LSD rear end ID - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

Car: 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.2L AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

seems i spoke too soon. I finally found a very useful link, very suprised how similar they are. according to this, i do have a LSD

LSD vs Open guts
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Wow, subtle difference! So when the LSDs go, it's because the clutch plates have worn out?

I wonder how much more expensive the LSD is to produce...doesn't look like it could be all that much worse. Makes you wonder why Subaru didn't put it in everything that didn't have VDC.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

No clutches. Its a fluid based coupling sort of like the torque converter in an automatic transmission, but the fluid in a vlsd is silicone based and thickens up as its heated. The coupling I beleive is attached to the smaller gear that the axle slides into inside the ring gear. The coupling tries to keep that smaller gear and the ring gear spinning at the same speed, when slippage occurs the fluid heats up and start the "effect". Once the smaller gear and ring gear are spinning the same speed again, the spider gears can then tranfer the power to both wheels evenly. This all happens in split seconds
Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Great pics, and link! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
Wow, subtle difference! So when the LSDs go, it's because the clutch plates have worn out? . . .
The plates themselves are not in contact with each other (at least they're not supposed to be), so normally they don't wear out. However, the plates are very close to each other and are perforated. There's a special viscous fluid between the plates. Alternating plates are attached to one side gear and to the differential case. When they turn at different speeds, which happens when one wheel spins relative to the other, the fluid between the plates heats up due to the "shearing" effect between the plates. As a result, the fluid "gels". Because the gelled fluid is not only between the plates but through the perforations, when it becomes stiff it resists the relative movement of the alternating plates.

I believe the most common failure in the V-LSD is the seals, which separate the plate area from the rest of the differential. (It's that extended "housing" to the left of the crown gear in the pics.) Once the seals go, and the viscous fluid either leaks out, or becomes mixed with the gear oil in the differential, the gelling effect is lost. Loss or mixing of fluid could happen very slowly over a long time. The seals might still cause the drag that leads to both wheels turning in the same direction when manually rotated, but the LSD won't be effective.

See also the attached description from my 2007 FSM, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous_coupling_unit, which has photos of the plates (not Subaru LSD but essentially the same idea).

(p.s., woops, see I doubled with no64terry).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Limited Slip Differential (Viscose Coupling) 193748.pdf (68.6 KB, 57 views)
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Subaru Tester

Other than the bushing bolts, the swap was painless. Axles clicked right in but wont be able to test it until I put the motor back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: