Outback or Tacoma - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2013, 2.5I, Limited+eyesight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I tow this trailer with my 2.5i Outback:

It weighs around 1,500 pounds loaded up. I get 21-23 MPG towing it, including in the hills of western MD and PA. No problem at all with power. The tires on the trailer are rated to 65 MPH, so that's the only thing keeping my speed down (that, and common sense).
Nice. 13inches model right?
pdaeng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies View Post

I think you should keep the Tacoma. You will lose a lot of money selling or trading a 2010 model, and you wont save all that much in gas.

If you can afford the expense and are able to have two vehicles, buy another cheap used car for traffic, some FWD two seater that gets 30 mpg in the city - for example a Honda Fit. When it snows you can take the Tacoma.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I would have to disagree with you on anyone owning 2 cars (instead of 1) to save money..... esp. OP live in Metro DC (COngested area) where insurance rate are much higher,... any gas saving (from the smaller 2nd car)will not pay for additional insurance premium.
awd-gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #23 (permalink)

I am in a similar situation, except I tow exclusively in the mountains at very light weight (<1k pounds).

The six speed is outstanding mounted to the 2.5 w/ light loads. The paddle shifters are so, so, so nice when towing on serious grade at 8k feet. I love engine breaking w/ a flick of the wrist.

If I were to tow 2k poundsI would not want the 4 cylinder. If I were to tow more than 2k pounds I would not want an Outback.

The Tacoma is a fun truck and it looks miles cooler than an Outback according to the tactful and perfect tastes of this young man. Practically speaking, the Outback destroys the Taco for 95+% of auto consumers, myself included.

The benefits of driving a truck cannot match the pitfalls unless you need a truck. It's not 1995; don't lie to yourself and pretend the gas price differential is meh. It's not meh; do the math. If a few hundred a month doesn't mean anything to you I'd imagine you'd be shopping a different class of vehicle.

In the winter morning commute, you better be caffeinated and ready to roll come 5 AM w/ a live rear axle. The subaru drives like a dream. This matters to me. I save about 200 a month in fuel compared to my Taco-owning co-worker who has almost the exact same commute as myself.

That's nice to have.

I took my Outback elk hunting. Hit some gnarly patches in the heart of the Rockies. It was great. I probably saved 100 bucks in fuel just screwing around chasing elk over the course of 3 days compared to my f150 buddies. Just attach a cargo hauler to the back and you're good.

There isn't much an Outback can't do.
mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #24 (permalink)

You may want to look at the Forester as well. Better approach/departure angle for your off road needs... it comes with Turbo and it's new model coming up next year (with CVT and even better MPG).... and cheaper to buy!

Maybe Diesel but don"t bank on it happening in North America.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: No Subaru at the moment.

If you figure 1000mi/month, 25mpg vs 15mpg, $3.50/gal.

You might spend $100/month less in fuel.

I used to drive a little '91 Legacy wagon FWD instead of my '99 Discovery Series I.

Bought the Legacy for $500. Drove it for several years. Probably spent $2K in maintenance on it, and sold it for $800.

The Legacy Wagon got an honest 30mpg vs about 14.5mpg in the Rover.

Now I have a 2003 Tundra & 2005 Outback XT.
Michael Aos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Aos View Post
If you figure 1000mi/month, 25mpg vs 15mpg, $3.50/gal.

You might spend $100/month less in fuel.

I used to drive a little '91 Legacy wagon FWD instead of my '99 Discovery Series I.

Bought the Legacy for $500. Drove it for several years. Probably spent $2K in maintenance on it, and sold it for $800.

The Legacy Wagon got an honest 30mpg vs about 14.5mpg in the Rover.

Now I have a 2003 Tundra & 2005 Outback XT.
You guys need to weigh the loss of a paid for vehicle sold or traded for a price that really is not much value to someone who might have space to keep the vehicle and enjoy using it for things they don't want to use their Subaru for.

I happen to own 3 vehicles all three are paid for one is a 2001 VW my wife drives to the train station it has 55,000 miles on it. Not worth selling - and sure nice to have. My other non subaru vehicle is our large 8 passenger SUV which sees about 4-5000 miles a year hauling family and friends - again paid for and really not worth selling and very nice to have. Our primary every day vehicle and in many cases our main road trip car is the Subaru simply because its comfy we fit in it and it gets good mileage.

Someone that owns three vehicles can still opt to drive their most fuel efficient vehicle option and yes it saves money. And no selling an old paid for car you have no issues keeping in many cases is not worth selling if you have no issues paying the fees associated to it.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
I happen to own 3 vehicles all three are paid for one is a 2001 VW my wife drives to the train station it has 55,000 miles on it. Not worth selling - and sure nice to have. My other non subaru vehicle is our large 8 passenger SUV which sees about 4-5000 miles a year hauling family and friends - again paid for and really not worth selling and very nice to have. Our primary every day vehicle and in many cases our main road trip car is the Subaru simply because its comfy we fit in it and it gets good mileage.

If your wife is only putting 5000 miles/yr on her car, Just sell her VW(the next time something breaks down on the VW...lol). and let her drive the large SUV.... Why bother paying insurance and maintenance (and with VW, who know how much that is). on the VW....
Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-gg View Post
If your wife is only putting 5000 miles/yr on her car, Just sell her VW(the next time something breaks down on the VW...lol). and let her drive the large SUV.... Why bother paying insurance and maintenance (and with VW, who know how much that is). on the VW....
Train/bus station parking lot=dings galore. Let the older, cheaper vehicle get the abuse.

I'm not a fan of having extra vehicles (even though I have one, LOL), but for some the additional costs just aren't an issue.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car: No Subaru at the moment.

Between my wife and I, we've found that having 3 vehicles is REALLY handy. Once we get to 4 though, it's becomes a hassle with parking and shuffling stuff around. She parks her RDX in the garage and my (currently) 3 vehicles sit outside.

I'm trying to convince her we should buy a little cargo trailer when we sell the Van, but she's just not going for it.
Michael Aos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-gg View Post
SUV does not fit in the parking spots at the train station. That is issue #1. Wife hates driving it issue #2

I have a close by family member who often uses the truck in some cases also. Cost for us is not an issue unless the VW starts puking up parts and starts costing major bucks to keep running. So far knock on wood it has only been about $400 a year. No doubt soon to change now that I've mentioned it.

If the cost of two older used vehicles which see low miles during the year is an issue for us then I need to sell my boat and sell our rental property too. The cars are of little cost especially when driven so little. But we do use them enough to keep them.

When the grand parents who are close by are no longer so into going all over the place with the grand kids - we will probably sell the 8 passenger. If the VW bites the big one - we will probably get a Hard top Conv - used fun car SLK 350 or something like that. Two cars might be possible in 5-7yrs but once the kids are driving we will be back to 3 cars again. Which cast at that point I'll probably buy a cheap mid sized basic 4dr pickup toss a light 4x4 camper on it so I and the wife can have an escape pod.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: