like the center console arm rest. Fading due to sun exposure is yet to be seen.

The dashboard has some sun bleaching so the next thing will be flocking the dashboard black(flocking kit is still in the mail). The front seats will be changed out with sti seats once I find a descent source for them. New floor mats and stereo with an sti wheel and she will be done! I will post more pictures as the project comes together.

As a side note I have posted this on Nasioc and SL-I boards so I apologize if anyone has already read this there. I am trying to gather as much feedback as possible to better hone the finished product to a quality Subaru.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderDragoon View Post
The dashboard has some sun bleaching so the next thing will be flocking the dashboard black(flocking kit is still in the mail). The front seats will be changed out with sti seats once I find a descent source for them. New floor mats and stereo with an sti wheel and she will be done! I will post more pictures as the project comes together.
I looked at the pics before reading the post. The above rectifies the issues I noticed. Good job, it's gonna look slick when it's done.

Enjoy your Outbacks
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Car: '15 STi and '13 GTI
Not my cup of tea, but you have done a good job applying the material.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Flocking kit finally came in from http://www.donjer.com. Was about 50$ but enough flocking material to cover approx 130 sq ft. This weekend we'll see how it turns out on the dash but I might try it on smaller pieces before then. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t107...your-dash.html is an example of where I'm going with this:

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 AM

Car: (oldR.I.P) 99 outback, auto, 98k | (new) 98 outback, mt, 76k
I dig this a lot! Keep up the great work!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Started with flocking a few small pieces today. I must say I am thoroughly amazed with the results of the flocking kit from donjer. I thought I would start with the dome light between the sun visors. I will write up a full DIY later if there is interest. Keep in mind these pictures were taken with my phone and do absolutely zero justice to how good this glistens in the sunlight.

Final pictures coming tomorrow as I'm just installing it and it's dark out.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
looks great, i may end up doing this one day

who cares about resale value? this is an outback, not getting something else til at least 200k miles!

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
I'm with iainb, not my "cup of tea". But I'll give you great credit on application. Looks great, and I'm sure you'll get the look you are trying for. The flocking looks great!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, a second blast from the past in one day. Flocking was big in the fifties and sixties for model car interiors.

I'm not happy....till you're not happy
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I was originally introduced to it by a friend when we were discussing what to do with our dashboards. He said the WRC cars have flocked dashboards and we started looking into it. I was thinking of wrapping it in Alcantara but the material is quite expensive and I'm no upholstery professional.

Hard to tell in the pictures as it looks almost shag-like in the closeups. This material has a very present yet subtle sparkle in the sunlight with a soft texture. I am completely happy with the results and will be doing the dash with this process and other interior pieces. I am currently torn between wrapping the a/b/c pillars in suede vs flocking black.... Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: