Outback or Tacoma - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Outback or Tacoma

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am looking for advice. I've never owned Subaru, but rented one while on vacation and loved it.

I currently own a 2010 Toyota Tacoma and am considering selling it and getting an Outback. Originally I bought the truck because I wanted to get a camper, but decided not to get the camper. However, I do have an ATV and have to tow it to the trails; possibly hundreds of miles.

Anyhow, with the prices of gas on a constant rise I am seriously considering selling the Tacoma and getting an Outback.

Most of my driving is in the metro dc traffic and the Tacoma fuel costs are getting expensive.

I'm looking for some advice and information from Subaru owners to help me make a decision.

One question I have is, how well will the Subaru be able to tow a 1000# load through the mountains?

I used to own a Rav4 with a 6 cylinder and used it to tow my atv. It wasn't too bad.

My concern with the Outback is the possible lack of power using a 4 cylinder to tow. However, I like the idea of better gas mileage while commuting, etc...

Any thoughts, comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hacktorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R and 2012 Impreza sport 5 door

look at the capabilities of a 3.6r gas will still be significantly better then the tacoma and they have 256 hp. I had a 4x4 crew cab tacoma and the gas ate my wallet.
livluvgrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

You will get 15 mpg with the OB while towing that ATV.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback H6, 97,700 miles.

I towed my 14' aluminum fishing boat filled to the brim with gear, with my 2005 3.0. No problems what so ever, and I got about 21mpg to boot! Think of how often you tow, vs how often you drive without a trailer.
Jackle1886 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
I towed my 14' aluminum fishing boat filled to the brim with gear, with my 2005 3.0. No problems what so ever, and I got about 21mpg to boot! Think of how often you tow, vs how often you drive without a trailer.
Probably 98% of my time is spent driving without a trailer. I probably pull a trailer twice a month, no more than 4 times per month.
hacktorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '15 FXT

Maybe you could rent one with a hitch and see if it works for you? I have the 2.5 and towing 1000 pounds is no big deal to me.

Car power issues are different for everyone. Some people feel they need a 15 second car even when towing. Some don't mind merging on the freeway @ 35 mph. I'd say the OB is somewhere in the middle.

Common sense, isn't common.
Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
Default Tacoma vs Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am looking for advice. I've never owned Subaru, but rented one while on vacation and loved it.

I currently own a 2010 Toyota Tacoma and am considering selling it and getting an Outback. Originally I bought the truck because I wanted to get a camper, but decided not to get the camper. However, I do have an ATV and have to tow it to the trails; possibly hundreds of miles.

Anyhow, with the prices of gas on a constant rise I am seriously considering selling the Tacoma and getting an Outback.

Most of my driving is in the metro dc traffic and the Tacoma fuel costs are getting expensive.

I'm looking for some advice and information from Subaru owners to help me make a decision.

One question I have is, how well will the Subaru be able to tow a 1000# load through the mountains?

I used to own a Rav4 with a 6 cylinder and used it to tow my atv. It wasn't too bad.

My concern with the Outback is the possible lack of power using a 4 cylinder to tow. However, I like the idea of better gas mileage while commuting, etc...

Any thoughts, comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What you are looking at is 2 different vehicles all together. One is a truck, with a V6, designed to tow and for rough terrain, etc. The other one (and I will focus on the 4 cyl. variant) is a very nice crossover, fuel efficient and comfortable ride, which can take SOME rough road and very limited towing. I really don't believe the vehicle is designed to tow very much and it is limited to approx. 1,500 lbs per manufacturer manual. Unfortunately one vehicle to do all isn't very likely to happen. If you are towing thousands of miles every year, keep the truck and buy a cheap little car for city driving. I drove lots in DC and I know what you are talking about. I have a Tundra and an Outback now and they each have their advantages and disadvantages. The truck burns a bit of fuel, but it has lots of power, while the Outback is awesome for my wife in the winter or even for long trips if we are not towing anything or carrying substantial loads. It is basically a wonderful vehicle, fuel efficient, but not for towing, not very powerful and for sure not a sports-car either. If you look at the 6 cylinder instead, it is a lot different, but so will be the gas mileage... likely not much different than the Tacoma. Get the cheapest little impreza and stay w/ Tacoma for your towing needs.
Good luck!
AllWhiteOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not to disagree, but here is my experience. The towing ability of the new Outback is 2700 lbs. I would not tow that bit tow 1500 without any problem just about anywhere with the CVT. Also outback handles up to class 3 off road if you are careful. For most purposes this is about 95% of what most people so when they go off road. With only 1000 you could tow your Atv up most trails. Tacoma is a great truck off road. Just did 150 miles in Death Valley on class 3&4 in the Tacoma and outback could have done just about all of it.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
SNIP
A V6 RAV4 hauls @ss- it has the 3.5 liter 269 bhp (246 ft lbs) VVT engine and being so light (3500 lbs approximately), it is a real hot rod. I owned one for four years. It has way, WAY better performance than a four banger Outback (except the XT Turbo)

You won't get especially good fuel economy with any OB in traffic. They are not very efficient cars, though the new Impreza does pretty well with it's low powered engine.

I think you should keep the Tacoma. You will lose a lot of money selling or trading a 2010 model, and you wont save all that much in gas. And the Tacoma is far superior for towing your ATV and for crawling around nasty forest roads. It is a well built, highly capable body-on-frame vehicle, and I would think long and hard before getting rid of it. It is a much tougher vehicle than a unibody Outback

If you can afford the expense and are able to have two vehicles, buy another cheap used car for traffic, some FWD two seater that gets 30 mpg in the city - for example a Honda Fit. When it snows you can take the Tacoma.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies View Post
A V6 RAV4 hauls @ss- it has the 3.5 liter 269 bhp (246 ft lbs) VVT engine and being so light (3500 lbs approximately), it is a real hot rod. I owned one for four years. It has way, WAY better performance than a four banger Outback (except the XT Turbo)

You won't get especially good fuel economy with any OB in traffic. They are not very efficient cars, though the new Impreza does pretty well with it's low powered engine.

I think you should keep the Tacoma. You will lose a lot of money selling or trading a 2010 model, and you wont save all that much in gas. And the Tacoma is far superior for towing your ATV and for crawling around nasty forest roads. It is a well built, highly capable body-on-frame vehicle, and I would think long and hard before getting rid of it. It is a much tougher vehicle than a unibody Outback

If you can afford the expense and are able to have two vehicles, buy another cheap used car for traffic, some FWD two seater that gets 30 mpg in the city - for example a Honda Fit. When it snows you can take the Tacoma.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
+1 to this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: