Outback owner stereotypes - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 View Post
At one time, I had a photo of my Outback loaded for war. I can't seem to find it right now. I probably had 30 guns and 50,000 rounds of ammo in the back of it one weekend when I went to a shoot.
Sweet...you should audition for that TV show Doomsday Preppers. Let's see the pic if you can find it.

I think the OB kind of looks like a military vehicle.

Mods: STi 19MM rear sway bar, STi pedal set, GT Spec rear strut brace, LED lights, Forester stainless exhaust tips, Alpine 235BT, JL Audio speakers, Dynamat Xtreme, Subtle dead pedal, Bosch ICON wiper blades, stealth turn signal bulbs, Cree LED DRL's, SAP Edition headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm a liberal ex-stoner doing graphic art on a Mac and own a golden retriever. I didn't buy an Outback. It was left to me. Someone up there knew I fit the bill.
post #23 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 AM

Car: 97 Outback 188,000 Miles
I am an old liberal from back when it was not a dirty word.

I am a hetero female so when Paul Hogan from Crocodile Dundee made Outback commercials it came to my attention.

I own two dogs.

I also am trained in the ballistic arts.

So in some ways I fit the stereotype, in others not so. I must have been who they were hoping to sell to or I wouldn't have fallen for their rustic Australian spokesperson.
post #24 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 AM

Car: 2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
I traded in my Lincoln Navigator for an Outback. I also drive a Porsche C4 993 that will do 172mph and is AWD, and a 1977 Ford Bronco Sport.

I cover all the specs of the car world---Grocery Getting Lesbian Mobile, cheating spouse sports car, and a really kick ass old school 4WD SUV!!

Cant drive 4 blocks in the SL.UT Valley without seeing an Outback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 993 2.png
Views:	334
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	26326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco August 12th 2012.png
Views:	299
Size:	961.3 KB
ID:	26327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020110 (2).jpg
Views:	444
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	26328  

2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, Special Appearence Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, Navigation, Puddle Lights, Moonroof, Back Up Camera, BlueTooth, Smart Remote Start, Arch Moldings, Moon roof/Hood deflectors,Dual Heated/Power Seats HK Audio, Curt Class III Trailer Hitch, All Weather Package
1995 Porsche C4 993, Black/Black, LWF, Rennsport Chip, Bilstein HD's, ROW/Sport suspension
1977 Ford Bronco Sport, Light Jade, 351w, 3" Lift
post #25 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback Obsidian Black - Blacked Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobie13 View Post
Sweet...you should audition for that TV show Doomsday Preppers. Let's see the pic if you can find it.

I think the OB kind of looks like a military vehicle.
Doomsday Preppers, while it shows the world what you CAN do...it really makes those people look stupid. Amongst my circle of friends, we watch it and laugh at it at the ridiculousness that is shown, not only by the people on the show, but the people who produce the show. It is very poorly done. I don't want any part of that.
post #26 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM

Car: '02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
Durability, practicality, fun to drive, dependable...etc. Maybe the OB is associated with an older generation (I'm 45) because we have gotten out of or system tire shredding, gas eating, giant vehicles, and want a vehicle that simply does what it's supposed to do. I see one other Gen 2 on the road occaskonally and we always give each other a knowing nod. I also met someone with a 2013 who said she liked my Gen 2 better than her brand new Gen 4. I couldn't get her to trade but convinced her that she bought a wonderful car.
post #27 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
I bought my Outback because it met my needs, and I really liked the way it felt and drove when I took a demo ride. I liked my OB well enough that when my Honda CRV died in a crash I bought another Subaru, an Impreza, as my second car. I was totally unaware at the time that there are such strong stereotypes about Outback drivers in particular and wonder where these started from. The two in particular that I have heard are that Outbacks are "lesbian cars", and that Outbacks are driven only by "old" folks. My wife teases me when we drive and approach another OB, and it does seem pretty common that the driver is a senior citizen (as I am myself), but I can't figure out where the first stereotype comes from. I do get a good laugh about this.
Not sure where you live but most Subarus are driven in New England and Colorado. S.F. Bay area/Tahoe/Truckee has quite a few as well.
I would also say lot of previous (or current) owners of SAABs have them as well - and that is a very "specialized" group of people; people who like "odd" designs in this world, yet quite unique. In Europe that group likes Citroens - one of the best cars that I have ever owned (Citroen XM) and driven.
post #28 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
I am an older man, also ride a couple of motorcycles, have a CCW, been married for almost 40 years, live in the mountains. The older I get, the more I find I have in common with lesbians. I understand them, because we share many of the same values. Gay guys, I don't understand. But I am not insulted if someone call me a lesbian.
post #29 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM

There are plenty or Subaru cars in the Pacific North West. I've never heard about any association of this brand either with LBGT freaks or treehuggers or anything else of this nature. I'm a Libertarian though and my OB more often carries guns and ammo in its cargo than groceries.
post #30 of 209 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Car: 2013 White Outback 2.5 Special Appearance Package
I'm a 31 year old surfer who lives on the Gulf Coast of Florida.

I def don't fit the standard "sterotypes" of an outback owner.

I also Just came out of a lifted 4 door wrangler and sold my 05 Bmw 330ci w/ sport package and chose a special appearance pack Outback

However my other car is a Infiniti G35 when I need my power fix!

My first Subaru and I'm absolutely in love with it.

I put my dakine pads on the racks and usually carry a paddleboard or surfboard with me. I think this makes an awesome surf car and look forward to traveling in it with my girl and our two pups.

after looking around online I do see this car gets some funny stereo types but I say the **** with them.

This thing is sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: