Outback 2014; Forbidden question? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Outback 2014; Forbidden question?

Can I ask this? (Im new here). Does anyone have any info on the 2014 outback - since I see a wealth of info on the 2014 Forester redesign.
I was hoping my Outback would hold out till the 2014s are out so I could see the redesign and choose - but my car may not last that long.

Just wondering if there is any news on any details.
I will kick myself (and my new car), if I have to buy and then a few months later the new 2014 is announced with finally improved gas mileage.

S
Sequoia225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia225 View Post
Can I ask this? (Im new here). Does anyone have any info on the 2014 outback - since I see a wealth of info on the 2014 Forester redesign.
I was hoping my Outback would hold out till the 2014s are out so I could see the redesign and choose - but my car may not last that long.

Just wondering if there is any news on any details.
I will kick myself (and my new car), if I have to buy and then a few months later the new 2014 is announced with finally improved gas mileage.

S
The current Forester is the oldest vehicle in subaru's line up. It sits on a platform originally designed back in the late 90's ie the old Legacy Platform which is why Subaru could not offer it with the new CVT - given the CVT does not fit the old platforms.

The Current Gen4 ground up completely new Outback/Legacy was launched in 2010 - any major changes probably will not be seen till late 2015 and even then I suspect it will only be engine changes such as offering more fuel efficient DI engines.

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything major being changed with the Gen 4 Outback for some time
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

By the way the 2013 Outback got Subaru's first major ground up engine redesign just this year - so your not going to see any engine or mileage changes for 2014

Also as much as people around here like to bash the 2.5 all the other AWD 2.5 vehicle offerings are returning similar or worse mileage than the OB does and in many cases those vehicles are smaller than the OB also.

So the argument about more power - or better mileage needs to apply to all of the offerings across the board before Subaru really needs to be concerned about doing anything about it.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

As mentioned, the 2014 OB will likely be identical to the 2013. Save a few interior option upgrades.

Subaru has kept a fairly consisent 5 year model cycle with the Legacy/OB. With a mid-cycle tweak on year 3. 2008 models had different headlights/taillights and a few more options. 2013 has a tweaked front end and some more options. Odds are the 2015 OB will look different than the Gen 4. It will likely be the same dimensions in general. I think they will offer DI too, as they are rolling it out in the Forester XT.

The reason you see so much about the 2014 Forester is because it's a major redesign. Look for 2015 OB "spy shots" next fall
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation

The only rumor I have heard was potentialy a diesel option in the 2014 Subaru line in the USA but it may not be the Outback. The dealership mentioned it may be the Crosstrek XV.
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, Special Appearence Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, Navigation, Puddle Lights, Moonroof, Back Up Camera, BlueTooth, Smart Remote Start, Arch Moldings, Moon roof/Hood deflectors,Dual Heated/Power Seats HK Audio, Curt Class III Trailer Hitch, All Weather Package
1995 Porsche C4 993, Black/Black, LWF, Rennsport Chip, Bilstein HD's, ROW/Sport suspension
1977 Ford Bronco Sport, Light Jade, 351w, 3" Lift
2013OB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6 Limited

Yeah 2014 is the final year probably of Gen 4 and they already did a huge update for 2013 so virtually guaranteed there will be no changes. Maybe some new colors but that's about it.

2015 will be the big refresh as far as body design changes. Although even that is doubtful as Gen 4 already was big change in design...so I am thinking just a few other engine options or transmission options.

Don't tempt me Subaru. I'm sticking with my 2013. This is a keeper!
Mods: STi 19MM rear sway bar, STi pedal set, GT Spec rear strut brace, LED lights, Forester stainless exhaust tips, Alpine 235BT, JL Audio speakers, Dynamat Xtreme, Subtle dead pedal, Bosch ICON wiper blades, stealth turn signal bulbs, Cree LED DRL's, SAP Edition headlights
Scoobie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013OB View Post
The only rumor I have heard was potentialy a diesel option in the 2014 Subaru line in the USA but it may not be the Outback. The dealership mentioned it may be the Crosstrek XV.
Ive been hearing this almost every year for the past 4. I am reluctantly giving up on Subaru putting a diesel outback in the USA market. I was thinking (AGAIN) maybe next year - but after reading this I am giving up:
Subaru Diesel and Hydrid rumors

Nevermind, that my OB isnt going to last even another 6 months so it looks like Ill be getting a 2013.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Nevermind, that my OB isnt going to last even another 6 months
do you want help trying to make that happen?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Ive been hearing this almost every year for the past 4. I am reluctantly giving up on Subaru putting a diesel outback in the USA market. I was thinking (AGAIN) maybe next year - but after reading this I am giving up:
Subaru Diesel and Hydrid rumors

Nevermind, that my OB isnt going to last even another 6 months so it looks like Ill be getting a 2013.

Thanks everyone for your input!
LOL - zero reason for Subaru to even look at diesel in the US market when they offer the most fuel efficient full time AWD vehicles sold to start with. And they haven't even tapped the DI engine tech which is just sitting on the shelf waiting for the day when the marketing peeps start to scream that they need a new carrot to hang out there to keep selling cars.

2015 OB might see some various engine options which involve DI tech but outside of that don't expect any major changes beyond color - and snap on / plug in options.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
do you want help trying to make that happen?
I would LOVE that to happen but after the expense Ive been through with it this year and it STILL isnt "fixed", I am not sure what to do.
What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: