Outback or Tacoma - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Moonroof package
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

As a related point, I received my Subaru Gold Plus Added Security agreement today. Covers 7 years and/or 100,000 miles.
On page 4GP (the exclusions page), Item #5 reads, for a breakdown caused by neglect, abuse, racing, or others forms of competition, towing a trailer or another vehicle.

I must say I was surprised to see that it listed an exclusion for towing when the vehicle has a listed tow rating. What is the current gas mileage for the Tacoma?

My opinion would be to keep the truck. I agree with the previous poster, heavy traffic in the Subaru will not yield the savings you are hoping for. In my situation, I traded in a Nissan Titan that was returning 13.x mpg for my commute. I am now at 25.x mpg. That coupled with less expensive gas and I am saving quite a bit monthly.

Just my 2 cents,
Paul

Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Holy Cow! I think this is the first forum I've ever been on, where such a question gets honest answers. I read the post, because I figured everyone would give major kudos to the OB and bash the truck, like other forums, but sure do appreciate the honesty. I've been on here toying with the idea of selling my GX470 and getting a simpler, easier to manage OB, but there are capabilities the GX has that I have a tough time parting with, but do use on occasion. I have no room for a 3rd car, so I keep tossing around the idea.

Like the Tacoma, the GX eats just about everything you throw at it. It tows like a beast, eats snow and ice and I've even had it buried up to it's axles in silt (by accident) trying to get up to an awesome biking trail without issues. The cost of gas and maintenance is making me look for other options, but as been said here, I'll have to give something up with regards to capabilities and the RAV4 has even been a consideration, but RAVs are really noisy inside and the 4WD system is questionable. They are a serious rocket though. The OB keeps seeming to win out for me, but we'll see.

Keep the honest post coming. I'm interested too.
rj4510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasOutback View Post
As a related point, I received my Subaru Gold Plus Added Security agreement today. Covers 7 years and/or 100,000 miles.
On page 4GP (the exclusions page), Item #5 reads, for a breakdown caused by neglect, abuse, racing, or others forms of competition, towing a trailer or another vehicle.

I must say I was surprised to see that it listed an exclusion for towing when the vehicle has a listed tow rating. What is the current gas mileage for the Tacoma?

My opinion would be to keep the truck. I agree with the previous poster, heavy traffic in the Subaru will not yield the savings you are hoping for. In my situation, I traded in a Nissan Titan that was returning 13.x mpg for my commute. I am now at 25.x mpg. That coupled with less expensive gas and I am saving quite a bit monthly.

Just my 2 cents,
Paul
Notice that is a breakdown CAUSED by towing that is not covered, not breadowns not covered because you towed something. They would have to prove that the issue was caused by towing (i.e trans failed with a trailer hooked up rather than trans failed and the car has a hitch). Even if a trailer was hooked up at the failure, it would be hard to say it caused the failure if the trailer was well within the towing limits. Although you might need to get a lawyer involved to settle the claim.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wagondude, I was just very surprised to see that Subaru specifically put that towing was an exclusion in the extended service contract. I agree if you are within limits I think you may have a chance.
Paul
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

The GX470 is a nice vehicle. But I understand that some maintenance can get expensive. Make sure to check out the maintenance section on this board to see what Subaru recommends and what the dealers recommend.

The Subaru OB is a great vehicle and feels under the radar (I mean that in a good way). I blend into traffic and probably drive in a more conservative manner (with the 2.5 and CVT it is best to drive conservatively). Whereas a Lexus, BMW or other luxury brands lend a very different image.

In my household we are looking down the road at having a few new drivers in the next few years and are trying to plan accordingly. I find the OB a great value and has the poor weather capability I wanted for the occasional ice/snow storms we get in the Midwest.

I think coming to this Board and asking a respectful question is a great way to get honest feedback. Best of luck in your decision.
Paul
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

my mother in law keeps telling me that my outback is "not a truck." meaning i constantly use it where normal people would use a truck. an outback will be fine for you. trucks are stupid unless they are actually being used for their intended purpose, most trucks don't see that.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just returned home to SF Bay Area traffic SUCKED! GOING TO AND FROM LA. 30mpg for the tank getting there and 29.5 mpg getting home. Passed a couple ofTacos headed over the grapevine. Pretty sure we had the smoother more enjoyable ride. I would get a taco if I were tossing a light weight 4x4 pop top camper on it. Other than that the 2.5 cvt hands down for road trips. Managed to make the trip this time with no roof gear. Two kids +crap even the highchair and big stroller went.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car: No Subaru at the moment.

Admittedly, the numbers are skewed a little because I just don't drive that many miles, but I wouldn't "save" anything by having a 2nd vehicle (plus maint & tags & insurance) with great mileage -vs- just driving my 2003 Tundra 4x4.

I also have a 2004 Astro Cargo RWD & 2005 Outback XT Limited. I PREFER to drive them, depending on the circumstances, but the fuel savings never offsets the other costs.
Michael Aos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.

I tow this trailer with my 2.5i Outback:

It weighs around 1,500 pounds loaded up. I get 21-23 MPG towing it, including in the hills of western MD and PA. No problem at all with power. The tires on the trailer are rated to 65 MPH, so that's the only thing keeping my speed down (that, and common sense).

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, AWP. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch, 19mm RSB, coil SumoSprings on rear.
mcbrew is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

I have a 08 OB 2.5i with the 4speed auto. I have towed my Colman Taos popup and it tows fine, but it is not speed demon. I am certain on some of the uphill climbs like the I-68 cut (just past the I-70 kick off on the way to Cumberland) that the OB will be in the slow lane with the trucks going up the climb.

The OB can do most of what that Taco can do if you get a trailer but since you will loose your shirt trading in the Taco, why not try and get a Mazda3 to commute in? They get 40mpg and Mazda is offering 0.0% for 60 months +500 cash back on the 2012 Mazda 3.
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: