08 Outback engine needed - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 08 OB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 08 Outback engine needed

I am looking for a used engine for my outback. All the engines I find are out of cars with automatic transmissions, and I have a manual trans. Will they fit?? The used parts dealers say no. Some mechanics I speak to say no and some say yes. Does anyone here really know? My VIN has a 6 in the sixth position, 2.5L, SOHC, CA emissions.

Respectfully,
Kurt in NH
kmasters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: White 2011 Outback 3.6 R Limited

From past experiences in engine swapping, the engine blocks for a given type engine are all cast and machined the same way. The bell housing, either MT or Auto is what determines fitment. IMHO any 2.5 should fit just fine..

Mods; King springs, hood deflector, window vents, 2" Hidden Hitch, transmission oil cooler, seat-covers, Tanabe strut bar, 19 MM RSB, Primitive skid plates, K&N air filter, tinted windows, blacked out foglight surrounds, Wheel arch moldings.
OutbackUFO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

How does a 4 yr old Outback need a new engine? What happened?
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
How does a 4 yr old Outback need a new engine? What happened?
It had 95K on it when we bought it 2 years ago. Now has 165K. I have been told that we are at the high end of what to expect to get out of it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 01 ll Bean h6

did a mechanic tell you that? i dont see why you cant get another 160k if you take care of it.
Bootski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's what we thought. It was a guy at a salvage shop that said it- not a Subaru mechanic. But what are your thoughts on the swap? A different salvage yard says the MT and AT have different cranks.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's an '08 with a bad engine, another thread had an '07 with a bad engine. This isn't making me feel too good about my recent purchase of an outback. I had a Kia Spectra and Suzuki Esteem that both went to 200K miles before they ate it. With my current outback I have an Accord with a tad under 200K miles and besides needing to throw in a quart of oil every few weeks, it's still fairly solid. I'll see how this experience goes for me but I'll easily be out of the Subaru fan club if anything serious goes wrong for me.
jesseP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

We'd all be out of the club if those two posts were par for the course. Subaru sold approximately 187,000 cars (of all models, USA only) in each of 2007 and 2008 model years. The vast majority of them had the 2.5 engine. I couldn't find anything that broke it out by engine type, but let's say 3/4 of them were H4s. That's roughly 280,500 cars that did not get talked about on the internet for blowing their engines. I like my chances.

Remember that the internet brings huge visibility to any issue, and in the right circumstances you can destroy any engine with 0 miles on it.
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
It had 95K on it when we bought it 2 years ago. Now has 165K. I have been told that we are at the high end of what to expect to get out of it. . . . . It was a guy at a salvage shop that said it- not a Subaru mechanic.
If there's no distinct symptoms (problems) with your engine suggesting it be replaced, and if it has been properly maintained and not abused, there's no reason to replace it with one that is totally unknown.

Getting to a (one) more specific detail, the engines used with manual transmissions have an additional timing belt guide. (See attached.) I'm not sure if this can be added to an engine that had been used with an AT, but imagine it can. Nevertheless, that's probably one reason why parts lists don't show interchangeability.
Attached Thumbnails
08 Outback engine needed-tb.jpg  
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 85BRAT82BRAT92SVX92SS06outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmasters View Post
It had 95K on it when we bought it 2 years ago. Now has 165K. I have been told that we are at the high end of what to expect to get out of it.
nonsense.
my parents 06 outback is about to turn 299k on it this coming week.
And no signs at all of any issue, course dad just installed a new passenger headgasket, as it was leaking oil out the bottom.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: