Auto-Hypochndria? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Unhappy Auto-Hypochndria?

I first came to this site because I needed help with my 2000 OBW. I got lots of good advice and some that was not quite on the mark. Similar to the advice I give now. lol

I wonder if you have the same problem I have here. Sometimes while looking at an answer to my question I find another angle that I had never considered, which gets me thinking or even worried about another problem I didn't even know my car had. Also, I can just be browsing through the threads and see a topic that interests me and suddenly believe that the little annoying symptom my car has is something really serious or at least in need of my attention or worse, cash. So, if I didn't look here, I wouldn't have "found" a new problem to worry about. Is ignorance bliss?

I am like one of those folks who reads a book on psychology and is sure I have the mental illness that I am currently reading about. But, the deal here is the illness I am reading about concerns my car, not my brain. Oh wait a minute... maybe this is crazy.

Any thoughts?
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

***SLOWLY***
Step away from your computer. Delete this forum from your bookmark.
LOL

Forums are "full of problems" so to speak, so they are a very easy clearing house for vehicular issues and folks opinions of them. So you will see lots of issues...and to that end ignorance may be bliss for you.

Internet is full of people guessing, opinions that aren't based on facts, people that are too concerned with statistical practicality (raises hand), regurgitating information, talking about things they've never personally done before, or recounting one anecdotal experience...etc. So it does take some practice knowing who to listen to and who has actually done what you're asking many many times - that's who you want to hear from.

So yeah - don't let it bring you down. These forums are just tools and are a great resource if you can become proficient at using them.

Sounds like you are prone to worry...it's just a car, ask questions if you need to and we can help.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

With great power comes great responsibility.

Your car isn't much different from any of ours; that's the point of this board. You are reading about lots of things which are statistically likely to eventually happen to yours if you keep it long enough. You may well have identified one or more in its latent form. Now, compared to your auto repair skill inventory... can you handle it?

I'd say that ignorance is bliss, but informed operation is sometimes cheaper.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

I know what you mean - at least as it concerns the fuel pump cap in my wife's car. I can't stand thinking it's like the Sword of Damacles.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
***SLOWLY***
Step away from your computer. Delete this forum from your bookmark.
LOL
Excellent tactical response. Good reflexes!
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Stare into the spiral please....
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default What, me worry?

Quote:
I can't stand thinking it's like the Sword of Damocles.
Oh great. So now I'm moving from overly cautious to paranoid. My teenaged daughters will confirm this hypothesis.

I think it's a lot like Occam's Razor. When I read about a symptom that I truly believe relates to my car, I should step back and think about the fact that the simplest conclusion is the truth or that my intellectual burden is weighing me down with too many "worst case scenario" options, leading to projections that my car is cursed. Or I could have been guided to that page by some benevolent higher power (Use The Force Luke) that wants me to see that failing head gasket and heal it before some real damage occurs. Not everything is about your Subaru man. What about your family? They can hold the flashlight and hand me tools.

I'm calling a shrink. As long as he doesn't drive a Subaru. That's all we'd ever talk about.
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback 2.5I and 14 Legacy 2.5

LOL, I just informed my wife this morning that I had the same illness.... I am on here and the Porsche site for my 911. I ve done this for years with no help in sight. I once tried to stay off the computer but fell off the wagon in a very short time.
In my defense,,, I do most of my maintence so I NEED this information.
I am currently suffering from the worry of the dreaded HG leak. I am sure I have a better chance of being struck by lightning. I am sure most shrinks drive a Mercedes or Porsche so I think you are safe.... Too funny.
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: